The Easter Bunny

Old Mar 29th 2018, 1:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Easter Bunny

Originally Posted by DandNHill
That’s really interesting.
So I googled the origin of the word Paques ( the French word for Easter). It would appear that in this case it comes from Pessa'h which was the celebration of the Jews escaping Egypt and the crossing of the Red Sea.
Strange isn’t it out these things come to be!
That's probably where the name of our old country Paska easter bread comes from in the family recipes. Mom would cut both ends out of tin cans and use them as forms for the cylindrical loaves and it was one of the best treats. We used to blow out eggs and dye them every year using a kit from the store, (paska takes a lot of eggs); not a patch on the fancy ones but I recall it being a lot of fun.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

The second day of Easter is called “vízbevető hétfő” (thrown-to-water Monday) in some areas of Hungary, because this is the day of sprinkling. In former times young girls were dragged out by force to the well or the water trough and poured with a bucket of water, or taken by the creek and bathed. Men used to went from house to house to sprinkle girls while singing and rhyming, for which they got red eggs in return. Sprinkling originates from the ancient rite of fertility and purgation. The cleansing power of water in Christianity is linked to the christening ceremony. Sprinkling is a widespread custom even nowadays in a gentler form, boys and men sprinkle the girls with cologne generally; but mainly in the countryside, sprinkling with cold well-water is still common. Boys tell sprinkler poems this time. One of the oldest and most traditional sprinkler poems is the following:

Szépen kérem az anyját,
Adja elő a lányát,
Hadd locsolom a haját,
Hadd nőjjön nagyra,
Mint a csikó farka,
Még annál is nagyobbra,
Mint a Duna hossza!
Szabad-e locsolni?

(I’m asking the mother nicely Give her daughter out to me Let me sprinkle her hair To make it grow longer As long as the tail of the foal As long as the length of the Danube! May I sprinkle her?
Ready for Monday?
Old Mar 29th 2018, 9:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I got all excited yesterday when the Superstore flyer had a picture of hot cross buns with proper crosses (although I could easily do without those bits) instead of that bloody icing cross they like to do here.

When I got to the store today - bloody iced buns.

At least we had some of Walmart's marvellous Tuxedo cake
a slice of which is particularly glorious with enough cream poured over to soak in.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 9:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I got all excited yesterday when the Superstore flyer had a picture of hot cross buns with proper crosses (although I could easily do without those bits) instead of that bloody icing cross they like to do here.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/8c1...0&odnBg=FFFFFF a slice of which is particularly glorious with enough cream poured over to soak in.
HID like those. I can't stand the stuff. Much too sweet.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 12:21 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
HID like those. I can't stand the stuff. Much too sweet.
That's where the cream helps
I use coffee cream but cereal cream would do too.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/8c1...0&odnBg=FFFFFF a slice of which is particularly glorious with enough cream poured over to soak in.
you could always make them yourself
Old Mar 30th 2018, 3:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Thumbnails The Easter Bunny-happyeaster.jpeg  
Old Mar 30th 2018, 3:51 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
you could always make them yourself
I am a man of many talents. Baking's not one of them.

I'd be happy with ordinary buns but you can't get them here. On the plus side there are very nice hot cross buns which the store sells at various times throughout the year...just not at Easter when they have the in store baked variety with the damn icing.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 4:07 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Just order ther 2kg chocolate easter bunny from m&s, you only have 11 months to eat it though.