Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Driving to board a cruise in New Jersey in January

Driving to board a cruise in New Jersey in January

Old Nov 5th 2018, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving to board a cruise in New Jersey in January

Good Afternoon Everyone,

My family will take our 1st proper vacation in this January since moving to Ontario. We are planning to travel by car from just North of Toronto to the cruise terminal in New Jersey in January. Has anyone ever made this trip before. I would be interested to hear from any previous experiences or indeed if anyone had a few tips to make it easier to navigate!!
We will have 4wd so hopefully that will make it easier if there is a bit of white stuff around. My wife and I will share the driving and all we have to manage is the three kids in the back 10, 11 and 13 (easier said than done).
I was planning to leave the day before and get some accommodation closer to the port perhaps even a stay and park??

All advice welcome

Thanks

Farmboy
Old Nov 5th 2018, 4:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to board a cruise in New Jersey in January

Have you considered maybe taking an Amtrak train from Toronto to New York City? The Bayonne cruise terminal isn’t far from the city, or even Staten Island, although I guess you have ruled out taking a flight from Toronto to Newark airport which is just a few miles from the cruise terminal.

Another way (which may work out much cheaper and less stressful than driving) is to take the Megabus from Toronto to New York City.....I looked at their website (US) and the trip for an adult in January starts from US $29 (round trip!) and stops at NY Penn Station (adjacent to Madison Square Garden/Macy’s/Empire State Building.

www.megabus.com (it links to the US, Canadian and British sites)

I’ve driven from NJ (where I live, 10 miles west of Newark airport) to Toronto but only in the Summer.....I’d hate to do it in the Winter, although we’ve been up to Quebec for ski trips at Tremblant but I dislike driving in the short hours of daylight.

I’d aim to get to NJ at least a day before the cruise is set to depart in case of travel delays....the ship won’t wait for you!

There are plenty of hotels eg. Candlewood Suites or Courtyard in Newport (Jersey City area) served by Light Rail and the PATH subway trains to NYC and a quick journey by your own car or Uber to the cruise terminal, I would stay there rather than one of the Newark airport hotels (Elizabeth, NJ)...you can look up either Newport or/and Jersey City on Travelocity/Expedia/Priceline etc. I have no idea about a stay and park for the cruise terminal (is there parking there? I guess there probably is?) but there would be at the airport hotels; how long will you be on the cruise for?

Btw; parking your car at the cruise terminal costs US $20 per day! I would be very tempted to take the Megabus to be honest. This info was on www.hobokengirl.com (search for “Bayonne’s Cape Liberty Cruise Port (Aka vacation starts in 20 minutes)”

You may get more local info if you post in the ‘Trailer Park” in the US section.

Last edited by Englishmum; Nov 5th 2018 at 4:54 pm. Reason: Added some more info
Old Nov 5th 2018, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Englishmum. Much appreciated. This forum is always great when it comes to things like this. Its not what you know but who you know or can reach out to in this instance!!
I will look into the Amtrak side of things. the flight prices were just ridiculous. I wanted to fly there not buy shares in the airline
Old Nov 5th 2018, 7:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in NJ (about 30 mins from the cruise port) and have made the journey by road from Toronto many times. From downtown Toronto the drive will take 8 to 9 hours on a good day...allowing for bathroom breaks and a snack. On occasion we have spent over 2 hours in traffic crossing the border. We now have NEXUS...there is a special border crossing for NEXUS holders. One time we were stuck for 5 hrs in traffic on I-80. If you drive you will be charged for parking at the cruise port.

Now we fly from Billy Bishop or Pearson airports to Newark...flying the day before to allow for flight delays. Newark airport is notorious for delays due to bad weather. A couple of months ago we were delayed 4 hours due to rain.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 5th 2018 at 7:59 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 2:36 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Not to the cruise port in NJ, but I've done the drive to NYC several times with three kids in the back (and, on one glorious occasion, without the three kids in the back as they were staying with grandparents!). I must say, my preferred option is to start off from Toronto around 10pm, drive through the night with occasional pee stops, and arrive in New York for breakfast at around 6.00. The kids spent most of the time asleep. That has tended to avoid most of the queues at the border, and most of the traffic on the interstates. It picks up a little coming in to the city with early commuter traffic, but that hasn't proved a big problem in the past taking either the Holland or Lincoln tunnels into the city, so shouldn't be a major issue if heading for Cape Liberty.

I've been the sole driver on most of our trips, but if you're sharing driving duties that makes it even easier. The drive is more tedious than tiresome, the one downside of doing the trip overnight is that you miss some of the scenery through the mountains. There are several route options: our preferred drive has ended up being I90 to Syracuse, I81 past Binghamton to Scranton, then 380 over the Pocono hills to pick up I80, through the Delaware Gap and on into the outer reaches of suburbia where you can pick whatever option will spit you out near your destination!

Can't help you with the stay-and-park options, but it's not a bad idea if you can find one - parking costs could otherwise be significant depending how long your cruise is for! The only disadvantage I can see is that you are then more or less committed to a daytime drive with all the traffic and potential delays that brings.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Jersey Girl and Oakvilian,

Very useful info here. I am reckoning it will all depend on the weather before trying to decide day or night time driving. Driving at night in snow and ice is not fun. I am hopeful that major routes will be plowed. You mention your route which is useful to know but at that time of year is navigating the pocono hills difficult or any other part of the suggested route? We will drive back home in the daylight so if going by night gets us there easier without forking out for accommodation then I am all for it. Personally flying would be easier but the costs at that time of the year are just ridiculous!!
Greatly appreciate all the advice though guys, thanks very much!!

Regards

Farmboy
Old Nov 6th 2018, 7:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
Thanks Jersey Girl and Oakvilian,

Very useful info here. I am reckoning it will all depend on the weather before trying to decide day or night time driving. Driving at night in snow and ice is not fun. I am hopeful that major routes will be plowed. You mention your route which is useful to know but at that time of year is navigating the pocono hills difficult or any other part of the suggested route? We will drive back home in the daylight so if going by night gets us there easier without forking out for accommodation then I am all for it. Personally flying would be easier but the costs at that time of the year are just ridiculous!!
Greatly appreciate all the advice though guys, thanks very much!!

Regards

Farmboy
When are you going?

Our route from TO to our home in NJ was crossing to the US at Lewiston/Niagara. NY Thruway east, at Syracuse pick up I-81 to Binghampton/Scranton. Then pick up I-80 to NJ. US roads are very well maintained during the winter. I remember one Christmas leaving TO in heavy snow...granted the journey was slower but the Poconos were not a problem.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Leaving Janaury 17th. Cruise leaves 18th afternoon. 8 night cruise so the drive back can be the scenic one if need be!!
Old Nov 6th 2018, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Leaving Janaury 17th. Cruise leaves 18th afternoon. 8 night cruise so the drive back can be the scenic one if need be!!
Anthem!! We spent Christmas on Anthem 3 years ago.

We have cruised from Cape Liberty and the Brooklyn Cruise ports in January...the weather can vary greatly. I would drive down the day before...and stay in a hotel around the Rockaway Mall area...which is right beside I-80. Takes about 1 hour to Bayonne. The closer you get to NYC the more expensive the hotels will probably be. That way you have more time if you should run in to problems en route. Get up the next morning and drive to Bayonne. I-80 east...I-287 south at Parsippany...I-24 east...I-78 east. Pass Newark Airport and pick up the signs for the cruise terminal.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spot on!! Yip the Anthem. I am a cheapskate going in January as the over Christmas price or holiday option as they called it was

Thanks so much for your help with directions. Nothing worse than an Irishman living in Canada and lost on a highway outside Newyork!!

Thanks

Farmboy
Old Nov 7th 2018, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Spot on!! Yip the Anthem. I am a cheapskate going in January as the over Christmas price or holiday option as they called it was

Thanks so much for your help with directions. Nothing worse than an Irishman living in Canada and lost on a highway outside Newyork!!

Thanks

Farmboy
Haha

When you get near the cruise port it is actually pretty hard to find...the signs are quite small. Just follow all the limos and cars heading that way.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hopefully the Sat Nav will do all the thinking. I am just going to try and master the steering end of things!!

Where it says toll roads can you pay in advance or do you just need to have USD on you and pay at a kiosk??
Old Nov 7th 2018, 8:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hopefully the Sat Nav will do all the thinking. I am just going to try and master the steering end of things!!

Where it says toll roads can you pay in advance or do you just need to have USD on you and pay at a kiosk??
You need USD...coins are best...then you can just drop them in the basket. Paper is ok...pay at the kiosk.