Dinosaur Needs Help

Old May 22nd 2022, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dinosaur Needs Help

I am posting this as I am in need of help and not embarrassed to ask for help as I might just have helped posters on here myself once or twice.

I have heard Skype video calls are free and my question is can I use Skype from Canada to UK video call only for free? I use an iMac at home and the person I am trying to connect with has I believe an Android tablet. This person has a cell phone and I have a landline. I know if I call the UK cell phone they get billed for the call. So if we both download Skype to our devices are we able to video chat (camera on/off) for free or am I missing something?
Old May 22nd 2022, 3:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dinosaur Needs Help

I have used Skype to make free video calls to the UK (from the US) within the Skype AP (Skype at both ends of the call). It has probably been a couple of years since I made the most recent one, but AFAIK it is still a free service offered by Skype.
Old May 22nd 2022, 10:30 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't used Skype in years but I suspect you're correct, it should be free.

Much of the world has moved on, have you both got Microsoft Teams? That's free to download and use.
Old May 22nd 2022, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Any Skype call to any other Skype User is for free, no matter if it's audio or with video. I've used it for years and love it. It works on MSFT Windows, on Android and iOS, and best of all, you don't have to have your own phone number.

If you want to call a regular phone number with Skype, you have to pay, however the cost is minimal. Also you can call any phone, in any country, even if it's not possible for regular phones.

The only thing you can't call via Skype is emergency services.

I'd also recommend Skype over MSFT Teams, as Teams uses more resources of your PC. that's a bit of a drag, especially if your PC is older.
Old May 22nd 2022, 11:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

Much of the world has moved on
Not my family, they're all What's App users. Skype is too new fangled for them.
Old May 22nd 2022, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I have MS Teams installed on my work laptop but not on my iMac. The other person also has MS teams installed on their work laptop but of course we know using MS Teams on work devices for personal use is frowned upon by our bosses.
I have a landline and I am prepared to pay for calls but the other person has a UK mobile only so my understanding is that they would get billed for any call.
I am simply trying to find a way to actually talk to this person rather than sending emails. Bonus if it is free and I am not bothered if I can see this person on the other end.
Person only has an Android tablet so obviously we need to use a compatible system to communicate.

So which way do you communicate with friends in the UK and do you use a free platform?
Old May 22nd 2022, 1:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Thanks. I have MS Teams installed on my work laptop but not on my iMac. The other person also has MS teams installed on their work laptop but of course we know using MS Teams on work devices for personal use is frowned upon by our bosses.
I have a landline and I am prepared to pay for calls but the other person has a UK mobile only so my understanding is that they would get billed for any call.
I am simply trying to find a way to actually talk to this person rather than sending emails. Bonus if it is free and I am not bothered if I can see this person on the other end.
Person only has an Android tablet so obviously we need to use a compatible system to communicate.

So which way do you communicate with friends in the UK and do you use a free platform?
WhatsApp? Free calls (including video calls), and you can download the WhatsApp app to your iMac - I'd assume the same applies for Android.
Old May 22nd 2022, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
WhatsApp? Free calls (including video calls), and you can download the WhatsApp app to your iMac - I'd assume the same applies for Android.
The problem with WhatsApp is that it's always stubbornly tied to a phone number. Also, you still need a smartphone to have a local installation on your laptop PC, Microsoft or Mac, doesn't matter.

Skype doesn't need any of that.

Especially if you're moving between countries that's an advantage, - one doesn't necessary always need a phone number to connect.
Old May 22nd 2022, 5:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
The problem with WhatsApp is that it's always stubbornly tied to a phone number. Also, you still need a smartphone to have a local installation on your laptop PC, Microsoft or Mac, doesn't matter.

Skype doesn't need any of that.

Especially if you're moving between countries that's an advantage, - one doesn't necessary always need a phone number to connect.
FL asked about other options, I was just suggesting WhatsApp as an alternative. Personally I use WhatsApp a lot anyway for group chats, so find it very handy for speaking to friends abroad at no cost, I often phone them if I'm on a long drive and have a good catch up. I don't have to download an additional app or any other software as I have it already.
Old May 22nd 2022, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

FL asked about other options, I was just suggesting WhatsApp as an alternative. Personally I use WhatsApp a lot anyway for group chats, so find it very handy for speaking to friends abroad at no cost, I often phone them if I'm on a long drive and have a good catch up. I don't have to download an additional app or any other software as I have it already.
Both Skype and What'sApp allow groups or virtual teams to communicate.

I think the matter is that Skype is simply the older product, been around way longer. Meaning it was developed at a time when people didn't have smartphones, hence not the need to provide a phone number. Skype as an app for smartphones was developed later on.

What'sApp is way younger and more "born" out of the "smartphone generation", that's probably why they so stubbornly insist on a phone number even in the event if you want to install it on your PC. What seems to be better at What'sApp is that it's easier to connect to those around you, whilst on Skype you have to do more searching.

However, since What'sApp is always tied to the phone number it makes it hard to change countries. In Skype you just change the settings on your profile to a different country, and you're good to go with your existing account and contacts. This can happen as easy and quickly as you're arriving in a new country, - our you're giving the impression to be still in the other country and keep the settings to that country. I don't think that What'sApp will ever offer this function.
Old May 22nd 2022, 6:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

... find it very handy for speaking to friends abroad at no cost, I often phone them if I'm on a long drive and have a good catch up...
Of course you mean when someone else is driving.
Old May 22nd 2022, 6:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Of course you mean when someone else is driving.
No, me. Hands free though your honour!
Old May 22nd 2022, 7:54 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Both of you could use "Google Chat" and use the video feature. No need to complicate things with phone numbers, just add each other as a Google contact.

https://support.google.com/chat/answ..._topic=7649316

&

https://support.google.com/chat/answ...form%3DAndroid

Old May 23rd 2022, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

Facebook Messenger video calls or phone, WhatsApp, Signal, Duo - all free.
Old May 23rd 2022, 6:02 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

My lot mostly use Facebook Messenger and thrones that don't use Google Chat. This one is great because you can select auto generated subtitles which is really useful for hard of hearing peeps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.