Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dog bite advice please

Dog bite advice please

Old Apr 26th 2009, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Dog bite advice please

Ok guys, I need some advice/perspective, as I fear that I'm too angry to think straight right now... I've been stewing over this for a couple of days, so sorry if this turns out long.

On Thurs evening our 2 boys were playing round at a friend's house, when my youngest (6 years old) got viciously bitten in a completely unprovoked attack by a large dog that belongs to some paying guests at the property he was visiting. The injury occurred when our son ran past the dog that was tethered on a long line, outside the property. The dog gave no warning and my son just happened to be running past, not towards it, and the first he knew of a dog even being there was feeling the bite on the *back* of his leg.

I've since learned that the dog had a bone next to it, but my son was running by, not towards it, so it wasn't as though it had any obvious reason to feel threatened. I would say that extreme a guarding reaction constitutes "dangerous", rather than "normal" dog behaviour, wouldn't you? We have since found out that the dog has growled at my friend's husband before now, but obviously we didn't know this beforehand or my boys would never have been round there!!!

The wound was pretty deep and 3.5cm long, requiring 6 stitches ( http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=d5421a91cf )

My son is surprisingly ok about it. He was very brave, although in absolute agony, and he says he doesn't want the dog destroyed, but we're still looking into what we can do about this dog because it's obviously very dangerous. The owners seem totally unconcerned, which is another reason why we're determined to see how far we can take this. Not from a revenge point of view, but because I can see they think it's no big deal, which makes it likely to happen again in my eyes. In 2 days they have made no contact, or apology, or even any little gift for our son... Quite frankly I'm totally disgusted that they can think an injury like that (see pic) is no big deal...not worth acknowledging...

We've reported the incident to the local RCMP who have the authority in this case, in the absence of any local Bylaws about dangerous dogs. The RCMP have given a case number and said that they will contact the owners and the SPCA/animal control officer, but I'm worried that they will take the stance that this is a "first offence" (if the owners can be believed?) and that the fact that the dog's owners are not taking it seriously won't be of any consequence, which just feels SO WRONG!!! :curse:

I know that taking the law into our own hands is not the answer, but at the moment I feel like leaving the dog alone, but being a firm believer in the saying that "there are no bad dogs, just bad owners" I personally want to go and kick the LIVING SH*T out of the dog's owners :curse::curse::curse: Can anyone else give me something more constructive to focus on until we hear back from the RCMP...assuming we do....please...??

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 1:18 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog bite advice please

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Ok guys, I need some advice/perspective, as I fear that I'm too angry to think straight right now... I've been stewing over this for a couple of days, so sorry if this turns out long.

On Thurs evening our 2 boys were playing round at a friend's house, when my youngest (6 years old) got viciously bitten in a completely unprovoked attack by a large dog that belongs to some paying guests at the property he was visiting. The injury occurred when our son ran past the dog that was tethered on a long line, outside the property. The dog gave no warning and my son just happened to be running past, not towards it, and the first he knew of a dog even being there was feeling the bite on the *back* of his leg.

I've since learned that the dog had a bone next to it, but my son was running by, not towards it, so it wasn't as though it had any obvious reason to feel threatened. I would say that extreme a guarding reaction constitutes "dangerous", rather than "normal" dog behaviour, wouldn't you? We have since found out that the dog has growled at my friend's husband before now, but obviously we didn't know this beforehand or my boys would never have been round there!!!

The wound was pretty deep and 3.5cm long, requiring 6 stitches ( http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=d5421a91cf )

My son is surprisingly ok about it. He was very brave, although in absolute agony, and he says he doesn't want the dog destroyed, but we're still looking into what we can do about this dog because it's obviously very dangerous. The owners seem totally unconcerned, which is another reason why we're determined to see how far we can take this. Not from a revenge point of view, but because I can see they think it's no big deal, which makes it likely to happen again in my eyes. In 2 days they have made no contact, or apology, or even any little gift for our son... Quite frankly I'm totally disgusted that they can think an injury like that (see pic) is no big deal...not worth acknowledging...

We've reported the incident to the local RCMP who have the authority in this case, in the absence of any local Bylaws about dangerous dogs. The RCMP have given a case number and said that they will contact the owners and the SPCA/animal control officer, but I'm worried that they will take the stance that this is a "first offence" (if the owners can be believed?) and that the fact that the dog's owners are not taking it seriously won't be of any consequence, which just feels SO WRONG!!! :curse:

I know that taking the law into our own hands is not the answer, but at the moment I feel like leaving the dog alone, but being a firm believer in the saying that "there are no bad dogs, just bad owners" I personally want to go and kick the LIVING SH*T out of the dog's owners :curse::curse::curse: Can anyone else give me something more constructive to focus on until we hear back from the RCMP...assuming we do....please...??

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!
i hope i am wrong, but i have a feeling this will be recorded, monitored, advice given and nothing more. your only real recourse would be potentially to sue civilly i think and hit them in the wallet. as i say i may be wrong, simply going of dealings so far in AB of a similar nature where byelaw officers are involved, RCMP clearly have more pull so hopefully they will handle it more sternly. let us know, best wishes.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 1:28 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

My sympathies to your son.

I was clearing snow at the bottom of our driveway early one morning this past winter, and a neighbour's dog ran across the road and sunk his teeth into my leg, tore through 3 layers of clothing and left deep puncture wounds.

The neighbour decided to put the dog down, which was sad, but it could have been prevented if he'd kept the dog in a secure yard rather than let it roam free. I think he was concerned that the local by-law enforcement officers would have taken a dim view if the incident had been reported, as they'd recently been clamping down on irresponsible dog owners.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i hope i am wrong, but i have a feeling this will be recorded, monitored, advice given and nothing more. your only real recourse would be potentially to sue civilly i think and hit them in the wallet. as i say i may be wrong, simply going of dealings so far in AB of a similar nature where byelaw officers are involved, RCMP clearly have more pull so hopefully they will handle it more sternly. let us know, best wishes.
Thanks for the reply. We've thought of a civil case but (a) Unless the dog has bitten before, it's unlikely to succeed, and (b) THANKFULLY our son is unlikely to have any lasting effects from the attack, unless his mental state drastically changes from how he's appearing to be handling it now. We have our own dog, and he's still totally comfortable with him, and we also went round to a different friend's house today who has a couple of big dogs that our son hadn't met before, and he showed absolutely no sign of nervousness at all. He's also had 2 good night's sleep since the attack, so no sign of subconscious issues, nightmares, etc...

I think he's realised that he's just been very unlucky, and I don't think it's going to leave him with any phobias, thank goodness. He's always been taught not to approach a dog without the owners permission, etc. It's just that he didn't even know that particular dog was there until it was too late...

I consider myself a dog lover. I've never lived in a family environment without at least one dog, usually two...but if ANY dog of mine EVER bit any child that wasn't seriously tormenting it, it would be immediately put to sleep.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by R I C H
My sympathies to your son.

I was clearing snow at the bottom of our driveway early one morning this past winter, and a neighbour's dog ran across the road and sunk his teeth into my leg, tore through 3 layers of clothing and left deep puncture wounds.

The neighbour decided to put the dog down, which was sad, but it could have been prevented if he'd kept the dog in a secure yard rather than let it roam free. I think he was concerned that the local by-law enforcement officers would have taken a dim view if the incident had been reported, as they'd recently been clamping down on irresponsible dog owners.
Thanks R I C H. The gutting thing here is that I spoke to our Bylaw Enforcement Officer to find out where we stood and she was TOTALLY sympathetic - basically fuming on our behalf - but she has no authority because there's no local by-law that covers this, here.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
I would say that extreme a guarding reaction constitutes "dangerous", rather than "normal" dog behaviour, wouldn't you?

It is potentially very dangerous, yes - but it's also perfectly 'normal' Canine behaviour. He perceived a threat and reacted accordingly. He needs training out of that and it can be done.

The owners seem totally unconcerned being a firm believer in the saying that "there are no bad dogs, just bad owners"

This is the most worrying thing - and you are so right; the owners are the problem, not the Dog.

I'm so sorry for you and your son. This had the potential to be so much worse - they really should do something about the Dog. The chance of it happening again and having a much worse outcome is very high. Can you try explaining this to the offending owners? It's sad, but if you point out to them the potential personal cost THEY could face, maybe they will see sense? Failing that - feel free to go smash his face in? It's unbelievable that they haven't even offered an apology :curse:

It's such a blessing that your Son has taken it in stride and seems unaffected. I wish you luck - and please keep us posted.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Calgal
Thanks Calgal,

Maybe I phrased it wrongly - I didn't mean the behaviour was not normal as in not instinctive/natural; I meant it is not normal as in not usual. I know all dogs have the potential to behave this way, but most pet dogs would require more of a trigger, or would issue a warning snarl/heckles-up, rather than immediate attack that causes that sort of damage through thick trousers.
I know this warning didn't happen because my 9 year old witnessed the whole thing and I think *he's* more likely to dwell on what happened than his brother...
Old Apr 26th 2009, 4:57 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alex - i know where you are coming from - my son was bitten by our neigh bours dog - - slightly diff situation - it turned out that the dog had an ear infection -we didnt know this or I would have told the kids to leave the dog alone - My boy didnt know - hugged the dog that was usually v affectionate - obv caught its ear and it turned and snapped- bit his face and hand - LUCKILY not deep and also my boy was not traumatised - actually he was more upset at neighbour who shouted at the dog so loudly, chased and beat it.

Neighbour was all for putting the dog down - but it was me that said lets hold fire , he had never done anything like it before and had been ill. But we both went to the police to report it so that it was recorded - in case, god forbid, it happened again.

the next day our neighbour came round with so much lego for my son i had to tell him to take some back!

However, had my neighbour NOT been so upset, accomodating I think I would have been in a totally diff frame of mine and so can see where you are coming from.

Have you spoken to the owners again - suggesting training and also that they apologise / show some sort of remorse?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon

the next day our neighbour came round with so much lego for my son i had to tell him to take some back!

LOL! I'd actually said to my husband that if our dog had done that, regardless of whether we'd decided to have him put down or not, we'd have been round there with the biggest Lego set we could find by now

However, had my neighbour NOT been so upset, accomodating I think I would have been in a totally diff frame of mine and so can see where you are coming from.

Have you spoken to the owners again - suggesting training and also that they apologise / show some sort of remorse?

No, to be honest we've not made any attempt to make contact, thinking that they should be the ones to come and talk to us... Probably a bit juvenile...

But also I don't want to risk being seen as "intimidating" them, and I don't think I'd be able to keep calm if she didn't come across as sorry enough, if you see what I mean?

Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:14 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alex, sorry cant really offer any advice, other than previous comments, eg try and speak to the owners again.

Glad that your son seems to be taking it in his stride, what an awful situation for you

Best wishes
Old Apr 26th 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, some people (thankfully not all) with large dogs that roam around the streets, tend to think that because their dog is friendly to them - its fine to let it wander the streets and harrass other people because it doesn't occur to them, or else they refuse to consider, that the dog might not be friendly to other people. This type of person is often extremely defensive if you dare to criticize them or their dog. I am wondering if you are dealing with this type of person and if so, then I would think it extremely normal that they would make no contact with you and avoid even talking to you about it. I don't know what to suggest, but I think that if you do go to talk to them, it might not end up well --- if they are anything like my neighbours, they will just say it was your son's fault and it will end up in a shouting match!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:13 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad your lads OK.

The dog owners may know that one of the problems with an apology for this is that it could void their liability insurance, as an apology can be taken as an admission of guilt and used in court against them.

or they could just be slime bags.

Personally if they really don't care that their dog badly bit someone, I would take them to court, perhaps small claims for the costs involved, new clothes, drive to the hospital, medical costs etc., it wont be a lot of money but it may focus their attention.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:17 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
I'm glad your lads OK.

The dog owners may know that one of the problems with an apology for this is that it could void their liability insurance, as an apology can be taken as an admission of guilt and used in court against them.

or they could just be slime bags.

Personally if they really don't care that their dog badly bit someone, I would take them to court, perhaps small claims for the costs involved, new clothes, drive to the hospital, medical costs etc., it wont be a lot of money but it may focus their attention.
What he said. Glad he is on the mend.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

methinks litigation will go nowhere and will end up costing you time and money ... the dog was tied up so it could be argued that the owners had been reasonable ... glad to hear your boy is ok and not traumatized
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

In the olden days you would have expected an apology and genuine remorse ... but in this modern era of insane political correctness and obscene fear of any litigation such a reaction is no longer to be expected!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.