British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/emma-watson-un-goodwill-ambassador-womens-equality-843737/)

Jingsamichty Sep 23rd 2014 6:58 pm

Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

Why should the views of an actress be held up as some sacred totem of feminism? I am absolutely baffled by this - what has Emma Watson ever done that can be considered to be "feminist" apart from saying that she is a feminist?

She sells her face and figure to promote high priced fashion and cosmetics that 99% of the world's women could never afford. She is an actress - she does what she's told to do, that's all.

I must be missing something here, there must be a rational reason for this appointment/position somewhere, or has the world really just gone quite celeb-tastically mad?

haggis88 Sep 23rd 2014 7:01 pm

Re: Emma Watson - UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women's Equality

Will they still think as much of her when all the nudes get leaked out...from what I read last night she's next on the list!

Alan2005 Sep 23rd 2014 7:06 pm

I agree in general. However, celebs do actually ensure some media coverage for these things, even if we all collectively roll our eyes at it.

BristolUK Sep 23rd 2014 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11415789)
...what has Emma Watson ever done that can be considered to be "feminist" apart from saying that she is a feminist?...

Don't be surprised if you wake up tomorrow morning and find you were turned into a frog. :rofl:

Zoe Bell Sep 23rd 2014 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by haggis88 (Post 11415795)
Will they still think as much of her when all the nudes get leaked out...from what I read last night she's next on the list!

actually what they are "threatening" to do is leak photo shopped nudes.

Actress or not , when a certain demographic's reaction to someone saying that women should have equal rights , is to threaten in that manner. Then I don't care who she is , obviously someone does need to speak up and if people listen because of who she is , then great.

BristolUK Sep 23rd 2014 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell (Post 11415838)
... if people listen because of who she is , then great.

Especially if there's that martial arts threat in the background.

(maybe someone else will get it this time :rofl:)

JamesM Sep 23rd 2014 8:50 pm

If I have to look at a feminist then I'm sure glad it is Emma Watson.

She could work at Hooters for sure.

God's gift to feminism.

You only have to see some of the people who partake in a "slut" walk to be frightened at the alternatives.

gryphea Sep 23rd 2014 9:29 pm

I think her speech was great.

Why can't she speak on the issue?

Its an important message, that by all accounts isn't getting across.

Good for her and everyone else involved in the heforshe initiative

Shard Sep 23rd 2014 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 11415798)
I agree in general. However, celebs do actually ensure some media coverage for these things, even if we all collectively roll our eyes at it.

+1

Although I don't even roll my eyes. Celebs have as much right to serious views as the next person, and these days many celebs also happen to be reasonably well educated.

Had she said anything interesting or controversial yet?

Almost Canadian Sep 23rd 2014 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11416019)
Had she said anything interesting or controversial yet?

Apparently, she's an actor :p

Jingsamichty Sep 23rd 2014 10:00 pm

I just think it's amusing that someone who charges millions for a few weeks work and who is is happy to take work based solely on her physical attractiveness can expect to have their opinions on gender equality taken seriously.

gryphea Sep 23rd 2014 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11416046)
I just think it's amusing that someone who charges millions for a few weeks work and who is is happy to take work based solely on her physical attractiveness can expect to have their opinions on gender equality taken seriously.

What, you prefer your feminists 50, grey hair and with moustaches?

Come on Jings listen to yourself!

Jingsamichty Sep 23rd 2014 10:11 pm

No, that's not what I'm saying. She is the paid face of cosmetic companies and fashion companies. How does she think she got that gig? Her degree?

She's happy to take the corporate dollar for being a pretty young filly, so she ought to think twice before lecturing anyone about gender equality. Do her male co-stars whore their faces and bodies about to corporations who profit through manipulating their customers' insecurities?

gryphea Sep 23rd 2014 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 11416058)
Do her male co-stars whore their faces and bodies about to corporations who profit through manipulating their customers' insecurities?

I think the word whore is simply not the case, plus yes of course the males stars do too. Daniel Ratcliffe for example, plus of course he took off all his clothes on stage.

Jingsamichty Sep 23rd 2014 10:30 pm

Maybe they do, though I certainly haven't seen their faces advertising as much as Ms Watson's, or seen them posing in a 'modelle' stylee while the paps flash away.

In any case, by supporting the fashion industry she is perpetuating the idea that women are defined by their appearance in a way that men aren't. Your example is a prime case in point. Daniel Radcliffe got his tackle out on stage every night for months, and it hardly raised a comment. But a suggestion that Ms Watson might have a bare body under those designer clothes sends the media world into conniptions.