Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dreams, hopes and dilemmas

Dreams, hopes and dilemmas

Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dreams, hopes and dilemmas

Originally Posted by Top Cat
You are correct, our PR Visa's were running out as they were activated in 2007 so we had to make the decision to eith try Canada out or remain in the UK and let the opportunity pass us by. (you only live once)
we took career breaks and moved out for 6 months but at the time Canada was not unlike many other contries and employment opportunities were not great however, we did it and learnt from it!

When we came back to the UK and started back in our old jobs it wasnt long before a massive pay review leaving myself and my husband £8,000 a year out of pocket.
We both work in law inforcment so trust me when i say we have seen a great deal of changes in the last 3 years and the worst is yet to come.

Next year we are opening our gates to the rest of Europe!

Good luck UK, all the very best for the future!
I'm confused. Do you and your OH share this username? It's just that the last time you were on here, one of you said that one of you is a nurse.

I've not heard of a Law Inforcement Nurse (or of law inforcement in general).

Nor had I heard that the UK is opening its gates (???) to the rest of Europe. But if you mean there'll be some extra immigrants to the UK perhaps, don't you think that becoming one yourself is a very strange response?
Old Sep 24th 2013, 10:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
So, do you have valid PR cards? Do you still have PR status? You have to have lived in Canada for 2 years out of the past 5. So if you left in 2010 then it is borderline as 2013 is almost done.
It (he/she) said that their PR status was activated in 2007 and they only showed up in 2010 because they had to use it or lose it.

So no, it appears they would have to start from scratch. I suggest they don't.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Top Cat is an unknown quantity at this point

Last edited by Top Cat; Sep 24th 2013 at 11:26 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:18 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It (he/she) said that their PR status was activated in 2007 and they only showed up in 2010 because they had to use it or lose it.

So no, it appears they would have to start from scratch. I suggest they don't.
I allus loves it when the reason for immigrating is too many immigrants.

Faverit.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 1:19 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to have missed your reply. It's either because you are very cross about somebody's reply or very unsure about another's ?

Can you let us know which, and how we can help?
Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:13 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I seem to have missed your reply. It's either because you are very cross about somebody's reply or very unsure about another's ?

Can you let us know which, and how we can help?
Probably both. Thery have lost their PR, living in Canada for 6 months in 5 years is nowhere near close.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:19 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem, are we not getting a bit catty here? OP is bold enough to give Canada a second try, despite an expired visa, nothing wrong with that.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 5:28 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Shard
Ahem, are we not getting a bit catty here? OP is bold enough to give Canada a second try, despite an expired visa, nothing wrong with that.
Nope, nothing wrong with that. It's the rest that annoyed me.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

Top Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Dreams, hopes and dilemmas

Afternoon,

The reason I ( we hubby and myself) have not been on here to constructively reply to you all as you have obviously hijacked a post that was intended to create a discussion to ask for advice.

Expats was a fantastic source of information and we made alots of friends on here, many who we have met personally.

Bats.. whoever you are ( only a member since July 2012!! ) .You are no use to people on this forum, you must keep your sarcastic opinions to yourself.

We do not want to leave the UK to get away from Immigrants.. ( what an awful assumption you have made).. we simply stated that the gates would be open to the rest of Europe soon. ( Overcrowding and lack of jobs for these 'immigrants' anyway, huge strain on NHS etc.)

Thank you to those who at least replied with some form of genuine interest.

Yes to those who have looked through our other posts ( well done big cheers).

Is it hard to believe that I ( mother of 2) can be a successful Ranking Detective in the Police and a Practicing Registered general Nurse??? ( two careers) and going back to Univesrity soon also!! I think not.. well thats my situation I have worked very hard to get where I am and will always work hard. Perhaps more than others I work daily with the public and see objectively what is happening to the UK.

Our PR, of course is expired and we would have to start again.. whats the hardship in that?? Life is a journey and we sure are living it

I shall not be replying to this post again and hope that those who seek to chastise our situation go and find something useful with your day to do.

Expats im sorry that I shall be saying farewell to you and was looking forward to helping and advising others as we have a lot of experience in this area. However the few as usual spoil it for the rest.

Top Cat
Old Oct 5th 2013, 1:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Afternoon,

The reason I ( we hubby and myself) have not been on here to constructively reply to you all as you have obviously hijacked a post that was intended to create a discussion to ask for advice.

Expats was a fantastic source of information and we made alots of friends on here, many who we have met personally.

Bats.. whoever you are ( only a member since July 2012!! ) .You are no use to people on this forum, you must keep your sarcastic opinions to yourself.

We do not want to leave the UK to get away from Immigrants.. ( what an awful assumption you have made).. we simply stated that the gates would be open to the rest of Europe soon. ( Overcrowding and lack of jobs for these 'immigrants' anyway, huge strain on NHS etc.)

Is it hard to believe that I ( mother of 2) can be a successful Ranking Detective in the Police and a Practicing Registered general Nurse??? ( two careers) and going back to Univesrity soon also!! I think not.. well thats my situation I have worked very hard to get where I am and will always work hard. Perhaps more than others I work daily with the public and see objectively what is happening to the UK.

Our PR, of course is expired and we would have to start again.. whats the hardship in that?? Life is a journey and we sure are living it

I shall not be replying to this post again and hope that those who seek to chastise our situation go and find something useful with your day to do.

Expats im sorry that I shall be saying farewell to you and was looking forward to helping and advising others as we have a lot of experience in this area. However the few as usual spoil it for the rest.

Top Cat
No reason to run away just because some others have different opinions than your own. Fight your corner or tell people to piss off, but don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:15 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Epic Flounce.

Bats has been here for longer. Just as someone else.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

No reason to run away just because some others have different opinions than your own. Fight your corner or tell people to piss off, but don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
What's there to spite?

I can't think of many replies that were in any way helpful. She will likely receive a more considered response by stopping anyone in the street and asking them.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:30 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What's there to spite?

I can't think of many replies that were in any way helpful. She will likely receive a more considered response by stopping anyone in the street and asking them.
That's true that the replies were not particularly helpful, but the OP doesn't do herself any favours by leaving BE when she's planning a return to Canada. Her action impacts her more than those she intends it to impact.

Perhaps she'll be back under another name. Indeed the tone of her post reminds me very much of that person who became wildly upset and a bit paranoid when others criticised the immigration consultant she used (some guy-alot or something like that).
Old Oct 5th 2013, 3:29 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps she'll be back under another name. Indeed the tone of her post reminds me very much of that person who became wildly upset and a bit paranoid when others criticised the immigration consultant she used (some guy-alot or something like that).
Oh I remember her that was what I call a good flounce!

To be fair, it was going to be a bit hard to help her in the first place wasn't it? Anyone who starts a thread, 'Dreams, Hopes and Dilemmas' is going to come a bit of a cropper, especially as lots on here would have jumped through hoops on a daily basis to get the chance to come to Canada. It's easy to disparage the country....and God knows I have my off days, but there are a hell of a lot who would do anything they could to get here.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 3:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Afternoon,

Top Cat
A racist flounce.
The UK will be much better off without that sort of attitude. I see you've at this for seven or so years, how can we help speed up your application process?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.