Elections Bill

Old Apr 29th 2022, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Elections Bill

The Elections BIll in Westminster has now received Royal Assent. The bill gives the right to vote for all expats regardless of how long they've been out of the UK. This is potentially huge for pensioners, and their voting family members, living in Canada, Australia amongst other places where the UK state pension is 'frozen'. There are around 500,000 'frozen' pensioners around the world, many of whom lost the chance to vote previously. Now that their vote is restored hopefully the government will take our requests to be treated like the other 96% of pensioners, and have our annual pensions uprated, more seriously since there's some votes to be had.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elections Bill

I am not holding my breath and this gets talked about every year along with the usual petition but nowt get's done.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how to feel about this, my life is in Canada, I don't think I have a right to have a say in how the UK governs itself. But best of luck with the pension thing.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 6:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Not sure how to feel about this, my life is in Canada, I don't think I have a right to have a say in how the UK governs itself.
I've always taken that view - although there are exceptions. For example, the Brexit referendum would affect the usefulness of your passport so I felt that was a legitimate reason for voting. The frozen pension issue is also legitimate.

Here's an idea. I'd rather be able to vote in Canada without having to become a citizen. How about I exchange the right to vote in the UK for the right to vote in Canada. One of those reciprocal things.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how to feel about this, my life is in Canada, I don't think I have a right to have a say in how the UK governs itself. But best of luck with the pension thing.
Yeah but you are a Brit so have the godamned right to complain about anything and everything as that's what Brits are good at. Today I am wearing my I am Canadian hat but tomorrow who knows.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who has worked in Germany using my British passport I was aggrieved at not being able to vote in the Brexit vote and I've now lost the right to easily work in the EU (though thankfully I recently retired anyway). Frozen pensions issue is the only thing I feel obligated to vote in a GE about. I know it's been talked about etc for years but I do believe we'll get there sooner rather than later.
Old Apr 30th 2022, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Same here. I really don't feel that I now know enough about happenings, politics etc in the UK to have the right to a say by voting over there.

I have voted here for almost 50 years now because Canada is my home, not the UK.

As for pensions, neither OH or myself had much pension invested in the UK because we in effect only had 21/2 years of full employment after university and before leaving the UK, and we were advised by our accountant to withdraw everything that had been paid in during those 2.5 years as well as the previous 10 or more years of summer time jobs, Christmas mail delivery etc.

That gave us a little sum to help with settling down over here.

Old Apr 30th 2022, 7:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Same here. I really don't feel that I now know enough about happenings, politics etc in the UK to have the right to a say by voting over there.

I have voted here for almost 50 years now because Canada is my home, not the UK.

As for pensions, neither OH or myself had much pension invested in the UK because we in effect only had 21/2 years of full employment after university and before leaving the UK, and we were advised by our accountant to withdraw everything that had been paid in during those 2.5 years as well as the previous 10 or more years of summer time jobs, Christmas mail delivery etc.

I haven't voted in Canada because I don't feel settled here. I don't think one should dabble in the affairs of a foreign country. I'm at least as well informed about politics in the UK as the average voter and will not hesitate to vote if the chance arises.

Old Apr 30th 2022, 8:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

Withdraw money from the state pension scheme? can you do that? I am surprised

Old Apr 30th 2022, 9:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
So am I, would love to know how its done!
Old Apr 30th 2022, 11:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So am I, would love to know how its done!
I'm guessing Scilly meant employee pension contributions rather than NI ones.
Old May 1st 2022, 6:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm guessing Scilly meant employee pension contributions rather than NI ones.
I wondered but then the Christmas post job doesnt have a pension scheme. Anyway with 21 years of NI contributions he would probably get $500 a month state pension
Old May 1st 2022, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

I think he meant 2 1/2 (2.5) years.
Old May 2nd 2022, 8:55 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
I think he meant 2 1/2 (2.5) years.
I think you are right. So rereading he probably has 12/35th of a state pension that he could claim.
Old May 3rd 2022, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

I think you are right. So rereading he probably has 12/35th of a state pension that he could claim.
I would be surprised if very much, if any, National Insurance was paid on those years of short term/ part time jobs. Looks to me as if he only paid N.I. on 2 1/2 years of full time employment. You need a minimum 10 FULL years of N.I. contributions before you can get any UK state pension so he's probably not eligible for anything. He would have been able to buy back years to qualify but that ship has almost certainly sailed by now. He could contact britishpensions.com who, for just $25, will advise him on his entitlement, how to pay back any years and provide further help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.