Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

'England's shocking decline ...

'England's shocking decline ...

Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:06 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'England's shocking decline ...

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Remind you of any forums you know?
One springs to mind.....
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by betterskierthanthewife
In one fell swoop this article loses complete credibility. These types of programmes exist but they tend to broadcast on Bravo or some other obscure channel. Certainly not "one of the most watched shows on television". Probably the opposite.
Sounds a good show though.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Have you noticed regardless of who’s in power they get blamed for societies failing, my spin is most of the problem is the whining middle classes who try to remember the past being better (when it wasn’t) and them and there paper (who print what their audience wants to hear) blame the problem on the under classes and the reality is it not the government failing… but the people that make up the population failing… and by that 'failing to cooperate' to solve the problem but rather expect somebody else to fix their problem… very NIMBY
Yep. About the only part of the article i really like is :
Government's interventions in the realm of personal responsibility had stripped people, particularly parents, of the need to take responsibility for themselves: "My worry is that after a decade of a Labour government that said, 'the state is always the answer, more government is the answer,' they actually created the irresponsible society."
IMO There is some truth in this.
Is it really only 18% for a GCSE 'C' grade now??
Old Jun 6th 2007, 8:35 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Yep. About the only part of the article i really like is :
Government's interventions in the realm of personal responsibility had stripped people, particularly parents, of the need to take responsibility for themselves: "My worry is that after a decade of a Labour government that said, 'the state is always the answer, more government is the answer,' they actually created the irresponsible society."
IMO There is some truth in this.
Is it really only 18% for a GCSE 'C' grade now??
Wouldn't it be more honest to state that the government picked up the ball long after the public had abdicated their role..

Many Parents had been relying on the school to bring up their children back in the Thatcher days.. and even before

I’d say that society had become more and more irresponsible, progressively lazier in getting involved in anything other than something that directly benefited themselves choosing to blame other for the failing system whist trying to ignore that fact that they were part of that system and the reason it was failing to function effectively is too few were participating.
The voting figure shows that most of the UK doesn’t care and what little they care is to moan about somebody else

I think I’m in the mood to rant…

I’d like to see more people coming to Canada to enjoy the real things on offer here to further their careers to bring real benefit to a growing economy…

What I see coming over is the middle class whiners that failed to get involved in the UK’s society and are leaving because they no longer care for the environment their lack of interest has given rise too
have chosen to drag what they have in inflated “housing value” to come to Canada to give little to our economy and attempt to live of the sale of their house in some small pocket in the backwoods in order to get as much as they can for as little as possible, much like they did back home…

Its no wonder getting a work permit is getting easier as its those that contribute that are wanted here, not those whose rational is the blame the government for their ills and attempt to move somewhere else when it gets a little tough whist trying to grap as much as they can before departing…
Old Jun 6th 2007, 8:53 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

You sure are

I sort of maybe agree, or at least I worry that the thing that makes Canada such a great place for me is the sense of community and the way everyone mucks in to make it a better place, coaching kids teams, doing roadside litter picking, service club fund raising, just generally being welcoming and civil, and I'm not at all convinced those values are shared by new immigrants who comes to canada cos A: Its not the UK, B: We speekadeenglish and C: They can leverage their equity into a "better lifestyle" by coming here.

Are they here to get involved in the community and to keep it growing and getting stronger, or are they just here for what they can get for a buck and to get away from envious chavs on the street corners. I dont want to paint everyone with the same brush of course, but I do worry about the erosion of what I see as basic canadian virtues of genuine caring and civility.

I guess being raised in the Thatcher years its taken me a long time to truly realise that you really do get out of life what you put in, and although those living in the large canadian cities may not recognise my quaint view of life here, that give and take is what makes small town canada such a desirable place to live for me.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 6th 2007 at 9:00 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
You sure are

I sort of maybe agree, or at least I worry that the thing that makes Canada such a great place for me is the sense of community and the way everyone mucks in to make it a better place, coaching kids teams, doing roadside litter picking, service club fund raising, just generally being welcoming and civil, and I'm not at all convinced those values are shared by new immigrants who comes to canada cos A: Its not the UK, B: We speekadeenglish and C: They can leverage their equity into a "better lifestyle" by coming here.

Are they here to get involved in the community and to keep it growing and getting stronger, or are they just here for what they can get for a buck and to get away from envious chavs on the street corners. I dont want to paint everyone with the same brush of course, but I do worry about the erosion of what I see as basic canadian virtues of genuine caring and civility.

I guess being raised in the Thatcher years its taken me a long time to truly realise that you really do get out of life what you put in, and although those living in the large canadian cities may not recognise my quaint view of life here, that give and take is what makes small town canada such a desirable place to live for me.
I agree, even in the 3 years I've lived in Canada I've seen a difference in the place. I know this sounds trivial but when I first arrived there wasn't a hint of graffiti anywhere but now I see it slowly creeping in, our playground was covered in the stuff the other week. Everywhere changes eventually....
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:08 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

I’d like to see more people coming to Canada to enjoy the real things on offer here to further their careers to bring real benefit to a growing economy…

What I see coming over is the middle class whiners that failed to get involved in the UK’s society and are leaving because they no longer care for the environment their lack of interest has given rise too
have chosen to drag what they have in inflated “housing value” to come to Canada to give little to our economy and attempt to live of the sale of their house in some small pocket in the backwoods in order to get as much as they can for as little as possible, much like they did back home…

Its no wonder getting a work permit is getting easier as its those that contribute that are wanted here, not those whose rational is the blame the government for their ills and attempt to move somewhere else when it gets a little tough whist trying to grap as much as they can before departing…[/QUOTE]

That's a big brush you have there to tar everyone with.......when did you get the time to interview all those people to have such insight into their motivations....impressive
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of good rants there from MikeUK and IainK.

on edit: I think you'd both enjoy reading Francis Wheen's "How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World" published in 2004 by the unfortunately named Harper Perennial Press.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 6th 2007 at 10:23 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:57 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
You hear this said on TV about the country grinding to a halt without the Eastern Euros, and apparently the unemployed Brits are too lazy to pick fruit.
The thing which baffles me is, i've never seen a TV news reporter asking a British citizen on the dole if they'd mind picking fruit or any other humdrum work for that matter. When I was unemployed earlier this year, the Jobcentre interviewer never asked me if i'd like to go and work in a green-house for peanuts.
My brother in law picks chills in the UK for a living...they are only now taking on Eastern Europeans because they work for less...they've had no trouble getting Brits to work there for the wages they were paying...
Old Jun 7th 2007, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lousid
... The Queen's once-proud subjects now lead Europe in illiteracy, unemployment, teen pregnancy, divorce, drug use, obesity, alcoholism, crime and STDs'

...screams the cover of the latest Maclean's magazine. Any else read it yet?
What a load of cr*p
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:43 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Of all the real things on offer in Canada I am enjoying, career progression is not one of them!

To be fair, only a relatively small proportion of incomers are from the UK

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pub/fac...manent/12.html
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pub/fac...porary/04.html
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pub/fac...porary/03.html

and if you believe dbd, keeping to the cultural ways of your origin rather than to Canadian ways is the Canadian way!

Although I do worry that some Britons arrive in Canada with all their "baggage", perhaps some people choose to live in "backwoods" and such places because the funds they bring with them allow them to choose a lower income existence and positively contribute to smaller communities that might otherwise become ghost towns?
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:47 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

I love to see what reaction you'd get if you posted this on the returning to the UK forum....

As they are the ones who know what its like else where and quite cleary don't see the UK as all that bad.

Go on, this thread would be most welcome on MBUK forum.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Go on, this thread would be most welcome on MBUK forum.
I don't believe it.
You told me to push off back to the Canadian Forum the other day from MBUK. Are you following me!? LOL

P.S How's lovely Oz?
Old Jun 7th 2007, 10:51 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
I don't believe it.
You told me to push off back to the Canadian Forum the other day from MBUK. Are you following me!? LOL

P.S How's lovely Oz?
Did i really say that?

Just thought i'd troll around in the Canadian forum.

Oz is lovely thanks! just abit boring though...
Old Jun 7th 2007, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Did i really say that?

Just thought i'd troll around in the Canadian forum.

Oz is lovely thanks! just abit boring though...
Well, troll around if you must, as long as you don't suddenly decide to relocate to lovely canada instead of back to the uk, because this is very helpful, jolly forum.

...unless of course you're trying to collect another passport?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.