Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Estate Agent dilemma... help appreciated!

Estate Agent dilemma... help appreciated!

Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:53 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate Agent dilemma... help appreciated!

the new agent sounds like a realtors version of an ambulance chaser. I'd call your original agent and tell him/her of whats transpired and see what they say and outline why you are doing so.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:58 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If it were me, legal stuff aside, I'd offer the old agent a split the difference sort of thing. i.e. 2% instead of 3. That way s/he recuperates the outlay plus a good amount and you save 1% of the selling price.

Just my 2 euro centimes worth.

PS I hear it's been snowing a bit over there? Quelle domage.
Dommage peut etre?

What's the French for ner ner nuh nerh neh?
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:03 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Dommage peut etre?

What's the French for ner ner nuh nerh neh?
I think it's typo, typo, typo, but I'll have to ask the missus.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If it were me, legal stuff aside, I'd offer the old agent a split the difference sort of thing. i.e. 2% instead of 3. That way s/he recuperates the outlay plus a good amount and you save 1% of the selling price.

Just my 2 euro centimes worth.

PS I hear it's been snowing a bit over there? Quelle domage.
Wise advice, and what we'll aim to do. Cheers.

Originally Posted by siouxie
Unless it is 180 days since his contract expired I believe he would still be entitled to his commission.

Apart from that, I would not trust an agent who disregarded the work your former agent had done. Perhaps a re-negotiation with your agent to a 4% fee would work for both of you, and make you feel a bit better morally?

Thanks for that link etc. Could save me a good deal of grief if anything comes of it! And I agree with your comments about the introducing agent!

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If you go with the new agent what do you do if they say to you that there is a problem with the home inspection? They advise you to drop the price by $10,000 to make sure the deal goes through. How do you know this is absolutely necessary, or just the realtor doing a good job for their client?
Very good point, and why I feel we need an agent to work on our behalf.

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
the new agent sounds like a realtors version of an ambulance chaser. I'd call your original agent and tell him/her of whats transpired and see what they say and outline why you are doing so.
Ambulance chaser...! My thoughts exactly. I would have trouble trusting what they had to say.

Thanks for all other comments too.

I will try the 2/2% gambit. If the introducer tries to back out, her loss really. At the end of the day it will depend on whether the potential buyers like it enough, or not. I'll let you all know tomorrow.....
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:40 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

In Manitoba (each province is different) it is expressly forbidden for a Realtor to target expired properties directly.

They can target several properties that may include an expired, but to go directly to the owner of an expired property in the manner described would get a Realtor in hot water in Manitoba.

Its the sort of sceevy practice good Realtors are trying to remove from the business.

Phone your local Real Estate Board and ask them if its legal for the agent to contact you in this way, and if its not report him.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
In Manitoba (each province is different) it is expressly forbidden for a Realtor to target expired properties directly.

They can target several properties that may include an expired, but to go directly to the owner of an expired property in the manner described would get a Realtor in hot water in Manitoba.

Its the sort of sceevy practice good Realtors are trying to remove from the business.

Phone your local Real Estate Board and ask them if its legal for the agent to contact you in this way, and if its not report him.
It is very similar in Ontario, here when the property is listed there is a box on the form which is initialled by the vendor to say that they do not want to be contacted after the listing has expired. I think Novo's suggestion is fair - go back to the original realtor and offer them a reduced rate, at least they will get something for all the work they put in, and you will have someone acting on your behalf. You already know the ethics of the second realtor are questionable, so why leave yourself vulnerable to that.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks MB - I'd rather sort it out amicably first. We could be talking about someone's livelihood if I make a report. I think it would have been better for the lady to contact our "old" agent, rather than come knocking on the door. She obviously doesn't want to split the commission... times are hard!

HG- I'm calling the "new" agent tomorrow and telling her I will only work through our "old" agent... take it or leave it. The visit today went really well and they're working out a time for a second viewing. However, I do get the feeling that the new agent has convinced the potential purchaser that it's a real buyers market, and I'm expecting a low-ball offer!
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If these contracts expire but then there's an extension, why not have the contract last longer and scrap the extension?

There must be a good reason, but it just looks a bit.....well, a bit Canadian.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If these contracts expire but then there's an extension, why not have the contract last longer and scrap the extension?

There must be a good reason, but it just looks a bit.....well, a bit Canadian.
I know, (eh!). It's all a bit woolly!
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:45 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always very cautious about motives, and would immediatly think something was a tad 'off' that all of a sudden your old agent is out of contract, and here springs someone that just happens to have a prospective buyer................

If I wasn't so cynical i'd think this new agent just asked a mate to pretend to be a buyer so they could get a contract with you because "oh look, here's a realtor with a client already.........."
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm always very cautious about motives, and would immediatly think something was a tad 'off' that all of a sudden your old agent is out of contract, and here springs someone that just happens to have a prospective buyer................

If I wasn't so cynical i'd think this new agent just asked a mate to pretend to be a buyer so they could get a contract with you because "oh look, here's a realtor with a client already.........."
Good point, but I think in this case it's genuine (ish). The new agent has only asked for a "48 hour mandate" (whatever that is).... but we've decided not to sign it anyway.
Plus, someone has just stopped at the end of our driveway (it's 2300!) for a gawp... they didn't expect to see me outside having a fag (especially in this weather!). I'm sure it was the lady who visited today, but this time with her husband.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:07 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by geedee
Good point, but I think in this case it's genuine (ish). The new agent has only asked for a "48 hour mandate" (whatever that is).... but we've decided not to sign it anyway.
Plus, someone has just stopped at the end of our driveway (it's 2300!) for a gawp... they didn't expect to see me outside having a fag (especially in this weather!). I'm sure it was the lady who visited today, but this time with her husband.
Thats great news (well it is if it comes off!) where you moving to? Same area different house? New area?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thats great news (well it is if it comes off!) where you moving to? Same area different house? New area?
Erm... we may be going to Singapore, but nothing definite yet.

We had the house up for sale so we could move to Ontario and avoid this French School rubbish.

Funny, now there appears to be a serious buyer.... we'll miss this place. It's been fantastic.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:14 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by geedee
Erm... we may be going to Singapore, but nothing definite yet.

We had the house up for sale so we could move to Ontario and avoid this French School rubbish.

Funny, now there appears to be a serious buyer.... we'll miss this place. It's been fantastic.
Just a small change then what on earth propmted that move (tell me to bugger off btw i'm just nosey!)
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just a small change then what on earth propmted that move (tell me to bugger off btw i'm just nosey!)
My job... same as the reason we moved here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.