Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Don't know how we're going to do it

Don't know how we're going to do it

Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't know how we're going to do it

Originally Posted by printer
The problem is over here you cannot be too heavy handed. I had an old bungalow in UK with solid walls, here everything is cardboard (sorry drywall) and things have a habit of ripping off the wall.
Since we moved in the entire shelving units inside the closet have fallen off, all 3 towel rails in the bathrooms have dropped off, 2 bi fold doors have fallen off and numerous other things are hanging loosley while i try and get round to fixing them.
God alone knows how they hang their 50" plasma screens from the wall.
I'm puzzled too... securing stuff to plaster attached to brick, easy... but to drywall? Maybe that's why you rarely see shelves on Canadian walls?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:43 am
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newshoney
I'm puzzled too... securing stuff to plaster attached to brick, easy... but to drywall? Maybe that's why you rarely see shelves on Canadian walls?
Wouldn't it be the same as plasterboard, in that you use heavy expandable anchors?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:43 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beebop
Wouldn't it be the same as plasterboard, in that you use heavy expandable anchors?
yes and no... for things like big TVs or closet shelving systems, you normally get a choice of several holes in the bracket, and instructions along the lines of at least n of the mounting screws should be secured to a wall stud. This gives you a firm not-going-to-come-off-the-wall anchorage, and you use drywall anchors for the bits that don't hit a stud. Such anchors come in all shapes and sizes - hinged expanding jobs for heavy things, down to plastic screw-in anchors for lighter duty.

Printer, are your towels lead-lined? Whaddya do to a towel rail to pull it off the wall (other than pull it, obviously...)?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Well we've gone and done it . The house is on the market, the valuation was about what we expected so we just went for it.

They are waiting for the jobs to be done next week before they take pics and start viewings.

It feels a bit scarey as we have no moving date yet or work permit, we're scared of being homeless, but our house is now for sale
Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:25 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
Well we've gone and done it . The house is on the market, the valuation was about what we expected so we just went for it.

They are waiting for the jobs to be done next week before they take pics and start viewings.

It feels a bit scarey as we have no moving date yet or work permit, we're scared of being homeless, but our house is now for sale

Congratulation Sharon!

Know the feeling...we have accepted a buyer and dont even have LMO
Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alvic
Congratulation Sharon!

Know the feeling...we have accepted a buyer and dont even have LMO
Are you scared too
Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:52 pm

Are you scared too
Scared??? Understatement of the year.

Sold my house, planning on handing in notice on our two good jobs at the start of October......need I say more

And to top it all of I cant discuss it with my Mum, who used to be my best confidant, so you lot are my new Mummies
Old Sep 4th 2007, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sold my house, planning on handing in notice on our two good jobs at the start of October......need I say more

And to top it all of I cant discuss it with my Mum, who used to be my best confidant, so you lot are my new Mummies
And I thought I didn't look old enough . I don't think the process makes you mad, I think you have to be mad to even start it.

Don't worry, your new mum thinks it's all gonna work out fine. Your really brave to want to seek out a better life for yourself and I'm right behind you <hugs> mum

See getting madder by the minute
Old Sep 4th 2007, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Sharon - well, this is the start of the final chapter of your life in the UK - next chapter will be in Canada!

Lots to do before then, but keep the faith and keep focused, it will be worth it, and we are here for you for what it's worth.

Rob.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Al, it is scary, but exciting too, and that and the wonderful posibilities you have dreamed of are what to focus on and you know it will be fine - not easy at first, but it will be worth it.
Remember we are here for each other.
Mum ()???

Rob.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
Congrats Sharon - well, this is the start of the final chapter of your life in the UK - next chapter will be in Canada!

Lots to do before then, but keep the faith and keep focused, it will be worth it, and we are here for you for what it's worth.

Rob.
I read the - this is the start of the final chapter in your life and forgot to read what came after. Thought, first a mum, now I've one foot in the grave all in the space of 10 mins. Then I actually finished the post.

Thanks for the support, had my wobble, can't wait till reccee next week.

I blame the government and there bloody HIPS being snuck in for 3 bedroom houses, they rushed me:curse:

Sharon
Old Sep 4th 2007, 9:13 pm

And I thought I didn't look old enough . I don't think the process makes you mad, I think you have to be mad to even start it.

Don't worry, your new mum thinks it's all gonna work out fine. Your really brave to want to seek out a better life for yourself and I'm right behind you <hugs> mum

See getting madder by the minute
Well saying your my new Mum....could you lend us a tenner
Old Sep 4th 2007, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
Al, it is scary, but exciting too, and that and the wonderful posibilities you have dreamed of are what to focus on and you know it will be fine - not easy at first, but it will be worth it.
Remember we are here for each other.
Mum ()???

Rob.
Hi Mum.....are you one of these gender challenged Mum's then?

Just as well we are here for each other or it would be a lonely road to the nuthouse
Old Sep 4th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Mum.....are you one of these gender challenged Mum's then?

Just as well we are here for each other or it would be a lonely road to the nuthouse
Hey don't knock it, if it's ok for Hayley/Harold on Corrie then it's ok for Rob....... or should it be Roberta
Old Sep 4th 2007, 9:46 pm

Hey don't knock it, if it's ok for Hayley/Harold on Corrie then it's ok for Rob....... or should it be Roberta
Very good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.