Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Emigration - Who find's it the most difficult....

View Poll Results: Who finds it the most difficult.....
Dad
25.00%
Mum
57.14%
The Kids
17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Emigration - Who find's it the most difficult....

Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:38 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emigration - Who find's it the most difficult....

Just pondering really, out of You, Your OH and your Kids - who you do think found it hardest to settle in to your new life?

Your OH who had to start a new job, probably back at the bottom of the ladder, in a new country?

You - stuck at home, not knowing a soul and missing everything that is normal for you?

Your Kids - thrown into a new school, having to make new friends and learn a whole new way of schooling?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:07 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration - Who find's it the most difficult....

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Just pondering really, out of You, Your OH and your Kids - who you do think found it hardest to settle in to your new life?

Your OH who had to start a new job, probably back at the bottom of the ladder, in a new country?

You - stuck at home, not knowing a soul and missing everything that is normal for you?

Your Kids - thrown into a new school, having to make new friends and learn a whole new way of schooling?
What if you dont have kids? Yet another case of discrimination against the childless.

Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:22 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
What if you dont have kids? Yet another case of discrimination against the childless.

Not discrimination. She's just not interested.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:28 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Not discrimination. She's just not interested.
Oh I see.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:51 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Me

Same sort of position as in the UK, and he loves it!

Yup, but I am working and have just joined the local gym.....

Nope they love it as well, although not very amused at the fact that although we are moving within our area, at least some of them are going to have to go to another school.

Weird boundary issues with the local schools.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

You jaffa's take this seriously don't you?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You jaffa's take this seriously don't you?
Perhaps it was a lifestyle choice?
Perhaps there were medical reasons (ie cancers) for being unable to have children?
Perhaps there were children who died in infancy?

Be careful assuming that childless couples simply have a male partner who fires blanks.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it was a lifestyle choice?
Perhaps there were medical reasons (ie cancers) for being unable to have children?
Perhaps there were children who died in infancy?

Be careful assuming that childless couples simply have a male partner who fires blanks.
Blimey Butch, you are the last person I expected to take my comment seriously.

[serious mode]
If you can't have kids then I'm sorry. If you don't want to then thats your perogative and as someone who never really thought he would have children I can understand that choice clearly. If it's reason 3 then my condolences, I can't imagine the pain of that situation.
[/serious mode]
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Blimey Butch, you are the last person I expected to take my comment seriously.

[serious mode]
If you can't have kids then I'm sorry. If you don't want to then thats your perogative and as someone who never really thought he would have children I can understand that choice clearly. If it's reason 3 then my condolences, I can't imagine the pain of that situation.
[/serious mode]
Wierd what people take seriously isnt it

No real offence taken or upset caused.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:59 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Your OH who had to start a new job, probably back at the bottom of the ladder, in a new country? - strange working environment, different work attitude, quite insular

You - stuck at home, not knowing a soul and missing everything that is normal for you? - get out, volunteer, go to new Mum's groups
My wife has made loads of friends, goes out regularly with the girls. She volunteered at the local Y, went to Mum's & Toddlers groups, local classes at Y and just talked to strangers.

Work sucked initially, very straight laced must follow the rules ooh you can't do that type attitude. COmpany have since hired a couple more Brits which has helped

My 2 yr old loves it!

Last edited by Brownstar; Apr 30th 2009 at 3:06 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:17 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

[serious mode] it depends

if its just 2 people more chance they bounce back faster
people with young children its harder and depending on the ages of the children, young children dont understand whats going on so that leaves the mom and dad and I would say thats difficult on both. add on teenage kids and I think its hard on everyone. a hole family can be under so much stress and find it all so difficult
Butch I would say could bounce back from anything chucked at him he would get a biscuit at anyones door, even mine
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:28 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Butch Cassidy;7528014]What if you dont have kids? Yet another case of discrimination against the childless.

Then just answer whether it was you or your OH and if you have no OH then it was probably just you who found it hardest, unless you never found it hard.

So all bases covered there then?
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:00 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is family, i would normally say the one left at home, either the mum/dad..

My lot all sorted...now its my turn and just got involved in groups and loving it
Learnt alot from canadians since i landed
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:10 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

I think the family i left back in the UK have found the move the hardest ! (but thats just me)
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:12 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

None of the above. OH settled in remarkably well, I couldnt wait for the move, and the daughter started at college and has settled in very well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.