Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

E-Petition to the British Government, Pensions

E-Petition to the British Government, Pensions

Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:12 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default E-Petition to the British Government, Pensions

http://britishexpats.com/blogs/ePeti...ns+policy.html

(thank you PierreMaurice)

and to sign up:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/16387

END THE UNFAIR FROZEN OVERSEAS PENSION POLICY

Responsible department: Department for Work and Pensions

Under regulation 3 of the Social Security Benefits Up-rating Regulations British pensioners who retire to any one of over 120 countries, mainly in the Commonwealth, have their rightful state pension frozen. Meanwhile, those who retire to other countries have their pension uprated annually, just as though they never left the UK. This discriminatory policy currently impacts on the lives of over half a million British pensioners and curtails the freedom of choice of all British pensioners in retirement. We call for this Government to heed the plea of the International Consortium of British Pensioners to repeal this Regulation.

If we can get 100,000 signatures from British residents or British Citizens, we can get a debate on the issue in the House of Commons.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-Petition to the British Government, Pensions

Originally Posted by siouxie

and to sign up:

Under regulation 3 of the Social Security Benefits Up-rating Regulations British pensioners who retire to any one of over 120 countries, mainly in the Commonwealth, have their rightful state pension frozen. Meanwhile, those who retire to other countries have their pension uprated annually, just as though they never left the UK. This discriminatory policy currently impacts on the lives of over half a million British pensioners and curtails the freedom of choice of all British pensioners in retirement. We call for this Government to heed the plea of the International Consortium of British Pensioners to repeal this Regulation.

If we can get 100,000 signatures from British residents or British Citizens, we can get a debate on the issue in the House of Commons.
How many times has this been attempted and failed?
Old Oct 9th 2011, 9:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
How many times has this been attempted and failed?

I don't know. I'm just looking up the suffragette movement. Got going around 1865 apparently and it was 1918 when women over 30 were granted the vote.

So that's 53 years before a success.

Maybe they should have given up after a few failed attempts.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 10:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I don't know. I'm just looking up the suffragette movement. Got going around 1865 apparently and it was 1918 when women over 30 were granted the vote.

So that's 53 years before a success.

Maybe they should have given up after a few failed attempts.
Yes, because the oppression of women is the same as entitled people who want to inflation proof their stealing from others.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 10:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes, because the oppression of women is the same as entitled people who want to inflation proof their stealing from others.
No, because they are both campaigns and both about inequality.

I'm pretty sure everyone here has agreed it's unequal even if the solution offered by some was to have no pensions uprated while living abroad.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 10:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that every three months or so there's a new petition about this gravest injustice every visited upon affluent white people who haven't been very loyal to their country. Every time I think I'll ignore it and yet some fatuous comparison draws me in.

Horse. Dead. Shipped off to Japan and scoffed. Won't go no more.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 10:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure everyone here has agreed it's unequal even if the solution offered by some was to have no pensions uprated while living abroad.
Ok, I'll rephrase. Yes, because the oppression of women is the same as a group of people who want to be able to steal equally from others.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 11:04 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

To improve the chances of the petition succeeding, I reccomend changing the salutation to "Dear Santa", and sending it to the North Pole.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 11:44 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of bollocks and the audacity of these people is astounding. They should not only freeze the pensions they should withdraw them. If you buggered off and now aren't contributing to the UK economy then shouldn't be entitled to anything. Go and ask your new country to help you out.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:46 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
What a load of bollocks and the audacity of these people is astounding. They should not only freeze the pensions they should withdraw them. If you buggered off and now aren't contributing to the UK economy then shouldn't be entitled to anything. Go and ask your new country to help you out.
What about veterans, served their country, still carry the legacy of their service and now live overseas? What about the 20 or 30 years some put in into the UK system before 'buggering off', should they not get that back?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:58 am

What about the 20 or 30 years some put in into the UK system before 'buggering off', should they not get that back?
The thing is, how much do you think an index linked annuity of the value of the UK pension is worth on the open market if you actually had to buy one? I suspect the current value might be several times more than the NI paid.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The thing is, how much do you think an index linked annuity of the value of the UK pension is worth on the open market if you actually had to buy one? I suspect the current value might be several times more than the NI paid.
No idea, not counting on anything.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:54 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie

and to sign up:

Thank-you for drawing my attention to the petition, which I have signed.

I have no self interest in the issue, since my hubby and I are returning to the UK on retirement, but I recognise the injustice. After all, if you retire to France rather than Canada or Australia, you get the increases in your pension. It is bizarre that retiring to a Commonwealth country, rather than an EU country should mean losing out.

The UK government is currently considering a change to a flat rate pension of £140, regardless of contribution record. If it does so, hopefully they will simultaneously end this anomaly.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:43 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What about veterans, served their country, still carry the legacy of their service and now live overseas? What about the 20 or 30 years some put in into the UK system before 'buggering off', should they not get that back?
Sod them, you've bed you lie in it. I stand by my original assertion, go and ask your new country to help you out and stop trying to take money away from loyal British citizens.

Last edited by Oink; Oct 10th 2011 at 5:47 am.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I contributed for more than 30 years to the Uk pension scheme. If I had moved to the US then my pension (once I receive it) would be indexed linked, because I moved to Canada it is not.

That is the disparity that makes people angry, not the actual cash value.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.