Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

As a Doctor, I’m Sick of All The Health Care Freeloaders

As a Doctor, I’m Sick of All The Health Care Freeloaders

Old Dec 28th 2017, 10:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default As a Doctor, I’m Sick of All The Health Care Freeloaders

I used to believe that everyone deserved health care. Now, I work in a clinic where the vast majority of my patients are on government-funded health care. I have learned that the stereotypes about these people are true: Most of my patients have never worked a day in their lives.

They are extremely ungrateful for the care that hardworking taxpayers provide for them. Patients have punched me, bitten me, screamed at me, and even urinated on me. I often leave with vomit on my clothes.
In my semi awake/asleep state - I can't even remember which - I was in bed with CBC radio on and I heard this woman speaking. I wasn't aware of an introduction, source, or anything. I just thought I was hearing someone rant.

Until....

https://www.texasobserver.org/chip-doctor-texas-kids/
Old Dec 29th 2017, 12:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As a Doctor, I’m Sick of All The Health Care Freeloaders

Certainly not what I was expecting based on the headline.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

The whole healthcare with insurance racket is contemptible in Canada. It might be part of the benefits package that employers provide at various levels, but everyone from the drug company to the dentist to the middle man peddling the various products takes more than their fair slice, it is not only the employer that pays through the nose for it, if you don't get full 100% coverage, the patient also pays big time. My view is that the Canadian health system paid through insurance is ......it is arse!
Old Dec 29th 2017, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
^This.

I nearly didn't read the link.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

I did...babies. It's called thread drift.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 3:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine how bad it is in the US, at least in Canada we get basic healthcare covered.

I hate how employers that offer extended benefits can force employees to have it. I pay $70/month for pretty crummy insurance that I would rather not have.

I would rather have the 900 or so per year as income as the insurance is pretty useless and poor coverage.

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
The whole healthcare with insurance racket is contemptible in Canada. It might be part of the benefits package that employers provide at various levels, but everyone from the drug company to the dentist to the middle man peddling the various products takes more than their fair slice, it is not only the employer that pays through the nose for it, if you don't get full 100% coverage, the patient also pays big time. My view is that the Canadian health system paid through insurance is ......it is arse!
Old Dec 29th 2017, 5:05 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine how bad it is in the US, at least in Canada we get basic healthcare covered.I hate how employers that offer extended benefits can force employees to have it. I pay $70/month for pretty crummy insurance that I would rather not have.I would rather have the 900 or so per year as income as the insurance is pretty useless and poor coverage.
There is so much money associated with the health industry that coupled with the defence industry they exist as the two major support towers of the governmental sleaze suspension bridge riddled as it is with corruption. We, the people, stand increasingly terrified and huddled together on the bridge deck as the towers grow increasingly fatter and taller stretching the suspension cables to breaking poiint. Inevitably they fail and we, all of us, left to ourselves. fall into the chasm leaving the towers still standing, untouched by the chaos beneath.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 8:26 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
There is so much money associated with the health industry that coupled with the defence industry they exist as the two major support towers of the governmental sleaze suspension bridge riddled as it is with corruption. We, the people, stand increasingly terrified and huddled together on the bridge deck as the towers grow increasingly fatter and taller stretching the suspension cables to breaking poiint. Inevitably they fail and we, all of us, left to ourselves. fall into the chasm leaving the towers still standing, untouched by the chaos beneath.
Have you been watching "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"?!
Old Dec 29th 2017, 11:23 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful Bristol - Thank you!

You started my day with a smile!

My husband needed to go to the doctor this week. We don't have a doctor of course as we've only lived here for 5 years. So he's up and outside the Mall at 6:15 - that guarantees a good place in the queue, outside, until they open the door to the Mall and they can file inside at 7:00 and then the clinic opens at 7:30 and takes the first 35 people in the line up....and it's -35 this week...it surely ensures the survival of the fittest.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
^This.

I nearly didn't read the link.
Ditto. Thanks for the link, Bristol.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 1:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Ditto. Thanks for the link, Bristol.
Ditto ditto. I twigged on colourful objects.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 1:34 pm
Yo

Meanwhile, some sense in this proposal...

Drunk tanks may become norm, NHS boss warns 'selfish' revellers - BBC News
Old Dec 29th 2017, 3:32 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Have you been watching "Rise of the Planet of the Apes"?!
One too many glasses of wine I fear....
Old Dec 29th 2017, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

Downside to Canada's system, lack of doctors and long waits at walk in clinics.

Originally Posted by MillieF
Wonderful Bristol - Thank you!

You started my day with a smile!

My husband needed to go to the doctor this week. We don't have a doctor of course as we've only lived here for 5 years. So he's up and outside the Mall at 6:15 - that guarantees a good place in the queue, outside, until they open the door to the Mall and they can file inside at 7:00 and then the clinic opens at 7:30 and takes the first 35 people in the line up....and it's -35 this week...it surely ensures the survival of the fittest.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 4:41 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Oh I so agree. There's an entire level in healthcare that's unnecessary. Billing OHIP or whatever your provincial plan is called is daft. Services should be provided without doctors, departments having to bill OHIP for reimbursement. The system we have here is provided in the same way that private hospitals are in England.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.