driving to Florida

Old Feb 19th 2012, 11:06 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default driving to Florida

Has anyone else done a drive down to Florida (we are in Nova Scotia) - am interested to know how long it would take if driving for no more than 6 hours per day and can you take your dog across the border?
Old Feb 19th 2012, 11:40 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving to Florida

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Has anyone else done a drive down to Florida (we are in Nova Scotia) - am interested to know how long it would take if driving for no more than 6 hours per day and can you take your dog across the border?
Can't say regarding dog/border but Google Maps will tell you the total drive time in hours and you can then divide that by 6.

We're a bit closer to Florida than you are (we're in Western Mass) but have driven there twice from here, splitting the journey into two, roughly 10-12 hours, driving days.

Regarding stopovers - Savannah, GA might make a nice final night's stopover (just off the I-95 so no real detour) - depending on how far south your final destination in FL is.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:16 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

With regard to dog, think all that's needed is proof of rabies vaccine and a recent letter of health from a veterinarian. From what I've read don't expect to be actually asked for these things though.

Edit: Looks like a letter of health isn't needed, but the proof of rabies vaccine is from a veterinarian letter: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...M4VTRSaw%3D%3D

Last edited by BTJ; Feb 19th 2012 at 12:22 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:42 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi people I work with in NS regularly drive to Florida for a vacation and especially during March break........ they say its 30 actual hours driving .....I asked them how they broke that down and most reply that they do the first 15 on first day and stop overnight south of New York and then drive the remainder on the second day after a good nights sleep....... several I've spoken to also do a straight drive swapping drivers (especially when only going for a week) so I guess that if you don't want to drive any more than 6 hours then it will be 5 days driving don't know about the dog issue jimmydean
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:50 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I've only driven parts of that journey (here to St Stephen and back and Savannah down to Orlando). The NB section was a little slow, especially on the way back with the fog. Otherwise very scenic.

I don't remember anything remarkable or very interesting about the I95 section (but it was a long time ago). There were quite a few spaced-out seniors cruising in the outside lane, without a care in the world. They caused me some concern and challenge along the way, which broke up the journey somewhat (although I'm convinced some of them could not see, as well as hear).

I know some people who have driven the route (or similar) often and they usually tag-team the diving and stop over for two nights along the way. At least 30+ hours of driving in total, depending on traffic and speed, I believe.

One excellent tip is to do the driving throughout the night, if possible.

With regard to the dog, I believe it requires a rabies vaccination (as already mentioned by BTJ) and to "appear healthy", there's lots of information and further links here: http://www.cdc.gov/animalimportation/TravelingPets.html
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:45 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

thanks all, we figured we would split it up due to dog and children. If it were just the two of us it would be a quicker trip. I am looking forward to checking out places on the way. Its not something I think we could do soon, but its good to know,
oh and Florida spot is the Keys so pretty much as far south as you can get
Old Feb 19th 2012, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I deliver to Homestead FL which is about as far as you can go on the mainland, It takes 3 1/2 days. The only real problems are NY area inc NJ TPK, Capital Beltway (Washington ringroad) - ALWAYS TAKE THE EAST SIDE!!!!
Same for Miami - avoid the rush hours and you will be fine

These have to be avoided at busy times or you will spend hours sat bumper to bumper other than that its a nice but somewhat boring drive, plenty of Motels and nice little spots not far off I95 along the way - you will easily be able to do more than 6 hours a day as for the most part its quiet Hwy cruising.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

We did the trip to South Venice, FL, from Kingston Ont, with out Border Collie last year. Lots of great rest area's on the interstates (unlike Ontario) where dog can be exercised. We do it over three days, that is to say, we do a long drive the first day, 12 to 15 hrs getting us near to the Virginia/N.Carolina State line. The following day not so long a day, usually to near the Georgia/Florida State line, and a short 6hrs or so the third day. Never been asked for paperwork (Rabies Vaccination docs) at the border regarding the dog though we always have it with us.

At six hours a day, do the Math...5 days minimum for the distance we covered.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
We did the trip to South Venice, FL, from Kingston Ont, with out Border Collie last year. Lots of great rest area's on the interstates (unlike Ontario) where dog can be exercised. We do it over three days, that is to say, we do a long drive the first day, 12 to 15 hrs getting us near to the Virginia/N.Carolina State line. The following day not so long a day, usually to near the Georgia/Florida State line, and a short 6hrs or so the third day. Never been asked for paperwork (Rabies Vaccination docs) at the border regarding the dog though we always have it with us.

At six hours a day, do the Math...5 days minimum for the distance we covered.
It's quicker to take the train.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 4:20 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Probably quicker-er to fly
Old Feb 20th 2012, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
According to the Amtrak site, the trip from Portland, Maine (the nearest station I could find to Halifax offering Amtrack service) to Orlando, Florida is 30hrs 55 mins and costs US$149 per adult, one way. So not quicker by train, and pretty expensive, too! Unless, of course, you are earning what a college prof. earns.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 4:31 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Who'd want to go to Florida let alone drive there?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:41 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
Who'd want to go to Florida let alone drive there?
Beats me...

Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Lord_GG_Byron will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
According to the Amtrak site, the trip from Portland, Maine (the nearest station I could find to Halifax offering Amtrack service) to Orlando, Florida is 30hrs 55 mins and costs US$149 per adult, one way. So not quicker by train, and pretty expensive, too! Unless, of course, you are earning what a college prof. earns.
Depends on how many people are going, because gas is going to be really really really expensive. Especially if you're driving through New England, where they have high gas taxes.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:38 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Gasbuddy.com suggests that a one way trip in a 2012 Honda Civic 1.8L Automatic from Halifax, NS to Key West, FL will come to $211.03 in gas costs, not too bad. No idea how accurate that calculation is though.

As for train, there is the Via Rail + Amtrak option. Via Rail from Halifax to Montreal in a seat costs $157.55 in April and takes one night, followed by a Amtrak train to New York and then onto Miami costing $239. Have to spend a night in New York and its a 25 minute connection in Montreal, so pretty big risk there. Takes 4 days/3 nights total. Way more if you actually want a bed though.

Plus no dogs on Amtrak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.