Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Europe - places to visit

Europe - places to visit

Old Apr 26th 2015, 1:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Europe - places to visit

Originally Posted by quiltman
...I used to stay there 3 or 4 times a year on business. the hotel Beau Rivage is on the lakesdie ...
Were those your reviews on Tripadvisor?
Old Apr 26th 2015, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Nope! Never ever posted review on Trip advisor. Just the hotels our Swiss distributor (who lives in Nyon)booked us into. Purely personal experience. Like the Beau Rivage, except in January when the spray from Lac Leman froze on the railings and road. got a photo somewhere - I'll look for it later.nice restaurant about 50 metres away. speciality is the lake fish - delicious. there's a mongolian restaurant on the main highway - think it's called Le Periquito , the Parrot.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Used to also stay in Rapperswil-jona, south of Zurich whilst visiting company in Pfaffikon.
lovely town on the Zurichsee. Rapperswil means rose town. Has old castle and churches.
Stayed at either Hotel Schwanen or the Best Western - the Hirschen, I think it was.
About 30/40 minutes from Zurich, train station right by lakeside, nice day out from Zurich.
I used to cover all of europe for about 17 years before I retired and found some lovely places. Hated staying in the big cities, unless I had no choice.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 1:02 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say I hope you have lots of pleasure planning your trip You can't plan to go Europe and miss out a quick visit to Holland, Amsterdam is great and I think Mastricht is a beautiful City...with some fantastic restaurants (happy gastronomic memories from there) although the weather in Holland is always a bit dodgy...but from your Mil's point of view it's flat, and the people are always charming.

I don't like Rome, I used to, but the world's woes seem to have really come home to roost there, economically and socially.

Paris is fun, very good value, epic memory possibilities and the Parisiens are great....I have never understood why they get a bad rep.

Very happy trails!

Last edited by MillieF; Apr 26th 2015 at 1:06 pm. Reason: Missing apostrophe
Old Apr 26th 2015, 1:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Just to say I hope you have lots of pleasure planning your trip
It's a diversion from the other stuff right now although still only at the 'ideas' stage.
You can't plan to go Europe and miss out a quick visit to Holland
I think I've had my fill of Holland. I like it too but I've been a few times and traveled around a lot on a rail pass.

Paris is fun, very good value, epic memory possibilities and the Parisiens are great....I have never understood why they get a bad rep.
Absolutely. There's just so much there too. I didn't even mind the overpriced croque monsieur in Les Deux Magots.

And although my French isn't any good, the stepkids and MIL speak it. Well, the Quebec version anyway.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I thought Geneva was fairly boring. Pretty enough but sterile. I took a pleasant train trip along the lake to a place whose name I can't remember but it was more lively with a great castle out in the lake. Montreuil? I have to check out Google maps and get back to you.

Edit

The chateau de Chillon. I loved it. Exactly what you think a castle should be

Chillon Castle - The medieval fortress on the shores of Lake Geneva near Montreux is the most visited monument in Switzerland

I went there and back in a day using the train and bus from Geneva suburbs. It also looks like you can get ferries from Nyon to France though the Cateau de Chillon is within spitting distance.
Montreux...and they have a huge jazz festival in July... Montreux Jazz
Old Apr 26th 2015, 6:31 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Montreux...and they have a huge jazz festival in July... Montreux Jazz
And the Golden Rose TV Awards
Old Apr 26th 2015, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And the Golden Rose TV Awards
Hmm, can't say I had ever even heard of those awards!!! I obviously don't get out enough! lol
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:39 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
If you are planning on using the budget airlines, bear in mind that it can cost twice as much to check a suitcase as it does to buy a seat. Last year we spent a few days in Paris, then flew to Stockholm, then to Rome and back to Paris again. Flights cost between 19-60 euros each, with Stockholm to Rome being the most expensive. To check a bag was 50 euros...
An excellent point. The fares I saw involving Venice looked ridiculously cheap and that could be why.
I found some Easy Jet fares that were £26 pp and a 20k suitcase was £12, so could still be cheap enough. Not that a case each would be needed.

As much as I'd like to do a train journey, I'm seeing Easy Jet for the same journey for less than half the cost of the train.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:42 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I found some Easy Jet fares that were £26 pp and a 20k suitcase was £12, so could still be cheap enough. Not that a case each would be needed.

As much as I'd like to do a train journey, I'm seeing Easy Jet for the same journey for less than half the cost of the train.
Is that the full price? Whenever I check EJ these days the final price ends up
2-3x the initial quote.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:51 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
2-3x the initial quote.
...and it'll cost you that much again to get to where you want to go from an airport some distance away from the city. Check carefully where they fly to and from: a colleague was once a little dismayed to take a low-cost flight to Vienna (I think it was probably on Ryanair rather than Easyjet, but the principle's often the same) and ended up in Bratislava. Granted, not too far away, but before Slovakia joined the Eurozone in 2009 it must have caught a few people out when they didn't have appropriate currency for a phone call or a cab fare.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 7:32 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Shard
2-3x the initial quote.
I priced up four one way flights (Geneva to Nice) and the whole thing was £104 and £12 a case. Train fares for the same route were £78 pp.

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
...and it'll cost you that much again to get to where you want to go from an airport some distance away from the city. Check carefully where they fly to and from...
Yes, that is another consideration. It may vary quite a bit from place to place.

I know Nice airport is close and a cheap/short bus ride into town.

Geneva-Nice by air @ £104 and, say, 2 cases for £24 is £128 all in.
By train 4 @ £78 is £312. That's £184 available to get to Geneva airport.

However, that's the cheapest flight I found and not necessarily the cheapest rail tickets.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 7:52 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
...and it'll cost you that much again to get to where you want to go from an airport some distance away from the city. Check carefully where they fly to and from: a colleague was once a little dismayed to take a low-cost flight to Vienna (I think it was probably on Ryanair rather than Easyjet, but the principle's often the same) and ended up in Bratislava. Granted, not too far away, but before Slovakia joined the Eurozone in 2009 it must have caught a few people out when they didn't have appropriate currency for a phone call or a cab fare.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Used to also stay in Rapperswil-jona, south of Zurich whilst visiting company in Pfaffikon.
lovely town on the Zurichsee. Rapperswil means rose town. Has old castle and churches.
Stayed at either Hotel Schwanen or the Best Western - the Hirschen, I think it was.
About 30/40 minutes from Zurich, train station right by lakeside, nice day out from Zurich.
I used to cover all of europe for about 17 years before I retired and found some lovely places. Hated staying in the big cities, unless I had no choice.
I visited Rapperswil in 1995 as I had a friend living in Mannedorf to the north. Nice town with nice views of the hills. It is a rather sedate upper middle class town in Switzerland. Highlights include seeing the Orient Express pull into the train station in Mannedorf and seeing it from our friends apartment. Low points include crap indonesian food along the lake edge in Rapperswil at highly inflated prices.

For a nice Swiss village, Oberwald ticked the boxes for me.
Old May 14th 2015, 12:06 am
Oscar nominated

I had been wondering about Nyon as a base rather than Geneva due to accommodation cost.

Nyon is a lovely little lake town....gets quite busy in summer with tourists...and on mainline to Zurich. Lake boats dock by the Beau rivage and a Swissrail ticket gets you free passage on them.
Some very pleasant restaurants in the town centre.
Yes, geneva is relatively expensive, but so is most of Switzerland.
I have discovered Annecy, not far away. It looks an absolute peach of a place and I have found several accommodation possibilities all better situated for much less than Geneva. Looks an even better bet than Nyon while allowing a visit to Geneva should we wish.

Right now it throws open an overnighter in Venice too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.