Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

English grammar - I have to ask - using the word "of"

English grammar - I have to ask - using the word "of"

Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English grammar - I have to ask - using the word "of"

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Don't be under any illusion that native English speakers are guardians of their mother tongue. Quite the opposite.

I've heard it said that educated Indians* are the guardians of correct English.

*For the benefit of Canadians, I mean East Indians.
Joseph Conrad is widely recognized to be the finest writer of English prose. And he was Polish.

And I doubt he ever started a sentence with and.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:46 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
India has a massive population, especially if you departition it, so it's no wonder there should be some Indians who are speaking English well. However, in the main they speak English poorly and with specifically Indian idioms; today morning, for example. That's unfortunate as there are so many Indians working in call centres and the like; the language has, I think, been a casualty of outsourcing.
Given the number of them and their rising economic status, it would probably make more sense to teach kids everywhere to speak Indian English rather than British English.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Given the number of them and their rising economic status, it would probably make more sense to teach kids everywhere to speak Indian English rather than British English.
If we place commerce before beauty.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:54 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

If we place commerce before beauty.
Maybe we should all learn French then?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Maybe we should all learn French then?
Bien sur.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Bien sur.
Ca me plait
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:28 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

India has a massive population, especially if you departition it, so it's no wonder there should be some Indians who are speaking English well. However, in the main they speak English poorly and with specifically Indian idioms; today morning, for example. That's unfortunate as there are so many Indians working in call centres and the like; the language has, I think, been a casualty of outsourcing.
I work for an Indian-owned organisation, so deal with the Indian idiom pretty much all day, every day. Sure, there are a few things that don't quite ring true to English (or North American) ears - your example is one of the easier ones, dbd; more often than not, here, that would have been "today first half." However, I think there are almost as many idiomatic differences between American and British usage as between either and Indian usage.

Long before there were opportunities to make jokes at the expense of Indian English there were wits like Jonathan Swift and, later, Oscar Wilde bemoaning the fact that America and Britain were two nations divided by a common language. Conversely, some of the most eloquent and powerful English literature currently being written is produced by English speakers educated in India or of Indian extraction - Arundhati Roy, Vikram Seth, Anitav Ghosh, Bharati Mukherjee, RK Narayanan, MG Vassanji, VS Naipul (OK, the last two don't really count since Vassanji was born in Kenya and Naipul in Trinidad). I certainly haven't found my enjoyment of good writing hampered by poor English or specifically Indian idiom. Perhaps my colleagues have inured me.

Much of the difficulty in understanding is, I suspect, more to do with accent than with idiom. I don't know who's providing dbd's call centre operations, but from my own experience and in general terms I'd much rather deal with a bright graduate in Thirivananthapuram than a jobsworth Brit who can't understand my question, let alone provide a sensible answer.

</here endeth my defence of colleagues and their compatriots...>

Last edited by Oakvillian; Jan 31st 2008 at 8:16 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian;

Conversely, some of the most eloquent and powerful English literature currently being written is produced by English speakers educated in India or of Indian extraction - Arundhati Roy, Vikram Seth, Anitav Ghosh, Bharati Mukherjee, RK Narayanan, MG Vassanji, VS Naipul
Haddaway man. Theyor aal Geordies.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

Much of the difficulty in understanding is, I suspect, more to do with accent than with idiom. I don't know who's providing dbd's call centre operations, but from my own experience and in general terms I'd much rather deal with a bright graduate in Thirivananthapuram than a jobsworth Brit who can't understand my question, let alone provide a sensible answer.

</here endeth my defence of colleagues and their compatriots...>
This just has to be one of the best comments I have read at this forum. Having spent a good part of my youth in India. in the mid to late fifties, I found their command of English to be exceptional, especially when considering English was hardly their mother tongue. While there I somehow managed to learn basic Hindi which, alas, was never quite as good as their English.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Much of the difficulty in understanding is, I suspect, more to do with accent than with idiom. I don't know who's providing dbd's call centre operations
Today it was Patni but I suffer the same miserable incoherence with a variety of Indian firms. Cheap, yes. English speaking, not so much.

Understand that I am trying to convey technical information to them, for example

"type into the computer the following string: ps -ef|grep xyz"

I would do better to pick a random person at the bus stop and have that person compute than to try and have someone at one of the outsourced data centres do the same thing.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:54 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Understand that I am trying to convey technical information to them, for example

"type into the computer the following string: ps -ef|grep xyz"
You simply aren't shouting loudly enough to convey the message to the simple retard.

Please, to be shouting the louder, innit.

R.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

One of the problems I used to have with call centres was the accent. When I could barely hear on the phone I used to have to ask them to repeat themselves several times, or to rephrase, or let me speak to another person. Quite a few times they were angry when I said I couldnt understand their accent. I even explained it was because I was hard of hearing etc, but they wouldnt let you talk to someone else
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

With huge emerging markets like China, Brazil, India and Russia, dictating technology standards, and the US soon to be a nation of predominantly Spanish speakers, maybe we're debating the wrong language!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:48 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
You simply aren't shouting loudly enough to convey the message to the simple retard.

Please, to be shouting the louder, innit.

R.
Off topic (scuse me) but Rich, I'm posting on my new Macbook Pro!! I think I'm in love.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:21 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm posting on my new Macbook Pro!! I think I'm in love.
Good call - isn't it an absolute work of art ?

Have you tried dragging a pic direct from the interweb right into email or iPhoto yet ? Or messing with live feed widgets from various websites to create your own dashboard ? e.g. weather forecasts, web cams etc.

Running Leopard yet ? I've noticed I get a few overight crashes when running a bit torrent client but apart from that it's superb. Spaces is a cool new app that has lots of pragmatic, functional benefits if you multi task a lot.

Enjoy; I hope like me you find it to be a really worthwhile investment and so much more fun to mess around with. I truly hate working with Windoze at work now. Just so damned dull and slow and glitchy.

R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.