Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Do you care about the British royal family?

Do you care about the British royal family?

Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you care about the British royal family?

Since the name of this website is called British Expats, I'm wondering how many people on here care about the British monarchy. A few years back during that royal wedding, I remembered reading that 80% of Britons don't care about the royal family nor their wedding. I also remembered meeting way too many Canadians (ironically in British Columbia) who obsessed way too much over the monarchy and that wedding. By 'too much', I mean to say that I've actually seen (or heard about) people who practically worshiped the ground that they walked on.

Well, 80% of Britons don't give a flying toss about the royal family according to official statistics. I wonder what percentage of British expats don't. Feel free to give your opinion on the monarchy.

Personally, I'm a republican (not a member of that conservative political party in the US) rather than a proponent of constitutional monarchy. But I'm not too fond of republican presidents like Obama spending 25 times more money (most of which is unrelated to their job) than the entire British royal family combined.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you care about the British royal family?

The Royal family I think is more important here because it's one of the primary differences between Canada and the US. Without the Royal family, Canada would just be a pale imitation of the US and people would bleat on about the healthcare system being super wonderful even more.

I heard William Hague say that Canada and the UK are in a unique position because they're the only two countries in the G7, the Commonwealth and NATO which I had to admit hadn't occurred to me before.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

No British, and no interest in the royal family at all. Although my GF has quite an interest in them, and has traveled to London a couple times, and had some sort of interview for a position in the palace doing something, forget what it was.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for the royal family but I do think it’s a bit much that the Queen keeps 12 corgis. Surely in an age of austerity, when everyone is tightening their belts, she should give eight of them away or have them put down. Nobody needs more than three dogs, not even a queen.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a Brit but I don't care about it at all... I think they should do away with the royal family, I don't see why one specific family gets to have all the riches and palaces etc just because they are descendants of the once rulers of the United Kingdom and Colonies. The UK and C is no more, it is just the UK, which is a developed democratic country with the "royal" family there just being symbolic. It's stupid. People in Malta are obsessed with the royal family, yes more obsessed than people here in Canada. They are just obsessed. When the royal baby was born nobody would shut up about it! I can't see why as in 1974 Malta chose to become a republic! (A decision which I fully support, and i'd rather call home the Republic of Malta then the Dominion of Malta or Kingdom of Malta)

Not bashing on the UK as a country, just the royal family , before you flame me for making comments i'm not entitled to because i'm not British.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
But I'm not too fond of republican presidents like Obama spending 25 times more money (most of which is unrelated to their job) than the entire British royal family combined.
Err, last time I looked, Obama wasn't a republican. Not that its easy to tell, (except, of course, I hear he's not white).

Have you any grounds for your assertion that Obama spends 25 times more money on things unrelated to his job than the entire Royal Family?

Thought not.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Err, last time I looked, Obama wasn't a republican. Not that its easy to tell, (except, of course, I hear he's not white).

Have you any grounds for your assertion that Obama spends 25 times more money on things unrelated to his job than the entire Royal Family?

Thought not.
A bizarre assertion. Maybe he is thinking of campaign donations?
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
A bizarre assertion. Maybe he is thinking of campaign donations?
Even more bizarre when you consider that the Royal Family don't have jobs.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Even more bizarre when you consider that the Royal Family don't have jobs.
Waving
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:58 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Waving
Waving back. Royally or perhaps Presidentially.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:03 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thought not.
I suspect he's a republican but not a Republican or a publican.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Waving back. Royally or perhaps Presidentially.
Waving a baguette.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:10 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

This song always reminds me of the Royal family:

Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:12 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I have read that the US president is expensive, this is top of a quick Google, its the DM, so who knows
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...LION-year.html
Old Apr 11th 2014, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I have read that the US president is expensive, this is top of a quick Google, its the DM, so who knows
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...LION-year.html
Oh maybe BC guy meant that.

Could only read the first couple of paragraphs before the idiotic sidebar got to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.