Docked tails

Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Docked tails

Does anyone know if boxers are still allowed to have their tails docked in Alberta.

Sadly we just lost one of our boxers and are planning ahead thinking about when to buy another. Here in the UK they have recently banned docking and it's now illegal:curse: All puppies will now have full tails, which personally I don't think looks right and was wanting to know if the practice of docking is allowed in Canada.

We are thinking that if it is we will wait to buy a puppy until we come over and reduce the cost by not having to fly one over, but if it is not allowed then we will buy from a breeder that we know in UK.

Does anyone know how much they sell for? I've looked at breeders sites but can't see any prices.

Thanks Sharon
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

third time lucky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Docked tails

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
Does anyone know if boxers are still allowed to have their tails docked in Alberta.

Sadly we just lost one of our boxers and are planning ahead thinking about when to buy another. Here in the UK they have recently banned docking and it's now illegal:curse: All puppies will now have full tails, which personally I don't think looks right and was wanting to know if the practice of docking is allowed in Canada.

We are thinking that if it is we will wait to buy a puppy until we come over and reduce the cost by not having to fly one over, but if it is not allowed then we will buy from a breeder that we know in UK.

Does anyone know how much they sell for? I've looked at breeders sites but can't see any prices.

Thanks Sharon
According to the Canadian Kennel Club, the breed standard calls for a docked tail, carried high. It would be worth checking with a vet though.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

third time lucky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by boxerdog03

Thanks Sharon
Another thing to watch out for is if the puppy is sold with a "non breeding contract". It probably wouldn't matter if you have no intention of breeding,
but if you do, it can bump the price up considerlably to exclude the non breeding clause. You could still breed the dogs, but you would be unable to register them with the Canadian Kennel Club, thereby reducing your market
and lowering your asking price.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear about your boxer, they really do become one of the family, so I inderstand how you must be feeling.

We have a dobermann (Dexter) who is coming with us to Alberta, I imagine he'll get some odd looks, as in Canada they have their ears cropped - it is illegal to crop ears in the UK - being a boxer owner, I guess you're aware of this already, as it's the same for boxers in Canada (they have cropped ears).

Personally, I prefer Dexter with natural ears as he uses them to express himself. I've also read that breeds of dogs that have their ears cropped that live in cold climates can be prone to frostbite on their ears.

Once settled in Alberta (we have a house to build first once we get there ) we plan to get 2 more dobermanns (with natural ears!!!).

All the best,

Arris
Attached Thumbnails Docked tails-dobie-copped-ears.jpg   Docked tails-dexter.bmp  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Arris; Jun 6th 2007 at 11:09 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arris

I've also read that breeds of dogs that have their ears cropped that live in cold climates can be prone to frostbite on their ears.
I guess for Dobermanns & other breeds living in cold climates whom have cropped ears, they should have one of these
Attached Thumbnails Docked tails-dobie-hat-.jpg  
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies, it's really a difficult decision without the tail/no tail issue to add to it. As we've only just lost Cass we feel it's too soon to get another, but the other two are pining and we've never just had one dog, so they have never been on their own. Anyway not a decision for straight away, at least I know they are docked in Canada.

Arris I agree with you, they have so much more expression when their ears are natural. I would however love to get my hands on one of those ear warmers, it would be interesting to see how long it took for her to destroy them At the training xmas party (for the dogs) everyone dressed their dogs up, we tried but couldn't comlete a circle to be judged for Tiah trying to stand on her santa beard and rip it to shreds.

Sharon
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:03 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dexter is gorgeous.
I guess for Dobermanns & other breeds living in cold climates whom have cropped ears, they should have one of these
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Here are mine, Tiah, Bully & Cass (the one we lost)
Attached Thumbnails Docked tails-june-07-050.jpg   Docked tails-18th-august-076.jpg   Docked tails-cass.jpg  
Old Jun 7th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

HAHAHA!!!
Doberman court jester
Old Jun 7th 2007, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

hi sharon
sorry to hear about your boxer

i thought there was still some vets who would tail dock in england if the dog could be shown to be a working dog.i know the ban is complete in scotland and many people i know with spaniels are travelling south of the border to vets

may be worth going via the kennel club to ask which vets they would reccomend.
if they ask what type of work the dog does , just explain they go beating and picking up at local pheasant shoots.

good luck
Old Jun 7th 2007, 12:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Our dog looks disappointing balanced. Does anyone know of a vet in Canada who would chop one of his legs off?
Old Jun 7th 2007, 12:13 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Our dog looks disappointing balanced. Does anyone know of a vet in Canada who would chop one of his legs off?
Well said, that man. It's nature's job to decide how many ears, tails and legs a dog has. Deliberately mutilating a dog is a disgusting practice.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

edinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to alledinburgh is a name known to all

i wouldnt say mutilating just practicle , having seen dogs with their tails shredded and bleeding after working in gorse or catching it going over a barbed wire fence i think the ban on docking dogs especially working dogs is ridiculous
Old Jun 7th 2007, 12:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edinburgh
i wouldnt say mutilating just practicle , having seen dogs with their tails shredded and bleeding after working in gorse or catching it going over a barbed wire fence i think the ban on docking dogs especially working dogs is ridiculous

Is boxdoger03 a farmer?
Old Jun 7th 2007, 12:33 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by edinburgh
I generally don't watch Crufts but I can't seem to remember much evidence of gorse or barbed wire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.