Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Do you enjoy the events your town/city has?

Do you enjoy the events your town/city has?

Old May 3rd 2015, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you enjoy the events your town/city has?

I know some towns/city's are better then others, so do you enjoy the events that occur in your town/city?

Or are you eh on it and find them less then exciting?

I think I narrowed down why Squamish and I don't mix. Not enough to do and I get bored which makes my brain over think which is never a good thing.

Looking at the events and festivals for the coming year, and boy none of them sound exciting.

(some have already passed.)

Refresh market, curated indie, hipster market place for hand made locally designed wares.

Day out with Thomas the Train

Loop the lake race

Test of metal (mountain bike race)

BC Bike race

Beer festival

Squamish triathlon

Mountain festival (celebrate the climbing culture.)

Gearjammer (mountain bike race)

Logger days (forestry/logging something or other)

Music Festival (this makes the town exciting for 2 days. I don't go to it since it costs big $$, but you can hear the music from our apartment and people watching is always entertaining.)

Granfondo (bike race from Vancouver through town to Whistler, so not really anything to do with this town.)

I think I am a fish out of water......
Old May 3rd 2015, 9:29 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you enjoy the events your town/city has?

Lol I never been to Ajax events, either too busy working or out some where doing some thing else or other.
Old May 3rd 2015, 9:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I think I am a fish out of water......
Consider getting deeply involved in the Beer Festival.
Old May 3rd 2015, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Consider getting deeply involved in the Beer Festival.
Make beer taste good.....

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Lol I never been to Ajax events, either too busy working or out some where doing some thing else or other.
We are semi-isolated 60-70km from the nearest anything else any direction, so I decided to look into things to do to occupy some time which I have way way too much of with nothing to do....lol

Sun to Tues into Wed morning, then have Wed 7am to Sunday 7am off, so a lot of time and internet and TV are getting boring......

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, there are basically 2 types in town, those who were born here and haven't left, and the rest moved here for the life style....lol
Old May 3rd 2015, 10:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Make beer taste good.....

We are semi-isolated 60-70km from the nearest anything else any direction, so I decided to look into things to do to occupy some time which I have way way too much of with nothing to do....lol

Sun to Tues into Wed morning, then have Wed 7am to Sunday 7am off, so a lot of time and internet and TV are getting boring......

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, there are basically 2 types in town, those who were born here and haven't left, and the rest moved here for the life style....lol
I'm semi-serious here mate (not that I fundamentally give a damn except for basic humanism) but you're getting more and more negative these days. More and more depressed (sounding).

Just think if you can see what I mean and then think about what you might do about it.

Bonne chance.
Old May 3rd 2015, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm semi-serious here mate (not that I fundamentally give a damn except for basic humanism) but you're getting more and more negative these days. More and more depressed (sounding).

Just think if you can see what I mean and then think about what you might do about it.

Bonne chance.
I've had a lot of road blocks as of late which has been brining me down quite a lot.

I am also not where I want to be in life, and don't have access to the things I want in life and it frustrates me to no end, which turns into depression.
Old May 3rd 2015, 11:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I nearly got to see some fireworks last week but they were not at the usual venue.

There's a beer festival here, wine fest, mobile home thing, lots of craft dos, classic cars, bikes, dragon boat...quite a lot really.

But the fireworks would be the only thing I'd like to see.

That's why last week was so disappointing. Decent weather and no mosquitoes to bother you.
Old May 4th 2015, 3:47 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a lot of road blocks as of late which has been brining me down quite a lot.

I am also not where I want to be in life, and don't have access to the things I want in life and it frustrates me to no end, which turns into depression.
Don't go the beer fest then that won't help

You like planes and aircraft in general, u should have a go at learning to fly RC planes, if u live in a rural area then it's perfect for teaching yourself to fly RC. But be warned, it can get addictive
Old May 4th 2015, 3:11 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

We had a Hurricane Hunters event at the airport at the weekend. Two aircraft and a bunch of pilots and crew to chat to from the National Hurricane Centre. It was really good, and free!

Theres usually something on all the time here in the summer, but that one was new.
Old May 4th 2015, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Apart from the Atlantic motor show every other event here seems very half arsed.

I am really looking forward to the England Ladies Football matches here in a few weeks
Old May 4th 2015, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know your town, but I'd guess that if it's smallish like mine, most of those events are organised by volunteers. It seems like a pretty wide assortment to me, but if there's nothing that interests you why not set up your own event?

As a disclaimer I'm certainly not one one of those gung ho committee types. A friend is the main organiser of our biggest local event, and asked me to take on a small part of it. I declined (hopefully graciously) because I mostly don't like people, or want to have to deal with them , but I wouldn't then complain about what others were organising. Perhaps you could start something really good?
Old May 4th 2015, 6:49 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Apart from the Atlantic motor show every other event here seems very half arsed.
Your Atlantic motor show is bloody brilliant though....Hot Rod magazine and loads of others do write ups on it every year.

Last year too you had the Atlantic Air Show, and that was fantastic, but its in PEI this year, August 22nd & 23rd.

We have quite a lot, I don't like, we have Frex, which is our big Exhibition, with 'Midway' rides which are like a carnival, but the whole thing has never appealed much - hot dog sausages dipped in batter and then fried, are a big favourite For the same reason, I'm not keen on RibFest. Food at any outdoor event here is truly awful.

The Harvest Blues and Jazz Festival is very popular here, but I don't know how anyone normal can afford the tickets. I can't.

Once the kids are on holiday we do have lots of things to do and see for families. We have the 'Changing of the Guard' in Officers Square, with a cannon, twice a day. Fredericton is very pretty, and amazingly scenic and there is lots to do in the summer. We have open air cinema in the Square too, and bands all over the city of all different types, rock, folk, blues, country and they are all free too. Haunted house walks and lots of drama stuff going on, mainly tourisity, but nice. Take your dog and meet other walkers day is always popular.

We had a Women's Conference this weekend - it was free and it was good, lots of alternative medicine, make-up, cup cakes and a really nice atmosphere. We've got the Marathon next weekend.

We are jammed packed with amazing activities and I really like lots of it.
We have great fireworks at Frex Bristol, on Labour Day....in my kitchen, it sounds like I'm in Beirut! We have lots of Beer, Whisky and Wine and Gastronomic weekends and they seem well attended, but I'm not inclined.

Last edited by MillieF; May 4th 2015 at 6:49 pm. Reason: typo