Wikiposts

DIY Central Alberta

Old May 30th 2012, 2:41 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default DIY Central Alberta

Is a nightmare.

Now we are either very awkward people or the DIY shops are full of people that do not know what they are doing, I suspect the latter. We have had a few really frustrating situations in the last few months, we are trying to renovate a home, most of it is light renovations but we do need to replace some exterior doors and some windows.

We went to the main DIY stores to try and sort a door out - the door is really quite important as it leaks really bad and has led to rotting wood and (some) subfloor. The door frame is also rotten. We measured the gap, went off to home depot. "Hi, we would like some help with doors please" Told the girl the sizes of the gap, said it was for a back door, and asked what our options would be. The answer was there is nothing that would fit - not even of special order

Can't just get a stock window for the kitchen either - wanted to do the windows next year really.

Shower bases - Totem. Do you sell shower bases?
Yes I'll show you them.
No we want the acrylic ones.
No we only sell the kits.
Well this one says that we can get just the base are there any others? Well that ones got sides.
Oh! While we're here do you sell windows?
Yes, we have these door inserts.
OK, erm do you sell doors for the back door?
No. You need to go to Home Hardware.

We left, there is plainly a display of special order doors and windows at the very front of the store.

Home Depot again. Do you need any help?
Yes can you tell us if we can get this butcher block custom fitted?
Yes you can, you will have to phone the kitchen department and set up an appointment.

Phoned the kitchen department, asked the same question, Oh no we don't custom fit butcher block, it just comes in these two lengths.

Windsor Plywood - Do you sell butcher block work tops? No we don't, (another associate) Yes we do?

Is this the same all over Canada or is it just a Red Deer thing? I remember doing similar DIY in the UK, off you pop to Wicks, get what you want, pop into Homebase, there you go.

We've been told, no we don't sell it, only to find it on the shelf around the corner. It is so frustrating and everywhere sell the same stuff, the same sinks in the four DIY stores, the same vanities, the same door handles, the same windows whats the point of different shops if it's all the same.

Sorry, rant over
Old May 30th 2012, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DIY Central Alberta

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Is a nightmare.

Now we are either very awkward people or the DIY shops are full of people that do not know what they are doing, I suspect the latter. We have had a few really frustrating situations in the last few months, we are trying to renovate a home, most of it is light renovations but we do need to replace some exterior doors and some windows.

We went to the main DIY stores to try and sort a door out - the door is really quite important as it leaks really bad and has led to rotting wood and (some) subfloor. The door frame is also rotten. We measured the gap, went off to home depot. "Hi, we would like some help with doors please" Told the girl the sizes of the gap, said it was for a back door, and asked what our options would be. The answer was there is nothing that would fit - not even of special order

Can't just get a stock window for the kitchen either - wanted to do the windows next year really.

Yes I'll show you them.
Well this one says that we can get just the base are there any others? Well that ones got sides.

We left, there is plainly a display of special order doors and windows at the very front of the store.

Yes you can, you will have to phone the kitchen department and set up an appointment.

Phoned the kitchen department, asked the same question, Oh no we don't custom fit butcher block, it just comes in these two lengths.

Windsor Plywood - Do you sell butcher block work tops? No we don't, (another associate) Yes we do?

Is this the same all over Canada or is it just a Red Deer thing? I remember doing similar DIY in the UK, off you pop to Wicks, get what you want, pop into Homebase, there you go.

We've been told, no we don't sell it, only to find it on the shelf around the corner. It is so frustrating and everywhere sell the same stuff, the same sinks in the four DIY stores, the same vanities, the same door handles, the same windows whats the point of different shops if it's all the same.

Sorry, rant over
I feel your pain. We've struggled to get minor stuff - no-where near on your scale.

Took me about a week to find you know the plastic frosted stuff you put on doors to stop them being see-through... even then they didn't have what I wanted. They were out of the white frosted... so now I have beige frosted! It's to stop the dog being able to see the hares in the back garden. She goes nuts.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:03 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Is a nightmare.

Yes I'll show you them.

Sorry, rant over
Get a man in. Any half-decent handyman will know what can or cannot be done/got, and contractors usually get hefty discounts on stuff. A bloke I knew in Oakville was a decorator. He got me paint from Rona at 40% off.

Contractors can also get special order stuff way faster than mere mortals.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:05 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

That's the other thing, you find the label of what your looking for and then they are out of stock.

At least we now know why people say reno's cost so much - you have to pay someone to do everything and we also know why all the houses are the same inside - it's because that's all you can get, no choice.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Souvy
Get a man in. Any half-decent handyman will know what can or cannot be done/got, and contractors usually get hefty discounts on stuff. A bloke I knew in Oakville was a decorator. He got me paint from Rona at 40% off.

Contractors can also get special order stuff way faster than mere mortals.
We have a contractor now, he also has a discount for Rona, special order doors (not that Rona could help with those) are still four weeks off. We have a window firm (glaziers) coming out to quote tonight, we have surrendered. If you can't get the people in the shops to sort out the special orders what hope does a person have? As for our door, I think we have to make our hole either bigger or smaller, it's gonna have to shrink a bit, it can be done either way but would look better smaller. So stuff we had wanted done before we moved in is just not going to happen. POO!
Old May 30th 2012, 3:18 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Piff Poff,

In my experience the service you get is hit and miss, expecially in HD and Rona. I avoid HD like the plaque, unless I am buying something that I don't need assistance with. I have always found Totem to have the most knowledgeable staff and I can always find someone to speak to. However, I see from your post that you have not had a great experience there.

Just recently, I was looking for a shower door. Went to HD, couldn't find what I was looking for so waited and waited to ask the appropriate person and gave up, after what seemed like an eternity. Normally, I am quite a patient person. I went back to my car and phoned them, still couldn't get to speak to a human being. Phoned Totem, they confirmed they had what I was looking for, so I drove over to their store and was in an out in minutes.

Good luck with your renos.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:18 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

That's the other thing, you find the label of what your looking for and then they are out of stock.

At least we now know why people say reno's cost so much - you have to pay someone to do everything and we also know why all the houses are the same inside - it's because that's all you can get, no choice.
You can always modify stuff. We have an awful lot of cabinetry etc that looks nothing like the way it looked when we bought it.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lf1
Piff Poff,

In my experience the service you get is hit and miss, expecially in HD and Rona. I avoid HD like the plaque, unless I am buying something that I don't need assistance with. I have always found Totem to have the most knowledgeable staff and I can always find someone to speak to. However, I see from your post that you have not had a great experience there.

Just recently, I was looking for a shower door. Went to HD, couldn't find what I was looking for so waited and waited to ask the appropriate person and gave up, after what seemed like an eternity. Normally, I am quite a patient person. I went back to my car and phoned them, still couldn't get to speak to a human being. Phoned Totem, they confirmed they had what I was looking for, so I drove over to their store and was in an out in minutes.

Good luck with your renos.
It seems to me that HD near us only epmployes teenagers who stand there either chatting to each other or are yawning sitting at the tills .

Sorry I know this doesnt help with your reno
Old May 30th 2012, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Is a nightmare.

Yes I'll show you them.

Sorry, rant over
I blame retail staff, you know what they are like
Old May 30th 2012, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

FriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really niceFriendlyManitoba is just really nice

Originally Posted by beautiful050278
It seems to me that HD near us only epmployes teenagers who stand there either chatting to each other or are yawning sitting at the tills .

Sorry I know this doesnt help with your reno
__________________________________________________ _________

Or an old, well intended retired carmudgeon wishing to 'keep busy' in his golden years.

"Can I help you?" (This is a first - no chasing this orange apron down)

"Yes, I'd like to get some standard keys cut, Cliff" (noting Cliff's handwritten name tag)

"Ok, sure thing! Sure hope I have the right ones." (Wipes brow in anticipation)

(Cliff takes forever and so long in matching the key shape, that I decided to park my rear on a stack on wood across from the aisle, as I had to finally sit down to watch the painful process of choosing, cutting, grinding, buffing, re-buffing and having a second gander to see if the keys were similar).

"There you go Ma'am!"

(Cliff painfully wipes his sweaty brow, after all that work in cutting 3 keys)

"Whew!", he exclaims. "I sure hope these work!"

__________________________________________________ ___________

Lol. I am of no help to you either, but had to relay my Cliff story. Haven't seen the old guy around lately. It may have been too much for the poor old guy.

Last edited by FriendlyManitoba; May 30th 2012 at 7:37 am.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

We have a home depot near us and they are immensely helpful

Get asked if we need help the whole time and they are actually quite helpful. Rona is another story and are chronically under staffed here

BUT I booked a kitchen appointment the other day at HD and went through plan with guy. he told me he was leaving in two weeks but would ahve the plan and prcie to me in one week. never did and has now left and he spent so much time slagging off his colleague. So went to other home depot and was quoted an inordinate amount of money for cabinets+ 4K for installation. I should say we have a small kitchen. So now we are "eurostyling' cabinets and buying doors separately which we'll paint.

Windsor plywood have been a little quirky. Went in on a friday the other week , got a quote for bifold doors (we don't want ones with that wood grainy look). Next day OH went in to order and turns out they were in the middle of a two day sale and they were 10% cheaper and they hadn't mentioned it to me! They were due to take a week; after a week I rang and they said not due for another 3 and then 2 days later they arrived!

The thing is in Alberta its not as simple as getting a contractor. No-one in Calgary seems to get out of bed for less than 10K!
Old May 30th 2012, 10:13 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Piff - don't know if it's on any use but I can give you Darcys uncles contact number. We've just had all the windows / doors / siding done and he came out, measured all the holes and deals with Home Depot in Ponoka (and has done for years he's a contractor) HD drove everything out here (further to here from Ponoka then it is RD to Ponoka) for free too.

HD in P town are great to deal with - if you fancy a shopping trip i'll come with ya

I try my best to avoid Home Cheapo and Slowes wherever possible.

(PS he also fitted them too and the cost for all materials and labour was .......... hang on let me find the invoice was $5200. Granted there was an army of us helping out but we had it all done in like 4 days, thats removing old windows / doors - replacing with new plus a french door, all siding / soffit and fascia)

Last edited by mandymoochops; May 30th 2012 at 10:18 am.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:33 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
We have a home depot near us and they are immensely helpful

Get asked if we need help the whole time and they are actually quite helpful.
My experience too. The Home Depots around here seem to employ the older people who know what they are doing in the isles and leave the teenagers on the cash desks. I have frequently sought, and been given, good advice and more than once been told that a $1 widget would do the same job as the tens or hundreds of dollars worth of equipment I was proposing to buy.

I do feel Piff Poff's pain in a way though. Everything comes in a limited number of standard sizes. Great if you have a modern house where you will almost certainly be able to buy something that needs nothing more than shims to make it fit perfectly. More of a problem with older buildings. It is often easier to modify the building.

Fortunately, modifying wood frame buildings is quite easy. Just find someone you don't mind losing as a friend's house to practice on.
Old May 30th 2012, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Hey Piff - don't know if it's on any use but I can give you Darcys uncles contact number. We've just had all the windows / doors / siding done and he came out, measured all the holes and deals with Home Depot in Ponoka (and has done for years he's a contractor) HD drove everything out here (further to here from Ponoka then it is RD to Ponoka) for free too.

HD in P town are great to deal with - if you fancy a shopping trip i'll come with ya

I try my best to avoid Home Cheapo and Slowes wherever possible.

(PS he also fitted them too and the cost for all materials and labour was .......... hang on let me find the invoice was $5200. Granted there was an army of us helping out but we had it all done in like 4 days, thats removing old windows / doors - replacing with new plus a french door, all siding / soffit and fascia)
Thanks Mands. Mr Piff will be talking to our guy again tomorrow about the windows - I'd like to leave most of them until next year, I've had enough now) and try to come to some sort of solution with the leaky door that's got plastic sheeting taped to it, I would like a deck the other side of it before too long
Old May 30th 2012, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
My experience too. The Home Depots around here seem to employ the older people who know what they are doing in the isles and leave the teenagers on the cash desks. I have frequently sought, and been given, good advice and more than once been told that a $1 widget would do the same job as the tens or hundreds of dollars worth of equipment I was proposing to buy.

I do feel Piff Poff's pain in a way though. Everything comes in a limited number of standard sizes. Great if you have a modern house where you will almost certainly be able to buy something that needs nothing more than shims to make it fit perfectly. More of a problem with older buildings. It is often easier to modify the building.

Fortunately, modifying wood frame buildings is quite easy. Just find someone you don't mind losing as a friend's house to practice on.
I think you've got it, it's an older house - some parts are early '70's - the window parts for sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.