Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Do you eat British style or Canadian style?

View Poll Results: Do you eat British style or Canadian style?
Use a knife and fork simultaneously in either hand?
42.86%
Use a fork like a spoon and shovel your food up?
8.57%
Use both methods?
11.43%
Depends on type of food?
27.14%
Depends on social situation?
4.29%
Use your hands?
5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Do you eat British style or Canadian style?

Old May 16th 2010, 11:22 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you eat British style or Canadian style?

Originally Posted by Souvy
I suspect that we are overly British. We use linen napkins for every meal and nobody eats until the cook is seated.
You eat with the cook? <shudders> Fraternisation with the domestic staff leads to the collapse of society. You'll be telling me that you don't dress for dinner next?
Old May 16th 2010, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bali2010
oooo i love this!!

I showed it to my Canadian Hubby. He said "and i thought you were just pompous! lol"
Old May 16th 2010, 11:55 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You eat with the cook? <shudders> Fraternisation with the domestic staff leads to the collapse of society. You'll be telling me that you don't dress for dinner next?
I don't dress for anything much these days. I've gone native. Quite why I bother to keep so many suits, shirts and ties, I do not know.

It was years before I finally chucked out my morning dress. It's not as if I was ever going to wear it again.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

In the US forums, we just had a knife & fork thread that went well over 10 pages. Come on you slackers, pick up the pace!
Old May 17th 2010, 3:27 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Not only that but I believe that the Souvs even had to buy their furniture.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:31 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the eating styles presented 'web 2.0' style. Unfortunately, there's no punchline, there's no scary zombie bursting onto the scene with a scream at the end. It's actually rather dull.

In fact, don't even bother watching it.

Much better wasting the time watching this instead:-

Old May 17th 2010, 3:32 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Not only that but I believe that the Souvs even had to buy their furniture.
Only some of it. The rest, I make (or we buy it and then I modify it).

I shall be playing with my plug cutter this afternoon.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:42 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with making your own furniture, Souv. Even royalty did it.

That Louis XIV must have had some size of workshop round the back of the palace.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:54 am
Slob

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Nothing wrong with making your own furniture, Souv. Even royalty did it.

That Louis XIV must have had some size of workshop round the back of the palace.
Nothing wrong with it at all. I find it therapeutic, apart from the bits when I end up needing therapy. I've been a bit ambitious on this project and I'm paying for it.
Old May 17th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

What is the usual etiquette for removal of plates etc at a restaurant in north america. Staff seem keen to yank plates out of the way before everyone at the table finishes eating.
Old May 17th 2010, 6:11 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimf
What is the usual etiquette for removal of plates etc at a restaurant in north america. Staff seem keen to yank plates out of the way before everyone at the table finishes eating.
They do that in the UK too at more casual/downmarket places. I don't mind if its a place for breakfast or brunch but it's really annoying at dinner. The poor slow eater then has everyone's attention focused on them - why are you so slow, why are you eating so much, stop eating now we want our pudding.
Old May 17th 2010, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
They do that in the UK too at more casual/downmarket places. I don't mind if its a place for breakfast or brunch but it's really annoying at dinner. The poor slow eater then has everyone's attention focused on them - why are you so slow, why are you eating so much, stop eating now we want our pudding.
It does happen in the UK but from what I remember is the exception rather than the rule, but you're probably right the more downmarket the more likely they are to yank them away. I will take note of what happens when we visit in the summer.
Old May 17th 2010, 8:36 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Now I thought this was cos I was a tourist & didn't choose the venue well.
Old May 17th 2010, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

All this Britisher talk about manners and forks reminds me of:

Old May 17th 2010, 4:50 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dthomas
All this Britisher talk about manners and forks reminds me of:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MlfcF1I5e_g

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AwZaqZaRe...ext=1&index=36
You're such a card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.