Reload this Page >

Electric shock, 120 or 230volts, 50, 60 Hz, any difference,

Electric shock, 120 or 230volts, 50, 60 Hz, any difference,

Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electric shock, 120 or 230volts, 50, 60 Hz, any difference,

One for the boffs, consider it a block heater gift thread

So yesterday I was lying on the floor with hy head under the bed trying to put a plug in the extension cable. I managed to touch the prong thingy and, wow, shocking. Pain in finger and right arm and left arm. All shakey too.

So afterwards, while I was drinking my coffee and recovering, I muttered something about it being a good thing it was wussy North American electricity. OH says the lower voltage makes it higher amps and so more oomph and more danger of death, cardiac arrest. Whereas more volts has more danger of burns.

Also was it a good thing I was lying on the metal heat duct and so earthed myself??

So, I know there's an expert out there, whats the story??
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:29 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electric shock, 120 or 230volts, 50, 60 Hz, any difference,

My physics teacher used to say: "It's the volts that jolts, but the current that kills". I'm sure wikipedia will have some fascinating facts on this.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

That "wussy" NA electricity is more than enough to kill you.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:35 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
My physics teacher used to say: "It's the volts that jolts, but the current that kills". I'm sure wikipedia will have some fascinating facts on this.
Mills that kills. As in milliamps.

Yeah NA electricty I believe has a higher current/ampage. Electrical devices still require the same power to operate. Power = volts * amps
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:45 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Mills that kills. As in milliamps.

Yeah NA electricty I believe has a higher current/ampage. Electrical devices still require the same power to operate. Power = volts * amps
Although isn't the upper limit for current similar? Somewhere around 13 A? That's why it takes electric kettles so long to boil.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:33 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
OH says the lower voltage makes it higher amps and so more oomph and more danger of death, cardiac arrest. Whereas more volts has more danger of burns.

Safety-wise, the 110v-230V is a bit of a trade-off. Generally, in a domestic system it's like this:

Lower Voltage = Higher Amperage. The higher current (amps) will cause cardiac arrest. I recall that my physics teacher said that around 70mA (a tiny current) is enough to stop the heart.

Higher Voltage = Lower Amperage. The higher voltage drop causes burns at the contact point. Also, the higher voltage drop affects the muscles more, meaning that it's much harder to let go of a gripped cable, causing even worse burns.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Without getting too complicated....

Watts = Volts x Amps

so:

500w = 240v x 2.08A

500w = 110v x 4.54A

So yes the same applicance will draw more current (Amps)

If you think of a water pipe.... The amount of water (or diameter of pipe) is the same as Amps (The amount of juice).... The pressure of the water is the same as Volts (The rate at which the juice is moving)

This explains why you can get a 20,000V shock from the static on your tv and not get hurt.... the Amps are so small.... so only a tiny amount of electricity has jumped very very fast to you!

In the end it is a combination of the Amps and Volts that will determine if you die or not.

240V/110V?? Both pretty dangerous, but often you'll get a shock and be pushed away from the current and have a fast heart for a while! (your heart is triggered by tiny electrical pulses and any shock can cause major trouble!!).... Put your fingers in a 420V 15A industrial socket and you can pretty much say goodbye!

I'm not sure if sitting on the metal plate would have helped?.... It may have tripped any earth return breakers, but otherwise i'm sure it just gives the juice more reason to travel THROUGH your body to get to the earth!

Best advice to survive an electric shock.......... Dont get shocked in the first place!

(p.s. I'm not a qualified sparky, but used to work on concert lighting... so am used to seeing people getting shocked!!)

Last edited by Ramsey; Aug 29th 2008 at 7:50 pm. Reason: Was told off by Ben W Bell!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Higher Voltage = Lower Amperage. The higher voltage drop causes burns at the contact point. Also, the higher voltage drop affects the muscles more, meaning that it's much harder to let go of a gripped cable, causing even worse burns.
I've learnt something new today!

Also AC or DC plays a big part.

As AC is traveling back and forth it is more likely to push you off the cable (only more likely!!)

DC flows in one direction and is more likely to hold you onto the cable.

DC is more efficient for transmitting power, so is High Voltage.... Hence why major (HVDC) overhead power cables are so, so dangerous! .... Keep your kites away!!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:29 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Without getting too complicated....

Watts = Volts x Amps

so:

500w = 240v x 2.08A

500w = 110v x 4.54A

So yes the same applicance will draw more power (Amps)
Just thought I'd get in before Zoe or someone else. No.

Amps is current, not power. Watts is power. Power=voltage * current. Same appliance would draw a higher current or amperage, but the power would be the same.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Christ, I've rarely come across such ignorance, even on this board.

Will someone who has more time than me please sort these idiots out? (You too bazzz).
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Will someone who has more time than me please sort these idiots out? (You too bazzz).
Go on, Novo, sort em out. Whats the real story?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Just thought I'd get in before Zoe or someone else. No.

Amps is current, not power. Watts is power. Power=voltage * current. Same appliance would draw a higher current or amperage, but the power would be the same.
OK.... Slapped wrist, have corrected my post
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Go on, Novo, sort em out. Whats the real story?
You're lucky to be alive, but if you were in the UK you'd have to be twice as lucky.

And grounding yourself would be counterproductive in either place.

Don't do it again.

On edit: Warum hast du Fledermaus als Benutzername genommen? Bist du deutsch?

Last edited by Novocastrian; Aug 29th 2008 at 8:00 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:00 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Then please sort me out. I have never been able to get the hang of this electrickery. Total brain block.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

You're lucky to be alive, but if you were in the UK you'd have to be twice as lucky.

And grounding yourself would be counterproductive in either place.

Don't do it again.

On edit: Warum hast du Fledermaus als Benutzername genommen? Bist du deutsch?
nein ich bin nicht Deutsch, klingt es einfach schöner

with thanks to google as I dont speak german

Why twice as lucky??

My arm still hurts and I appear to have a small burn on my finger. Hey ho.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.