British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Dog Breeders? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/dog-breeders-416908/)

andrewrb143 Jan 4th 2007 7:40 pm

Dog Breeders?

2 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know a good breeder in Canada who has some pups for sale? I'm looking for hopefully an Alaskan Malamute or Norwegian Elkhound, and the good ol'Siberian Husky isn't out of the question.

Google hasn't churned up many good leads, plenty of pictures though!

third time lucky Jan 4th 2007 8:07 pm

Re: Dog Breeders?

Try The Canadian Kennel Club website. It has links to breed clubs.

fi_broon Jan 4th 2007 8:17 pm

Dogs in Canada magazine also has a breeder directory :

http://www.dogsincanada.com/

Here is the Alaskan Malamute club of Canada :

http://www.quadrant.net/amcc/

Good luck in your search.

Fi

Grah Jan 5th 2007 6:14 am

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Husky-4-Life/

PHOTO
Members of the Manitoba Chapter of the Siberian Husky Club of Canada at a club dog walk at the Forks Historic Site in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Your moderator is in the lower right of the picture with his dog Bailey. Bailey crossed the Rainbow Bridge in Aug. of 2005 at over 17 yrs

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/ma...l_breeders.htm

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/norwegianelk.htm

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/malamute.htm

andrewrb143 Jan 5th 2007 3:32 pm

Thanks guys, I've been in contact with a few people and although there arent many about I should be able to get one soon!

fi_broon Jan 5th 2007 3:36 pm

Good luck!! We recently got a Dalmatian puppy. Waited 6 months and had to drive to Wisconsin to get him. It can be a frustrating wait.

Fi

Piff Poff Jan 5th 2007 6:31 pm

1 Attachment(s)
There are loads of ads in our classifieds for just that sort of puppy - that's if it isnt important to have a registered pup of course, so it's worth looking in those. Also if you have any doggy day care places where you are, ask in there as they often have notices up for different breeders etc. We were on the verge of spending a small fortune in getting a Chow Chow flown in from Washington DC when lo and behold an ad appeared in the paper, we were actually able to see the pups with both parents and see the temperments of all the pups and parents, for us that was much more important than pedegree registration as we only wanted a pet, not a show dog or anything.

Hope your puppy parents soon!

Almost Canadian Jan 5th 2007 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by andrewrb143 (Post 4249433)
Does anyone know a good breeder in Canada who has some pups for sale? I'm looking for hopefully an Alaskan Malamute or Norwegian Elkhound, and the good ol'Siberian Husky isn't out of the question.

Hi there
You lucky things, hope you find the right puppy soon !!!!

We are bringing 2 rotts with us, one of which is a 20 month old male pup, good luck with your search.

Mrs dying to leave

TruBrit Jan 5th 2007 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by andrewrb143 (Post 4249433)

check out the rescue centres... much better to rehome imo, lots of unwanted neglected christmas pups this time of year...sadly :(

basset Jan 5th 2007 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 4252789)
check out the rescue centres... much better to rehome imo, lots of unwanted neglected christmas pups this time of year...sadly :(

Very true. Also, if you do go for a puppy from a newspaper ad, make ABSOLUTELY sure that they have done all the necessary health tests on the parents. Most people who advertise in the newspaper selling puppies are "backyard breeders" who just want to make some money, and aren't really concerned with the dogs after they have sold them. :mad::mad:

andrewrb143 Jan 8th 2007 4:53 pm

I am seriously considering getting a dog from a rescue shelter, especially considering the prices of a pedigree pub. I already have two resuced cats, both of whom are now living in the lap of spolit luxury.

TruBrit Jan 8th 2007 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by andrewrb143 (Post 4260639)
I am seriously considering getting a dog from a rescue shelter, especially considering the prices of a pedigree pub. I already have two resuced cats, both of whom are now living in the lap of spolit luxury.

well done :)

Atlantic Xpat Jan 8th 2007 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by andrewrb143 (Post 4260639)

We have the worlds most pampered cat who came from the local SPCA. I can't for the life of me imagine why someone dumped him there as he has the most character I've ever seen in an animal. So I'm all for rescue animals. A word of caution though, be aware of what you are getting into.

A couple of years ago we re-homed a dog from a friend who had got him from the SPCA. The friend needed him rehomed as he was attacking their other dog. We took him on, spent 6 mths training (obedience classes, the whole 9 yards) and devoted love and attention to him as you wouldn't believe. Trouble was as he got older he was steadily getting more agressive to other dogs and was also starting to get possessive over Mrs AX. Eventually we had to take the very hard decision to have him put to sleep before he hurt someone. Really tough thing to do but easier than living with ourselves if he had attacked a person.

This poor dog had been abused at an early age and despite the best effort of two sets of owners could not be turned around. The experience has made us very nervous of getting a rescue dog in the future. We'd probably go for a pedigree German Shorthaired Pointer to replace the dearly loved old soul who passed away just before Xmas.

dbd33 Jan 8th 2007 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 4260741)
We have the worlds most pampered cat who came from the local SPCA. I can't for the life of me imagine why someone dumped him there as he has the most character I've ever seen in an animal. So I'm all for rescue animals. A word of caution though, be aware of what you are getting into.

A couple of years ago we re-homed a dog from a friend who had got him from the SPCA. The friend needed him rehomed as he was attacking their other dog. We took him on, spent 6 mths training (obedience classes, the whole 9 yards) and devoted love and attention to him as you wouldn't believe. Trouble was as he got older he was steadily getting more agressive to other dogs and was also starting to get possessive over Mrs AX. Eventually we had to take the very hard decision to have him put to sleep before he hurt someone. Really tough thing to do but easier than living with ourselves if he had attacked a person.

This poor dog had been abused at an early age and despite the best effort of two sets of owners could not be turned around. The experience has made us very nervous of getting a rescue dog in the future. We'd probably go for a pedigree German Shorthaired Pointer to replace the dearly loved old soul who passed away just before Xmas.

This is a worry I have. Our cat came from the animal control and now that we're starting the search for a second dog it crossed my mind to go there for the dog. The problem though is that the people at the Humane Society and the pound fail to differentiate between scruffy dogs in need of care and lethal animals in need of shooting. Right up until the pit bull ban one could even adopt one of those from the Humane Society; now they send them to eat the children in BC. I have no faith that the staff at the dog shelter would reveal anything indicating a dog to be dangerous.

The Escapea Jan 8th 2007 5:58 pm

You can always foster a dog first, before you adopt, to see if it fits into your family and with other pets. Also, a lot of shelters I've seen around here have the animals assessed by independant trainers, so you get an evaluation of their behaviour. The last thing most shelters want is to see an animal back there again because it hasn't been able to settle into its new home - it is bad for the animal and counter-productive for them.

As for pit-bulls - there was a rescued pit bull at the last training class we went to, who was the sweetest, gentlest dog ever - really placid. We met here a few times outside class, and people would stop and ask what she was, as she was so gentle and friendly, and were visibly shocked when they were told 'she's a pit bull'. Shame to think that if she was in England now she'd be being destroyed as part of the pit-bull witch-hunt... :( There's no such thing as 'bad dogs', just bad owners.