British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Do you care about the British royal family? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/do-you-care-about-british-royal-family-831076/)

happyhammers Apr 12th 2014 5:40 am

Re: Do you care about the British royal family?

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx (Post 11216095)
But they still get to live in them... If they are owned by the state why don't they let other normal Britons live in them? Oh, right, cos they aren't the royal family !

Normal Britons ?

I can just see Vicky Pollard sitting on the throne , yeh but no but :lol:, or how about the people of the channel 4's series Benefit Street

Gozit Apr 12th 2014 6:23 am

Originally Posted by happyhammers (Post 11216116)
Normal Britons ?

:D
Yes, normal, working class British citizens :p

Originally Posted by happyhammers
I can just see Vicky Pollard sitting on the throne , yeh but no but :lol:, or how about the people of the channel 4's series Benefit Street

:rofl:

bc_guy Apr 12th 2014 9:38 am

Originally Posted by colchar (Post 11216023)
You would need to back up that 80% claim with some proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqQmb3YmgQE

I can't seem to find the exact news article where I first read this 3 years ago, but the video states it.

bc_guy Apr 12th 2014 9:42 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11216062)
Why does no one ever call them "The Canadian Royal Family" ?

Because the Canadian Royal Family was either kidnapped or killed by tooth decay (South Park joke).

Dashie Apr 12th 2014 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11215958)
I agree they don't seem so bad when you're away. But the concept is wrong.

The concept of the Royal Family, or the fact that I like them?

Sally Redux Apr 12th 2014 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Dashie (Post 11216303)
The concept of the Royal Family, or the fact that I like them?

The concept of a monarchy.

Dashie Apr 12th 2014 1:06 pm

Not historically. Mostly ceremonial now I grant you.

Novocastrian Apr 12th 2014 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dashie (Post 11216412)
Not historically. Mostly ceremonial now I grant you.

Quite, but a ****ing expensive ceremony.

Gozit Apr 12th 2014 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11216457)
Quite, but a ****ing expensive ceremony.

Exactly:)

leith Apr 13th 2014 5:22 am

I'm not British - I'm Scottish, and I don't recognize that Lizzie and Phil and their offspring have anything to do with Scotland. Don't see that they're much use even to England but let the English pay for their own expensive ornaments.

happyhammers Apr 13th 2014 6:05 am

Originally Posted by leith (Post 11217186)
I'm not British - I'm Scottish, and I don't recognize that Lizzie and Phil and their offspring have anything to do with Scotland. Don't see that they're much use even to England but let the English pay for their own expensive ornaments.

English, England, I thought that was finished a long time ago !:D

Editha Apr 13th 2014 11:54 am

Originally Posted by leith (Post 11217186)

You appear to be historically challenged. When Elizabeth I of England died childless in 1603 she was succeeded by James VI of Scotland who became James I of England. Since then the kingdoms of Scotland and England have had the same monarch. Elizabeth II is as much Queen of Scotland as she is of England, and her right to reign rests on her descent from Mary Queen of Scots.

So the Royal Family are Scotland's expensive ornaments too.

Shard Apr 13th 2014 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11216352)
The concept of a monarchy.

However, as a constitutional monarchy it works reasonably well. The royals provide a tangible link to England's ruling and democratic history, and add some genuine colour and gilt to state ceremonies. If anything the Windsors et al are puppets of the people, and the fact that they can mocked and parodied is a testament to British openness. They are neutral politically and provide a theoretical counterbalance of public opinion.

jamesmc Apr 13th 2014 12:22 pm

Elizabeth 1 not 2 of Scotland to be correct.:sneaky:
speaking for myself once lizzie dies that should lead to a modernization of the royal family.
Now i came from an area of Scotland where the royal family used to visit a lot and according to workmates who lived/wifes were housekeepers on the large estates where princess Anne used to visit for the horsey type events ,she was a really down to earth person it was her hanger ons that were the real pain in the %%% and thought they were royalty.

Sally Redux Apr 13th 2014 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11217535)
However, as a constitutional monarchy it works reasonably well. The royals provide a tangible link to England's ruling and democratic history, and add some genuine colour and gilt to state ceremonies. If anything the Windsors et al are puppets of the people, and the fact that they can mocked and parodied is a testament to British openness. They are neutral politically and provide a theoretical counterbalance of public opinion.

Sure. But to me, the underlying concept is wrong.