Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dips, and sharing spit with strangers

Dips, and sharing spit with strangers

Old Dec 23rd 2007, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dips, and sharing spit with strangers

Its a thing of mine, dips, at a do. Surely they should be:

Select your dipping item, the dipper. You, the dippee, dip the dipper into the dip. The dippee then eats the entire dipper and dipped portion of dip. The dippee then repeats the process with a new dipper.

It should not be:

The dippee selects the dipper then dips the dipper into the dip. The dippee then eats that part of the dipper covered in the the dipped portion of dip. The dippee then dips into the dip with the same dipper, this time with added spit, and eats the that part of the dipper with the dipped portion of dip.

It cant be right can it?

No more big dippers!
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 4:07 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dips, and sharing spit with strangers

Originally Posted by daft batty

It cant be right can it?

No more big dippers!
It's called double dipping!

It may be somewhat discouraged by providing small plates and putting a spoon in the dip. Or just put a discreet sign "no double dippers please!"
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 4:17 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
It's called double dipping!

It may be somewhat discouraged by providing small plates and putting a spoon in the dip. Or just put a discreet sign "no double dippers please!"
Or alternatively by licking your finger and sticking it in said dip whilst proclaiming: "It's all mine now."
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

It should not be:

The dippee selects the dipper then dips the dipper into the dip. The dippee then eats that part of the dipper covered in the the dipped portion of dip. The dippee then dips into the dip with the same dipper, this time with added spit, and eats the that part of the dipper with the dipped portion of dip.

It cant be right can it?

No more big dippers!
Stop being such a big girl's blouse. What's the problem here ?

Do you really think you are likely to "catch" something worth worrying about from the lips/teeth of another ? If so, I take it you demand that your dentist sanitises the scrapers and other equipment that he uses on your teeth because, as far as I know (Biiink will no doubt clarify) they don't.

Personally, I think Western Society has gone "sanitation mad" in most areas of life - a little dirt and grime never hurt anyone - within limits of course
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

(quote) Do you really think you are likely to "catch" something worth worrying about from the lips/teeth of another ? If so, I take it you demand that your dentist sanitises the scrapers and other equipment that he uses on your teeth because, as far as I know (Biiink will no doubt clarify) they don't.

Do I really want to know the answer to this????

Linda
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Stop being such a big girl's blouse. What's the problem here ?

Do you really think you are likely to "catch" something worth worrying about from the lips/teeth of another ? If so, I take it you demand that your dentist sanitises the scrapers and other equipment that he uses on your teeth because, as far as I know (Biiink will no doubt clarify) they don't.

Personally, I think Western Society has gone "sanitation mad" in most areas of life - a little dirt and grime never hurt anyone - within limits of course
Oh good grief, full of the Christmas spirit arent you?

No I havent gone sanitation mad at all, did i mention catching anything? You read that into it and then went off on an agressive reply.
I just dont like the idea of sharing my food with people I dont know. I dont like the idea of being spat on either, is that ok with you?
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

We were never aware of this 'double dipping' phrase till we got here. And I was potentially an offender. I don't really know - but we have had this discussion several times and I have been told in no uncertain terms that it is not acceptable! So it's made me paranoid about my dips !!

Went went to a gathering a few weeks ago. A three-year old took a carrott from the tray, dipped it in some sauce, licked the whole carrot clean, then decided she didn't like it, so left the carrot back in the dip.

I just sniggered - that's kids for you. One couple (who did not have kids) were absolutely horrified. The whole thing made for much amusement (and hence the whole double dipping conversation).

Old Dec 23rd 2007, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the use of smilies and emoticons ... I didn't take AC's reply as aggressive - bit of stirring maybe (note winking smiley) - but not aggressive ....
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ann m
Check out the use of smilies and emoticons ... I didn't take AC's reply as aggressive - bit of stirring maybe (note winking smiley) - but not aggressive ....
I dont think the smilies masked the basic sentiment. We can only wait to see what Almost Canadian says.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

I dont think the smilies masked the basic sentiment. We can only wait to see what Almost Canadian says.
what do you think to the babaganush ( dont think for a moment ive spelt it right) dip its my fave!! hope the name doesnt get peoples minds working over time as to what could be in it, lol
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by walkerv05
what do you think to the babaganush ( dont think for a moment ive spelt it right) dip its my fave!! hope the name doesnt get peoples minds working over time as to what could be in it, lol
oh babaghanoui, gorgeous, aubergines are one of my favourite vegetables.

Have you seen how many calories are in it though?
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

oh babaghanoui, gorgeous, aubergines are one of my favourite vegetables.

Have you seen how many calories are in it though?
yep plus the cracker calories, i tried making my own but just didnt taste the same, will have to wait till im over there for my next top up,
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh good grief, full of the Christmas spirit arent you?

Pot, Kettle, Black

No I havent gone sanitation mad at all, did i mention catching anything? You read that into it and then went off on an agressive reply.

You didn't and I sincerely apologise for any offence caused

I just dont like the idea of sharing my food with people I dont know.
Then don't dip

I dont like the idea of being spat on either, is that ok with you?

I never mentioned being spat on at all

I think if most read our three posts, I doubt very much that I would be the one coming over as aggressive and unfestive

A very Merry Christmas to you and if you don't celebrate that: a very happy festive season; and if that offends you I wish you a very nice weekend
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ann m
You can come to our house and double dip all you want although, I reserve the right to not to eat from it myself until, I've checked the state of your mouth - I'll just have to go and buy one of those dentists' mirror thingies

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Dec 23rd 2007 at 10:13 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

flipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond repute

much the same as eating crisps or peanuts left on the bar in a pub, people go to the loo, dont wash their hands, then take a handfull of nuts. YUK. got to add men are the biggest offenders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.