Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Europe's Stark Options

Europe's Stark Options

Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Europe's Stark Options

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
Oh, OK. Crackpots, irrational. Fine by me. I think we both defined whom we admire. You call an ex-partisan, lifelong anti-fascist character a "harridan" and "a crackpot peddling irrational bile". Personally, I admire someone like that.

I think you're just trying to make a caricature here. Lack of arguments?
I don't think I've said who I admire. Personally I have a great regard for Charlie Watts.

Fallaci caricatured herself. It's difficult to see how she could have advanced reasoned debate by introducing defecation.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ok. Let's move on.
I'm not clear on who you think counts as a European. Do you accept that Trevor Phillips is a European? How about Mohamed Al-Fayed or Rachida Dati? They're three people having wildly different histories and belonging to different cultures but geographically on the same continent.
You're talking about people, I was talking about countries/cultures, not about inept (and ultimately racist) notions as the Blutrecht. A pure-breed Scott, born in the heartland of Scotland is actually what he is because he grew up there, in that specific culture; had he been brought up in, say, China, he would've been Chinese, no matter what his chromosomes would've shown.

Hence, my answer is: Trevor and Rachida are British and French. Not hyphenated-British, not hyphenated-French. British and French. Mr. Al Fayed is Egyptian - and I don't see that as anything inferior (or superior!) to being British. But he-is-Egyptian. For me, that is.

And, by the way: you know, don't you, what kind of comments has Ken Livingstone been making about Trevor? the BNP-enrollment thingie? It's got the "wow" factor, innit? just like in Orianna's case...
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:42 am
frothing loon mk 2

hamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud ofhamshank has much to be proud of

You're talking about people, I was talking about countries/cultures, not about inept (and ultimately racist) notions as the Blutrecht. A pure-breed Scott, born in the heartland of Scotland is actually what he is because he grew up there, in that specific culture; had he been brought up in, say, China, he would've been Chinese, no matter what his chromosomes would've shown.

Hence, my answer is: Trevor and Rachida are British and French. Not hyphenated-British, not hyphenated-French. British and French. Mr. Al Fayed is Egyptian - and I don't see that as anything inferior (or superior!) to being British. But he-is-Egyptian. For me, that is.

And, by the way: you know, don't you, what kind of comments has Ken Livingstone been making about Trevor? the BNP-enrollment thingie? It's got the "wow" factor, innit? just like in Orianna's case...
just google christians in pakistan
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

I don't think I've said who I admire. Personally I have a great regard for Charlie Watts.

Fallaci caricatured herself. It's difficult to see how she could have advanced reasoned debate by introducing defecation.
By voicing out her fears? after actually seeing people urinating in the streets?

May I remind you that, in one of my previous posts I had said "yobos", not Muslims, or Gypsies or any other specific nationalities. A "yobo", in our current context, is someone who has very different values (if any) than those of the society s/he lives in. I wouldn't urinate on a basilica or a monument or any other thing or symbol other people may cherish. That is, unless I were a yobo - someone who has knows what X means something to someone, but who couldn't care less. Sociopaths, asocials - yobos... From the Romanian Gypsies who devoured the Viennese swans of Schoenbrun years ago, to the inept youth who urinated on that cenotaph in Ottawa - they're all yobos. For me. YMMV.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the idea that people are defined by where they grew up and can never emigrate and integrate would, if widely believed, greatly reduce the support effort for this board.

Ken Livingstone's rhetoric is similarly irrational to Orianni Fallaci's, yes. I don't think much of him either.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

By voicing out her fears? after actually seeing people urinating in the streets?

May I remind you that, in one of my previous posts I had said "yobos", not Muslims, or Gypsies or any other specific nationalities. A "yobo", in our current context, is someone who has very different values (if any) than those of the society s/he lives in. I wouldn't urinate on a basilica or a monument or any other thing or symbol other people may cherish. That is, unless I were a yobo - someone who has knows what X means something to someone, but who couldn't care less. Sociopaths, asocials - yobos... From the Romanian Gypsies who devoured the Viennese swans of Schoenbrun years ago, to the inept youth who urinated on that cenotaph in Ottawa - they're all yobos. For me. YMMV.

Ms. Fallici's defecators were specifically Muslim. She introduced the idea of sacred sites. That's hate speech and questionably legal in Canada.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hamshank
just google christians in pakistan
Sorry, the Monday factor must be kicking in: I don't quite follow. Here are the first results of my googling:

1. Pakistan Christian Post
2. Pakistan Facts - Christians besieged in Pakistan
3. MISERIES OF CHRISTIANS IN PAKISTAN- Islam attacks Christians in ...
4. Pakistan's Christians are extremely fearful of Muslims
etc.

Er... what's that got to do with Trevor's cultural identity? Being Christian in a hardcore Islamic country is not a walk in the park - but who's ever doubted that? And - Trevor? what's he got to do with it?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:58 am
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all

"An extreme secularism predominates in Europe, especially among its elites, to the point that believing Christians (such as George W. Bush) are seen as mentally unbalanced and unfit for public office. In 2005, Rocco Buttiglione, a distinguished Italian politician and Catholic believer, was denied a position as Italy's European Union commissioner because of his views on such issues as homosexuality. Entrenched secularism also means empty churches: in London, researchers estimate, more Muslims attend mosques on Friday than do Christians churches on Sunday, although the city is home to roughly 7 times more born-Christians than born-Muslims. As Christianity fades, Islam beckons; Prince Charles exemplifies the fascination of many Europeans with Islam."

The rest of a lengthy, but worth reading article about Islam in Europe, can be found here:

http://www.danielpipes.org/pf.php?id=4323
Pat Condell sticks it to some "politically correct jackasses," from North America, on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ZLXbKeL2U

I wouldn't want to argue with PC.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

Sorry, the Monday factor must be kicking in: I don't quite follow. Here are the first results of my googling:

1. Pakistan Christian Post
2. Pakistan Facts - Christians besieged in Pakistan
3. MISERIES OF CHRISTIANS IN PAKISTAN- Islam attacks Christians in ...
4. Pakistan's Christians are extremely fearful of Muslims
etc.

Er... what's that got to do with Trevor's cultural identity? Being Christian in a hardcore Islamic country is not a walk in the park - but who's ever doubted that? And - Trevor? what's he got to do with it?

I too googled and puzzled.

DaveTheCat, do you intend to go to Canada? If so do you know that the population is at least as diverse as that of Europe, mosques are common and tolerance is a policy even of the current right wing government?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Ms. Fallici's defecators were specifically Muslim. She introduced the idea of sacred sites. That's hate speech and questionably legal in Canada.
Oh, OK. For me, it would've been hate speech (in fact, the speech of a lunatic) if she had said "I hate Chileans and I think they will one day smear this or that with their faeces". But she described what she saw, instead. Why would she be guilty of "hate speech"? Wasn't that you saying that in a PC-driven Toronto, the local police intentionally omit the ethnicity of the criminal? I thought you derided this Inspector Fowler logic: "you can call me a pig, but NOT a green pig!" (if you remember the Thin Blue Line).
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by RobinHood
Pat Condell sticks it to some "politically correct jackasses," from North America, on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ZLXbKeL2U

I wouldn't want to argue with PC.
I can't say I've heard of him before but the link says he's a comedian. He doesn't seem very culturally sensitive. Is he the new Bernard Manning?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

Oh, OK. For me, it would've been hate speech (in fact, the speech of a lunatic) if she had said "I hate Chileans and I think they will one day smear this or that with their faeces". But she described what she saw, instead.
But she didn't. She imagined it, I'd say hallucinated it.

Wasn't that you saying that in a PC-driven Toronto, the local police intentionally omit the ethnicity of the criminal?
Yes. I think that's silly. In the case of physical description the ethnicity of a person is relevant. It's not the same as saying everyone of that ethnicity is somehow evil.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:11 am
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all

I can't say I've heard of him before but the link says he's a comedian. He doesn't seem very culturally sensitive. Is he the new Bernard Manning?
You make your own mind up whether he's a racist. He certainly likes to take the mickey out of religion and the US regime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f01IBDoZGg
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

I too googled and puzzled.

DaveTheCat, do you intend to go to Canada? If so do you know that the population is at least as diverse as that of Europe, mosques are common and tolerance is a policy even of the current right wing government?
I've been living in Canada for some years now. Before Canada, it was Down Under. Before that, China. Before China, France. And I'm talking years here, not months, that's why I'm not mentioning stints in other countries (Italy, Germany, Russia, etc).
And, what's got diversity to do with cultural definitions? Good lord, you're implying that I'm a racist who won't fit into the Canadian society, aren't you? If I say that enclaves and ghettos (ethnic or otherwise) are harmful to any society and that integration has never negated any specific personal/ethnic identity, that makes me a fascist in your eyes?

Good Lordy Lord... (Disclaimer: Just a figure of speech. I'm not a religious person).

Last edited by DaveTheCat; Jul 30th 2007 at 8:29 am.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by RobinHood
You make your own mind up whether he's a racist. He certainly likes to take the mickey out of religion and the US regime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f01IBDoZGg
He's simply wrong about America. I wonder if he's been there. He seems ill formed, rambles a lot and isn't funny but I don't think there's any racism in this link. In the link above he's unpleasant about Muslim women but it's schoolboy stuff, he doesn't like their clothes, but I don't think that's racism either. He just seems a typical ranter like you'd try to avoid in any pub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.