End of year one....

Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute
Default End of year one....

A rare post from the OK Murrays

Our daughter had her commencement (graduation) from elementary school today. She starts High School in September. She's done a full year now in the Canadian education system, and during that time has blossomed and gained a formidable Canadian accent, as a result of a huge amount of effort on her part.

For those with kids about to move over, I'd like to report that we've been delighted with this year, how she's fitted in, and her academic performance. She's made some AWESOME friends too. In addition to her studies, she has got involved in charity fundraising and all sorts of extra curricular activities. Not doing the proud mum bit (well maybe a tad), but more providing reassurance for those in the throes of the move.

Commencement was fun, and all the kids were involved. We had to sing 'O Canada', which I'm ashamed to say we struggled with. Must make a note to practice! Then the kids went on to their Prom and a dance and food. This week they have a day at the beach, and a separate half day with Grade Ones helping them make sandcastles. Last week they went to Vancouver for three days and stayed at the university.

If you're moving over with kids, I know it's a huge leap of faith. I also recognise that not all schools are the same. But our experience has been undoubtedly positive, so a big thumbs up from the OK Murrays.

Hope this doesn't fall victim to the Dull Housewives categorisation. I thought it might be of interest to the people still on the other side of the water.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of year one....

Congratulations to then OKMurrays

One year down - many more to come.

Gay
x
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
A rare post from the OK Murrays

Our daughter had her commencement (graduation) from elementary school today. She starts High School in September. She's done a full year now in the Canadian education system, and during that time has blossomed and gained a formidable Canadian accent, as a result of a huge amount of effort on her part.

For those with kids about to move over, I'd like to report that we've been delighted with this year, how she's fitted in, and her academic performance. She's made some AWESOME friends too. In addition to her studies, she has got involved in charity fundraising and all sorts of extra curricular activities. Not doing the proud mum bit (well maybe a tad), but more providing reassurance for those in the throes of the move.

Commencement was fun, and all the kids were involved. We had to sing 'O Canada', which I'm ashamed to say we struggled with. Must make a note to practice! Then the kids went on to their Prom and a dance and food. This week they have a day at the beach, and a separate half day with Grade Ones helping them make sandcastles. Last week they went to Vancouver for three days and stayed at the university.

If you're moving over with kids, I know it's a huge leap of faith. I also recognise that not all schools are the same. But our experience has been undoubtedly positive, so a big thumbs up from the OK Murrays.

Hope this doesn't fall victim to the Dull Housewives categorisation. I thought it might be of interest to the people still on the other side of the water.
Thats great, sorry if this is dull but i am worried about moving my son from a great school here to CA, its very encouraging to hear your daughter has come on so well
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:06 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Nice to hear the kids have settled.

From one that is still here (not for the trying) it helps hearing such a great post

thanks
gill
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:19 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Am glad the commencment went well - shame on you for not knowing all the words to "O Canada".....! I had my eldests graduation from pre-school last week and I also did not know the words though when everyone stood up and sung it with such enthusiasm it nearly made me cry!! Must be getting old or something!

Am so pleased your daughter is feeling so settled - it makes the move completely worthwhile doesn't it?

amy xxx
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:53 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Great post MKMurrays - happy Canniversary!

I can fully endorse everything you say. Our kids were at the 'tricky' ages of 13 and 16 when we arrived and have nad no problems settling in at all. They both have great friends and plenty of activities (winter and summer) to take part in if they want to.

I too struggled with the words of O Canada and was embarrassed, so have made an effort to learn it. All Canadian kids stand and sing to O Canada every morning at school so they learn it quickly. It's sung before all our local hockey games (Here is the 3 year old that sings at our local Crushers Hockey Game), but the best I have ever seen and heard was the 30,000 crowd at the Nickelback/Daughtry concert in Halifax last July 1st (Canada Day).

Our kids have no school this week but go in for grading day on Friday. Then it's off round the town to get loads of free treats from Timmy, Sobeys, Dairy Queen, Superstore, MacDonalds. This is their way to congratulate the kids on coming to the end of a successful school year
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like kids adapt pretty well from the posts. This week it's all grads, Proms and year books.

On the 'O Canada' front, we've sung it (badly) at concerts and hockey games too....we should be word perfect by now.

Like AmyDavid, I get tears in my eyes when I hear it...which is odd for an old cynic like me. Perhaps it's a realisation that we actually ARE here after all that time of planning and fretting?

One thing that still amuses me about the schools here is the tanoy (spelling?). It still reminds me of 'Grease', and the Principal bellows out 'O Canada' through it every morning. On the quiet I half expect to hear 'ping pong, Mornin Campers' in best 'Hi Di Hi' fashion....well maybe not!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to your daughter. Two questions:

1. What is a Canadian accent and what does it sound like. I am married to a Canuck and don't hear and accent.

2. She graduated elementary school and then goes to HS? What happened to Middle School and/or Junior High. Here elementary school is up until the 6grade only and high school starts at grade 9.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good questions.

I'm not sure what a Canadian accent is in terms of how to define it. She sprinkles 'jeez' and 'awesome' into her conversations, and there is a change to the way she pronounces some of her words. I think the accents thread is more help than me. When she's on the phone to her friends she sounds like a different girl.

In Kelowna, we have some Middle Schools, but Jenny is in Grade Seven, and turns 13 in a couple of weeks. Then she goes straight to Okanagan Mission, from Grade 8 until she graduates.

Sorry I can't be any clearer than that!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 4:49 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your first year!
Question though, how can you be a dull housewife if you come from Kelowna? I thought all women from 'up here' were all on drugs?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bleech
Congratulations on your first year!
Question though, how can you be a dull housewife if you come from Kelowna? I thought all women from 'up here' were all on drugs?
Ssh, don't tell everyone, or they'll be here in droves.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Good post mkmurrays,congratuations and wishing you all many happy
years here
Yoong
Old Jun 26th 2008, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats from us too, you helped us out when we needed somewhere to stay a year ago and like you we have fitted in and never looked back.

Congrats also to Bleech for returning to BE.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:10 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
Sounds like kids adapt pretty well from the posts. This week it's all grads, Proms and year books.

On the 'O Canada' front, we've sung it (badly) at concerts and hockey games too....we should be word perfect by now.

Like AmyDavid, I get tears in my eyes when I hear it...which is odd for an old cynic like me. Perhaps it's a realisation that we actually ARE here after all that time of planning and fretting?

One thing that still amuses me about the schools here is the tanoy (spelling?). It still reminds me of 'Grease', and the Principal bellows out 'O Canada' through it every morning. On the quiet I half expect to hear 'ping pong, Mornin Campers' in best 'Hi Di Hi' fashion....well maybe not!
Congrats on reaching your years canniversery and to your offspring for doing so well at school.

Now if you'd like to hear a real Welsh accent say Hi Di Hi Campers then there it was.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:52 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratualtions on you Canniversay,
Just shown our eldest who is 11 years old this post, she is very excited about our move, and cannot wait to start her new school in September.

Think it help to know that other children are enjoying school.

Charlie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.