depressing article

Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: depressing article

Originally Posted by dbd33
I had Ipperwash and Oka in mind as examples of the police shooting people (if Ipperwash was the one in Western Ontario recently subject to an inquiry). I cite Caledonia as an example of racial tension in Canada similar to that one might see in the US. Whether or not it'll ultimately become a riot is, as I said "iffy", however since it's a current story (at least it was when I withdrew to the boonies) I thought it a good example of how we're not actually all that much superior up here.
How about that violence in Toronto during the world cup...Portugal vs someone IIRC.

There is no shortage of tension, but the fact that different groups tend to group together in ghettos in Canada (look at the Brit enclave that is Oakville ) rather than mix probably makes it less of a powder keg than the US, where I am sure there is friction between the natives and the police over land claims too. What about the racial makeup of the gangs in toronto who like to spend the evenings shooting each other, Jamaican vs Somali or whatever? Theres a long list here

Its still rather absurd to try and pretend that Canada is markedly different to the US though in any kind of day to day way...unless you are going to the hospital I guess.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 28th 2007 at 2:18 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its still rather absurd to try and pretend that Canada is markedly different to the US though in any kind of day to day way...unless you are going to the hospital I guess.
Quite.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

traceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to all

Hmm, seems I've really started something here. I wasn't trying to "diss" the US or make out that it sucks or is horrendous, or anything. I was just trying to make a point that there is always going to be something about the place you live that doesn't make you happy and makes you yearn for somehwere else/somewhere better. In our case, living in Boston served us well in the short term, but it's not somewhere that I would want to settle or bring up kids, hence the move to vancouver. The major differences we have found between the US and Canada.....

Yes, people in Canada have a lot more guns. The difference seems to be that they use them primarily for shooting animals (not something I am in favor of) rather than for shooting people! Our "neighbourhood" in Boston was rife with gangs (mostly teens and youngsters) who were notorious for shoot outs with other gangs - we got to the point where we didn't even bat an eyelid when we heard about yet another shooting/murder on our street. We didn't go out at night - it just wasn't safe. Here in Vancouver, we live a block away from Hastings and Main (notoriously the poorest neighbourhood in Canada) yet I feel perfectly safe walking around by myself, day or night, and have never been bothered.

Our apartment in Boston was basically someone's basement that was "converted". We had no windows, no heat, no air conditioning, but it did come equipped with it's own skunk in the adjoining part of the basement. For this luxury, we paid $1300 US dollars a month. Why didn't we move? In Boston, there is a shortage of rental accomodation, due to the huge number of students that move in on masse each year. If you are lucky to find a decent enough place, it's usually way out in the suburubs, or insanely expensive. Here in Vancouver. we pay $1600 for a 2 bedroom, furnished place with amazing views and amenities - and we've been told that we are paying too much!

Medical care in the US is just out of control. I had great benefits at my job, whereby myself and husband were covered by medical insurance. I paid a monthly premium of $215 US dollars and my employers paid the rest. For this, we were able to visit a doctor and only pay $10 each time and only $15 each time we needed to fill a perscritpion - and we were LUCKY! Here in Canada, our entire medical costs are covered by our employers, and I haven't had to pay out of pocket once for any of the doctor/midwife visits that I have made (and there have been many).

Lifestyle is vastly different, in my opinion (and I know that I am only comparing 2 cities, not 2 countries here). In Boston, all anyone was concerned about was making money and working. Here in Vancouver, it is far more laid back and relaxed - I am only working one job as opposed to two and we are living very comfortably on that salary. It doesn't feel that we have to "work to live" which was very much the way in Boston.

The US Government (notably Bush)...actually, I won't even get started on that as I don't know enough about Canadian politics at this point. But let's just say, that a big factor in our decision to leave the US was Bush and his thoughts on war and terrorism....

Anyways, as I said earlier, I am not trying to say that the US is a horrible place and that Canada is wonderful. I am saying that life is what you make it and you should make the most of the situation you have rather than always longing for what could be - chances are, you will never find that one, perfect utopia!!

Tracey
Old Mar 28th 2007, 3:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceyparker1
Here in Canada, our entire medical costs are covered by our employers, and I haven't had to pay out of pocket once for any of the doctor/midwife visits that I have made (and there have been many).
That's nice of your employer but doesn't the taxpayer help out a bit?
Old Mar 28th 2007, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

The difference seems to be that they use them primarily for shooting animals (not something I am in favor of) rather than for shooting people!
So do Americans. Very few guns are ever used to shoot a human.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

canuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud of

I can certainly understand having the wobbles (love british slang!) about moving to a new country but do not let that article say you one way or the other!

I have lived in Canada most of my life. I have had excellent medical care, excellent service in stores etc. ( for the most part- there are twits everywhere) and have basically been grateful to live in a country where peace and tolerance are highly valued.

I dismiss that woman's views outright simply based on her observation that Canada is a third world country.
Canada is not perfect but I think that woman's attitude may have something to do with her experiences here thus far.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rgilbert
I don't know if any of you have read the new article on the home page about someone that moved to Canada 5 years ago. I found it really depressing. I know there are quite a lot of negative experiences on this website but this one just got to me. I do like to read the negative experiences along with the positive as I hope it will give more of a balanced view of living/moving to Canada.

How do people that have not yet moved feel about very negative postings?
Don't worry about this. After all - it's not going to stop your move to Canada, is it? You need to find out for yourself. These personal tales are entirely anecdotal, and everyone has a different perspective on matters.

I read the whole piece, and thought it was pretty comprehensive - but it was their experience of Canada, and there is nothing even remotely to suggest that your experience will be like this. Some concrete facts like car insurance and so on can't be avoided, but the other observations and experiences were personal to the poster.

Go west! Make Canada work.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:18 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by canuckgirl
I can certainly understand having the wobbles (love british slang!) about moving to a new country but do not let that article say you one way or the other!

I have lived in Canada most of my life. I have had excellent medical care, excellent service in stores etc. ( for the most part- there are twits everywhere) and have basically been grateful to live in a country where peace and tolerance are highly valued.

I dismiss that woman's views outright simply based on her observation that Canada is a third world country.
Canada is not perfect but I think that woman's attitude may have something to do with her experiences here thus far.
Fantastic hearing a Canadian call someone a 'twit'.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

traceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MarkG
So do Americans. Very few guns are ever used to shoot a human.
Not sure what they are using to shoot people then, but it's definitely happening! This is just in Boston, who knows what the figures are for the entire US!

"The number of shootings in Boston has increased significantly over the last three years, jumping by 77 percent through last week, compared to the same period in 2002, and by 28 percent over the same period a year ago.

Dorchester, Jamaica Plain, Roxbury, and the South End and Back Bay neighborhoods were among the areas with the biggest increases, according to Police Department figures obtained by the Globe through a public records request. There were 279 fatal and nonfatal shootings citywide this year through Oct. 23, compared to 218 in the same period last year and 158 in 2002."
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:20 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MCrocker
Fantastic hearing a Canadian call someone a 'twit'.
Ah, but much more funny when they call them a 'twat' (with all the connotations that word has )
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's nice of your employer but doesn't the taxpayer help out a bit?
Absolutely, but my point is that I paid just as much (if not more) tax in the States, but didn't get as much coverage...
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

yorkshirepud is an unknown quantity at this point

Aaaarghhh!! This article made me so mad:curse:

I can not believe how ridicoulous that article was. I have never heard of such rubbish.
I do believe that we are all entitled to our own opinions ,and it has not all been plain sailing for us either, but to go so far to say Canada is a third world country is nuts. To say it is a very expensive country to live in is also wrong, this person has obviously not been back to England for a while!

As for Canadians working 2 or 3 jobs just to survive!! What a laugh.

This article portrayed Canadians as complete money grabbing uncaring idiots which could not be further than the truth.

I really hope no one out there believes it is like this because it isn't , not by a long shot.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MarkG
If I'm going to be depressed, I might as well be depressed in a country with better scenery .

But then I've always lived on a small fraction of my income and never been much into buying expensive stuff, so a pay cut won't bother me too much.

better scenery? where? lol well not ON the scenry is very bland, sorry to say but true
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
better scenery? where? lol well not ON the scenry is very bland, sorry to say but true
You speak for your own bit of Ontario. You are not going to find mountain vistas, but my bit is nice enough thanks. Given that its bigger than France and Spain combined, there has got to be a few bits of Ontario that are nice to look at.

All of which just goes to illustrate that one persons experience taken in isolation means nothing. Perhaps the article in question was just written as a way of venting frustration, one swallow does not make a summer, so why is there so much interest in this?

If people want to redress the balance then write your own articles about how wonderful life is in Canada, I'm sure Paul will be happy to stick it next to the others. Much as I waste time here, I for one cant be bothered to go to that sort of effort, and besides Im sure someone would come along and criticise it for being unrealistically positive.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 28th 2007 at 5:35 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celine_uk
GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!! What have you just said!!!
You'll beee sssooorrrryyyyy....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.