Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Electrical Assistance please

Electrical Assistance please

Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical Assistance please

check if there has been a recall on the unit. There have been a few problems with Kenmore stoves lately (I don't know if you have one of those), just google your stove type no + recall ...
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:39 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Does the breaker feel good and solid when you reset it or is it wonky? I'm assuming if it just started happening the breaker's the right amperage.
Spoke to our electrician this morning and he thinks it is this as well as when they upgraded our electrics they left the old cooker breaker in there... so he is going to dig out a new one and drop it round later.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:48 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Logically its either the breaker is now more sensitive, or one of the heating elements is now pulling more current than before. If it doesnt seem to matter which rings you turn on , then the breaker is the prime suspect (assuming its on a breaker, not wire fuses). If one ring in particular is tripping it (and its not just a higher wattage ring than the others), then maybe its on the way out, but they should last for years...
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:17 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Logically its either the breaker is now more sensitive, or one of the heating elements is now pulling more current than before. If it doesnt seem to matter which rings you turn on , then the breaker is the prime suspect (assuming its on a breaker, not wire fuses). If one ring in particular is tripping it (and its not just a higher wattage ring than the others), then maybe its on the way out, but they should last for years...
I am praying it is the breaker - which has been in there for at least 15 years and the cooker is only 1 year old. Everyone join in and pray - I can afford a new breaker - I cannot afford a new cooker..
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:37 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I am praying it is the breaker - which has been in there for at least 15 years and the cooker is only 1 year old. Everyone join in and pray - I can afford a new breaker - I cannot afford a new cooker..
Until it's checked out you wont know what it is, breaker, element or whole stove (cooker).

I'm guessing one of the first two.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:43 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

On reading the whole thread it seems its OK for a bit and then trips. My money is on the breaker, although they are usually pretty reliable (although they dont like to be in the damp). Its maybe getting warm and then tripping. But beakers are funny, they may be rated at 20A, but wont trip immediately if you are only just over that, so thats also a possibility, but one a sparky would be equipped to check out in terms of measuring the loads on the circuit at the breaker.

The cheap fix is to replace the breaker and hope for the best, but if it still does it with the new breaker then it could be something screwy with the range, or even the wiring... lets hope not. If you have the sparky there dropping off the breaker maybe ask him to check the current at the old breaker before replacing it unnecessarily. Believe it or not there can be problems with the wiring instalation, pinches and the like, that take years to come to show up

But its the breaker

Could be similar to this situation...
http://www.fixya.com/support/t339203...ter_10_minutes

Last edited by iaink; Apr 21st 2011 at 2:50 am.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:54 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If it isn't a bad breaker, and if it always trips when you turn on one particular burner (you mentioned your back ring - sorry) my prime suspects are the control, (unlikely in a new stove) or if you're one of those in the habit of removing the burners to clean underneath them maybe either the prong on the burner or the socket it fits into has been damaged, creating a short. If it's burner or socket and a conventional type of stove it shouldn't be too expensive to fix.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by caretaker
If it isn't a bad breaker, and if it always trips when you turn on one particular burner (you mentioned your back ring - sorry) my prime suspects are the control, (unlikely in a new stove) or if you're one of those in the habit of removing the burners to clean underneath them maybe either the prong on the burner or the socket it fits into has been damaged, creating a short. If it's burner or socket and a conventional type of stove it shouldn't be too expensive to fix.
Its one of those erm what do you call em stoves - with the flat cooking area - the burners are underneath the glass - why can I not think what it is called...! Here it is - http://www.sears.ca/product/samsung-...4646-FE-R500WX
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:59 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Its one of those erm what do you call em stoves - with the flat cooking area - the burners are underneath the glass - why can I not think what it is called...! Here it is - http://www.sears.ca/product/samsung-...4646-FE-R500WX
Ceramic or glass hob you mean.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Tangram
Ceramic or glass hob you mean.
That is exactly what I was trying to say!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Sounds like the breaker to me. They have a peak trip value and a continuous current value.get the electrician to change it anyway it will only take ten minutes.then turn on all of the oven and hob rings an check the current draw by the appliance.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Winston Green
Sounds like the breaker to me. They have a peak trip value and a continuous current value.get the electrician to change it anyway it will only take ten minutes.then turn on all of the oven and hob rings an check the current draw by the appliance.
Will do - thank you!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:47 am
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

Since yesterday my stove keeps tripping the fuse switch. It seems to happen when the oven and 3 of the hob thingys (technical speak) are on.

The stove is just over a year old so out of warranty..oh joy.

Thanks in advance

:0)
Could be the Amp. load effect upon an undersized guage wire (such as tryin' to draw 32 amps on a 14 AWG wire) - this'll easily trip the breaker 9 and overheat the wire). Check the "max amps" on yer stove - check teh wire guage for yer stove circuit - and check yer breaker rating. Best to have a certified professional check it if you don't feel comfortable...

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I believe for a cooker in Canada (maybe wrong), but the breaker should be 40A and the wire 8AWG (10mm2 to you and me).
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:59 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

did you ever find what the problem was, or have I been away for too long and missed the thread entitled "House blown sky high looking for digs......"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.