British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Drastic Action Required (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/drastic-action-required-448742/)

Purley May 9th 2007 2:25 am

Re: Drastic Action Required

I am not saying that your house doesn't look good, but I suspect that if the house really does not look good - an estate agent would often be unwilling to tell a vendor the truth because of hurting their feelings or getting them all defensive about their house. Of course, like I said, your house might be up to date with decoration and all the clutter and stuff gone - but I think I would still be telling my real estate estate -- please, please tell me - if there is something wrong with my house - if some improvements can be made - I really want to know and I won't be offended. I just want to sell my house!

Mountain Girl May 9th 2007 2:25 am

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 4756425)
ok folks so you will be aware that half of our family is in Canada and the other here in the UK - now getting really fed up with the situation and taken drastic action with our house which is currently up for sale.

Taken £10,000 off the price and hope that someone will now buy - wish me luck.

Gaynor
x

I hope the new price works for you Gay.

steve666 May 9th 2007 2:40 am

Originally Posted by lizwil98 (Post 4756787)
I am not saying that your house doesn't look good, but I suspect that if the house really does not look good - an estate agent would often be unwilling to tell a vendor the truth because of hurting their feelings or getting them all defensive about their house. Of course, like I said, your house might be up to date with decoration and all the clutter and stuff gone - but I think I would still be telling my real estate estate -- please, please tell me - if there is something wrong with my house - if some improvements can be made - I really want to know and I won't be offended. I just want to sell my house!

I have grabbed the estate agent (Andy) and have held him close to my nose and cried into his face and pleaded with him to tell me what I need to change/add/take away in order to drum up interest. Take off money was the obvious one, the other is to blow up the school opposite or the major road behind us. So we wait...

burton bunch May 9th 2007 2:59 am

Thanks for all of the replies.

This is my secong agent since Feb this year - this first ones were a pile of dog poo !!!!

These are being really great and i chat with them regularly - feedback has been within hours of the viewing. i have a really fab relationship with them.

It is in the local papers on rightmove and another free property paper so dont know where I can do anything else there.

The problem seems to be that I am just outside the price bracket on the people selling to FTB's and therefore it is hard to even get the viewings hence the need to reduce the price.

Gaynor
x

Linda P May 9th 2007 3:04 am

Sorry....won't let me send any karma!!!

Fingers crossed for you.

Each day fresh buyers start looking.......

Linda

The TWs May 9th 2007 3:14 am

Good luck Gay!

We're put our house on the market this week and are dreading it. Not sure if its worth considering (just to light a fire under the estate agent's prosterior) but one of the valuation agents mentioned something to me called Dual Sole agents - which basically means you have 2 agents (more is obviously multi) but they have to race each other to get the sale (and the commission) and it makes them more competitive!

If the lower price doesn't work that might!

Good luck!

Steve&Tanya May 9th 2007 5:30 am

Good Luck Gay

I hope the right buyer is just round the corner for you and that you will be reunited with your Hubby soon (permanently)

Fingers crossed and a load of positive vibes coming you your way

Tx

ann m May 9th 2007 5:58 am

GOOD LUCK BURTONS !!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Danny B May 9th 2007 6:00 am

We had ours up for 349, got offers of 300, 315, 325 and 330 which we were almost forced into accepting by a rather pushy estate agent. I asked why he thought we should drop the price 20k when it did not need 20k's worth of work and he said that's the norm.
I wouldn't feel too bad about dropping 10k providing you get very near to the asking price.

If you can do not tell them you are emigrating as they make think you are desperate to sell and accept a stupid offer, if you have already told them, give them some rubbish about if it's not sold by June 1st we'll just rent it out, that should spur them on a bit.

Good luck

Robski May 9th 2007 6:00 am

Thinking of you, and have sent a request to the house selling dancers to get straight on to the job. :thumbup:

gryphea May 9th 2007 6:55 am

Fingers crossed and well done for coping so far- I wouldn't last 2 weeks!

Gryphea

zalaben May 9th 2007 6:58 am

Good luck gaynor! i hope it all goes well for you. You must be so deperate to start your life in Canada. I guess you just have to cut your losses knowing that you and your family will all be together again.. the sooner the better.

keep your chin up!

sarah :thumbsup:

burton bunch May 9th 2007 7:11 am

Originally Posted by The TWs (Post 4757024)
Good luck Gay!

We're put our house on the market this week and are dreading it. Not sure if its worth considering (just to light a fire under the estate agent's prosterior) but one of the valuation agents mentioned something to me called Dual Sole agents - which basically means you have 2 agents (more is obviously multi) but they have to race each other to get the sale (and the commission) and it makes them more competitive!

If the lower price doesn't work that might!

Good luck!

None of our local agents are willing to do this :curse:

Danny B May 9th 2007 7:34 am

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 4758097)
None of our local agents are willing to do this :curse:

Is your house on www.rightmove.co.uk ? This seems to be *the* place to sell online at the moment.

Jerseygirl May 9th 2007 7:55 am

There was a segment on selling houses a couple of weeks ago in the US...but I suppose it could relate to UK houses too.

Remove all clutter around the home...rent a storage unit if necessary. Clear out the garage...try to get it down to the car and lawn mower only.

Make sure around the front door way is clean and tidy.

Make sure your windows are sparking clean...inside and out.

Remove all family photos etc. You want prospective buyers to be able to think of it as their house not yours.

Ask your most critical friend or rellie to walk through the house and tell you what they don't like and/or would change.

Remove all pets and any tell tale signs that you have them. Many people are put off if they think you've had pets in 'their' home.

Good luck.