Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else find it ironic...

Does anyone else find it ironic...

Old Mar 21st 2011, 7:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone else find it ironic...

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/p...-contempt?bn=1

There's always a first time. No other Government of Canada has ever been found in contempt of parliament before.

Way to go Stevie baby.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/p...-contempt?bn=1

There's always a first time. No other Government of Canada has ever been found in contempt of parliament before.

Way to go Stevie baby.
So it looks like he will increase his party's number of MPs sooner rather than later then, irrespective of what the "coalition" choose to do.

What do the opinion polls say again?

It will be interesting to see if they have the balls to reduce their own numbers on the basis of principle.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So it looks like he will increase his party's number of MPs sooner rather than later then, irrespective of what the "coalition" choose to do.

What do the opinion polls say again?

It will be interesting to see if they have the balls to reduce their own numbers on the basis of principle.
Of course, Harper could always prorogue for the third time. That'd be another first.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'll tell you what I find ironic... I've lived in Canada for 3.5 years and I'm still genuinely surprised every time I discover that Canadians may be involved in real world events.

"Oh, Canada has an air force? Well, who knew...?"
Lots hof gud weedin dare 4 ya...

http://airforce.ca/wwii.php
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, Harper could always prorogue for the third time. That'd be another first.

I suppose he could. That will drive the chattering classes nuts!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:10 pm
Born again atheist

But the fact, unfortunately, is that the bovine Canadian electorate wouldn't give a damn. And this is what makes Harper so dangerous. He's a cynic about the democratic process and has no respect for anything decent or moral.

Edit <I can't believe I just typed decent or moral... I'm getting old>
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Won't it just....
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

But the fact, unfortunately, is that the bovine Canadian electorate wouldn't give a damn. And this is what makes Harper so dangerous. He's a cynic about the democratic process and has no respect for anything decent or moral.

Edit <I can't believe I just typed decent or moral... I'm getting old>
Opinions are of course...like bovine or other arseholes....
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:35 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

My house got one of those calls from "the Prime Ministers Office". My younger son took the call and they asked if they could speak to me. I was sitting right there but my son just said "You don't really want to do that, you really don't" and then hung up.

I've taught the lad something after all.
but the PMO wouldn't be phoning on a party political matter, surely that would have been abuse of parliamentary.... oh, hang on.

Perhaps they were calling to sound you out about whether you'd graciously accept a nomination to the Order of Canada?

<guffaw>
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:04 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airbornesapper
Won't it just....
Yes - but these people don't exist and never have. You only mentioned them so you could make it seem like your implicitly stated position is under threat and therefore justify your self righteously indignant defence of it.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:55 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

Perhaps they were calling to sound you out about whether you'd graciously accept a nomination to the Order of Canada?
I've already turned that one down.

Conflict of interest, don't you know?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes - but these people don't exist and never have. You only mentioned them so you could make it seem like your implicitly stated position is under threat and therefore justify your self righteously indignant defence of it.
I have read and re-read that and I can't understand what you are saying

My implicitly stated position. I thought I made it clear I didn't have a position.

It seems popular to slate Harper, even when I have yet to really hear any opposition to the vast majority of his policies, or any credible alternative. I appreciate that he may be a knob but, since he came to power, is there anything he has done (except the gaffs that, really, amounted to very little) that anyone really opposes? I frequently hear people complaining about him. When you ask them what they would do instead and why, their silence is deafening.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 12:46 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I have read and re-read that and I can't understand what you are saying
It's not that difficult - it's in english.

Use of the pejorative phrase 'chattering classes' to describe a group of people who you would disagree with (if they existed). You will say you never said that, but the phrase is loaded with negative connotations.

as you are a lawyer I know you know this - you'll see a lot of it in court (no denials - I saw plenty when I did jury duty). Choosing the appropriate language to subvert the narrative to one of your choosing without having to explicitly state your position. It's a common and quite effective debating trick - allowing the person using it to claim balance after the fact like wot you just did

as for Harper - I really cgaff, though there is one thing he has done that will affect many on here. He has dicked about with the family class visa's such that parental sponsorship times may well have doubled overnight (to over 10 years). He did this whilst claiming the opposite. To be honest I'm surprised to not see any threads on this.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's not that difficult - it's in english.

Use of the pejorative phrase 'chattering classes' to describe a group of people who you would disagree with (if they existed). You will say you never said that, but the phrase is loaded with negative connotations.
I don't know that I would disagree with them; simply that I have much more betterer things to do than worry myself about it.

as you are a lawyer I know you know this - you'll see a lot of it in court (no denials - I saw plenty when I did jury duty). Choosing the appropriate language to subvert the narrative to one of your choosing without having to explicitly state your position. It's a common and quite effective debating trick - allowing the person using it to claim balance after the fact like wot you just did

Thank you. I believe you are over thinking things. I had no such ulterior motive

as for Harper - I really cgaff, though there is one thing he has done that will affect many on here. He has dicked about with the family class visa's such that parental sponsorship times may well have doubled overnight (to over 10 years). He did this whilst claiming the opposite. To be honest I'm surprised to not see any threads on this.
Which, to the vast majority of Canadians, means very little.

Think what you will about him (I am not suggesting you are thinking anything), the opinion polls appear to have him kicking the arses of the rest. While the issue of whether this is deserved is moot, I do not believe for one minute that he will decrease his party's strength at the next election. And I will be allowed to vote in it but, as you know, I will decline to.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Bring back 'Jean Poutine Cretin'....

And then my personal favorite:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.