Dog food

Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog food

Hi

In the month before we flew we were advised to cut our dogs meal times down to one a day.

They are not allowed to eat for 24 hours prior to the flight. They run the risk of being sick.

Your dog will be so pleased to see you I expect they will forget about their hunger for an hour or so!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BriSue39
Enough already !!!
Thanks for all the serious replies, all much appreciated.
Thanks for all the not quite so serious replies, all very funny.
Special message for Happyglow, your offer of assistance at our hotel is very welcome, and if we get stuck, I will pm you.
Please do, I'm sure we can sort something out if you need it.

I'm lucky my pooch is a gutbucket and will be MORE than happy sharing a cheese sandwich with me when he's hungry (which is always).
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Hi

In the month before we flew we were advised to cut our dogs meal times down to one a day.

They are not allowed to eat for 24 hours prior to the flight. They run the risk of being sick.

Your dog will be so pleased to see you I expect they will forget about their hunger for an hour or so!

This is interesting - the rules here (coming OUT of Canada) say that you must give them a light meal about four hours before departure IIRC. I know mine will be happier and more relaxed with something in his belly, and hopefully he will hang on to it, not being the terribly sicky type. He'll be too busy barking to throw up
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:55 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
This is interesting - the rules here (coming OUT of Canada) say that you must give them a light meal about four hours before departure IIRC. I know mine will be happier and more relaxed with something in his belly, and hopefully he will hang on to it, not being the terribly sicky type. He'll be too busy barking to throw up
That's what I was told leaving UK too!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
Seriously? wow... we were told that it was much more likely to make them get sick and they could have far more problems in the air. It's also to do with them not needing a poo in the air either.

Sounds like it's a bit like how to deal with kids. One person tells you one thing and one tells you another!
Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:06 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Hi everybody,
Getting close to arriving now, with our pet dog.
Can anybody help regarding dog food?
By the time we collect our dog from Vancouver cargo warehouses, he will have gone at least 10-12 hours without food.
We can't bring any with us as it would be meat products, so is there anywhere close to Vancouver Airport where we can buy some dog food?
Or do you think our hotel could help?
Thanks
Hiya,

We brought some of our spaniel's dried dog biscuits over in our hand luggage. We had about 4 days worth of food left in the original dog food bag when we arrived at the airport. I know it's not exactly a concern of the UK as you're leaving, but we were ready to chuck what we had left and it was suggested that we didn't need to. So we kept hold of it. Through all the x-rays, blah-di-blah and we were declaring bringing the dog into Canada anyway. It was just never an issue & with the whole visa activating, the emotions of emigrating and such like, we didn't give it a second thought and it didn't seem that anyone else did either.

So then I had a few days to sort out a suitable replacement food over here after landing.

Good luck,
katie
Old Feb 5th 2013, 2:30 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

I'm sure that you'll be fine packing something into your luggage.

My MIL brings over the most disgusting smelling meaty type treats from Waitrose for our dog and she has never had them confiscated in the last six years of travel.

As an aside - she also brings me tinned kidneys in gravy (yum!). Customs officer saw those and thought it was dog food ... couldn't believe that anyone would eat something like that!

Pack up some small packs of unopened kibble and a few treats and biscuits and I'm sure your dog will appreciate a taste of home once he has stopped being overjoyed to see you again

Good luck! J
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingle
Hi there!

I'm sure that you'll be fine packing something into your luggage.

My MIL brings over the most disgusting smelling meaty type treats from Waitrose for our dog and she has never had them confiscated in the last six years of travel.

As an aside - she also brings me tinned kidneys in gravy (yum!). Customs officer saw those and thought it was dog food ... couldn't believe that anyone would eat something like that!

Pack up some small packs of unopened kibble and a few treats and biscuits and I'm sure your dog will appreciate a taste of home once he has stopped being overjoyed to see you again

Good luck! J
Which is fine providing you dont get examined by CBSA.
Be aware that the fines range from $500 to $1300 if you are caught with pet food that doesnt originate in Canada or the USA. So pet food from the UK could lead to a very expensive fine.
Mmmmm tough decision to make I guess.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:10 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Which is fine providing you dont get examined by CBSA.
Be aware that the fines range from $500 to $1300 if you are caught with pet food that doesnt originate in Canada or the USA. So pet food from the UK could lead to a very expensive fine.
Mmmmm tough decision to make I guess.
It's not really that tough is it .....don't bring any.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:16 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I dunno. Never caught in six years? If you're caught they'll just confiscate it; they aren't going fine some middle aged lady because nobody would be such an officious jobsworth.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
No its not There again people do tend to listen to their friends who will say I always do it and Ive never had a problem. There again the friend isnt stuck with paying the fine either.
In simple terms pet food from the UK is PROHIBITED. If you wish to bring it then go ahead just dont bitch when you get the CFIA AMPS Penalty if not declared.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I dunno. Never caught in six years? If you're caught they'll just confiscate it; they aren't going fine some middle aged lady because nobody would be such an officious jobsworth.
Wanna bet How many episodes of Border Security on Global have you watched? They were all filmed at YVR and I saw several CFIA AMPS penalties for $800 handed out.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:22 pm
Got approved. Yippee !

BriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really niceBriSue39 is just really nice

Good morning Canada!
C'mon everybody, is a bit of (meaty) dog food really worth being searched and fined ?
Surely not.
If its not allowed, don't take it.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:24 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Wanna bet How many episodes of Border Security on Global have you watched? They were all filmed at YVR and I saw several CFIA AMPS penalties for $800 handed out.
Fining little old ladies for not knowing you couldn't bring in dog food eh? You must go home thinking you've done a great job of protecting Canada.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good morning Canada!
C'mon everybody, is a bit of (meaty) dog food really worth being searched and fined ?
Surely not.
If its not allowed, don't take it.
Yeah but then it takes work away from me In the big scheme of things CBSA dont have it as a high priority whereas CFIA does. Every $800 fine goes to the Govt to help pay down the debt and provide Canadians with programmes including transfer payments for health care so I say lets keep those $800 fines rolling in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.