Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Do strangers touch babies in the UK?

Do strangers touch babies in the UK?

Old Sep 5th 2014, 6:44 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do strangers touch babies in the UK?

Originally Posted by ann m
It's all about money too.

My girls both dance. When they go to competitions, I am not allowed to take photos or videos, even if they are doing a solo. If I am seen with a camera, I will be asked to leave. I kinda get the whole group thing, but I can video these kids rehearsing at their own studio. No one minds.

I cannot video my own child doing a solo, which pisses me off because I see so many others on YouTube so someone, somewhere is allowed to do it. Again, I get the practicalities of the organizers - how do they know which is the parent of which child?

But what really gets me is that I can then walk outside the theatre and I'm allowed to buy photos of my child for $5, $10, $20 a piece from someone who did not have my permission to take photos of my child!

Admittedly, they are usually better quality than mine, but that's not the point!
Couldn't they do their routine in the living room and you film then?
Old Sep 5th 2014, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Canada similar to the US when it comes to photos taken in a public setting where there is no expectation of privacy and no consent is needed?
Old Sep 5th 2014, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

My girls both dance. When they go to competitions, I am not allowed to take photos or videos, even if they are doing a solo. If I am seen with a camera, I will be asked to leave. I kinda get the whole group thing, but I can video these kids rehearsing at their own studio. No one minds.

I cannot video my own child doing a solo, which pisses me off because I see so many others on YouTube so someone, somewhere is allowed to do it. Again, I get the practicalities of the organizers - how do they know which is the parent of which child?

But what really gets me is that I can then walk outside the theatre and I'm allowed to buy photos of my child for $5, $10, $20 a piece from someone who did not have my permission to take photos of my child! Admittedly, they are usually better quality than mine, but that's not the point!
In Alberta, they are not permitted to do that. Sue them
Old Sep 5th 2014, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
No, it is that you have no control over it's use.

Are you arguing for the sake of it? Or have you been uploading pics of other peoples kids to your Facebook without asking?
It's Friday. Something has to keep me sane until it's time to leave the office
Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:07 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It's Friday. Something has to keep me sane until it's time to leave the office
I posted a picture of a woman eating a rather large block of shitty cheese in another thread. I doubt she's happy about her picture being the subject of mockery everywhere it is used on the internet. But that's me being my usual hypocritical self.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I posted a picture of a woman eating a rather large block of shitty cheese in another thread. I doubt she's happy about her picture being the subject of mockery everywhere it is used on the internet. But that's me being my usual hypocritical self.
My apologies. I thought she was your partner, and that you had her consent to post it

I accept you are a hypocrite, as I know that your avatar isn't you.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:49 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

But what really gets me is that I can then walk outside the theatre and I'm allowed to buy photos of my child for $5, $10, $20 a piece from someone who did not have my permission to take photos of my child!

Admittedly, they are usually better quality than mine, but that's not the point!

That's terrible. You should complain to the organisers and maybe enlist support from other parents. Especially in the case of a solo.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
That's terrible. You should complain to the organisers and maybe enlist support from other parents. Especially in the case of a solo.
I believe that her success with that will depend upon the "terms and conditions" that apply to being part of the organization and/or the competition.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 8:18 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that her success with that will depend upon the "terms and conditions" that apply to being part of the organization and/or the competition.
Yes, exactly. Get the terms and conditions changed. A boycott by parents would make the organisers think twice.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I assume the competition organizers are in cahoots with some photographers and they have a nice little deal going on. When our dance studio agrees to send dancers, I assume the studio (on our behalf ) have to sign conditions and agree that all the parents will adhere to them.

I can't be arsed really.....I get some good photos along the way.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 2:36 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

It is not the photos it is the publishing them on the internet or elsewhere.
If you have some spare time, watch this bloke, some of the reactions are hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Surveil...meraMan/videos