Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Decent Ordinary Restaurants in Vancouver.

Decent Ordinary Restaurants in Vancouver.

Old Sep 25th 2009, 8:48 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent Ordinary Restaurants in Vancouver.

The last two times we've been to The Keg the food has been far too salty. Mrs. JonboyE sent hers back. I was drinking pints of water for about three hours trying to make the taste of salt go away. We're not going back.

I agree with dboy about Stephos. Just don't eat for a week before you go. The best sushi we have tasted downtown (and Mrs. JonboyE has some expertise about this) is Miko Sushi on Robson.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 8:50 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

White Spot was way better (and cheaper) before they ditched the blue hairs, hired younger staff and gave themselves a fancy redo. It was much more honest before with the tired decor.

It feels now like its trying to be a Earls or something. Time they are a changing, i suppose.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The last two times we've been to The Keg the food has been far too salty. Mrs. JonboyE sent hers back. I was drinking pints of water for about three hours trying to make the taste of salt go away. We're not going back.

I agree with dboy about Stephos. Just don't eat for a week before you go. The best sushi we have tasted downtown (and Mrs. JonboyE has some expertise about this) is Miko Sushi on Robson.
Stephos has to be the best value in Vancouver - perhaps the western hemisphere - for good food. I've been going for about 15 years, it used to be half the size unitl the took over a crap Chinky next door. Still a massive lineup though.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The best sushi we have tasted downtown (and Mrs. JonboyE has some expertise about this) is Miko Sushi on Robson.

My in-laws would agree with you on that one
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:35 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Just been for a rather nice curry on Burrard & Alberni - opposite the Fairmont - first floor - cant remember the name!
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:55 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Whitespot.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
+1

The Keg's too expensive for what they serve up.
Too right. They used to be pretty good about 15 years ago, then the prices jumped for what you get. The very best restaurant I have been to and the only one that has ever impressed me was at the Swiss Hotel in Chicago. Unbelievable portions, steak is served by the half cow, 16oz small, 52oz large!

In Vancouver I am quite partial to the Observatory on Grouse and the Beach House in Dundarave. The Boat House on Beach Avenue is not bad for lunch.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Too right. They used to be pretty good about 15 years ago, then the prices jumped for what you get. The very best restaurant I have been to and the only one that has ever impressed me was at the Swiss Hotel in Chicago. Unbelievable portions, steak is served by the half cow, 16oz small, 52oz large!

In Vancouver I am quite partial to the Observatory on Grouse and the Beach House in Dundarave. The Boat House on Beach Avenue is not bad for lunch.
Now we know why many Yanks look like fat cows! 52 oz - that's just being silly.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:59 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dboy
Now we know why many Yanks look like fat cows! 52 oz - that's just being silly.
Sorry that's not silly, a 3lb 4oz steak it's bloody ridiculous.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 4:02 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
That's a weeks worth of steaks in one meal!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 4:28 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

There was a restaurant in Calgary doing a 52oz, if you could eat it all it was free! Never did try, a buddy did, he could not work and was sick for a week.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 4:47 am

There was a restaurant in Calgary doing a 52oz, if you could eat it all it was free! Never did try, a buddy did, he could not work and was sick for a week.
Serves him right. I try and watch my red meat intake. I have steak about once every other month or so - and usually your typical 12 -14 oz variety. I'm more of a fish and chicken guy these day
Attached Thumbnails Decent Ordinary Restaurants in Vancouver.-fat-bastard.jpg  

Last edited by dboy; Sep 26th 2009 at 5:35 am.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by dboy
Serves him right. I try and watch my red meat intake. I have steak about once every other month or so - and usually your typical 12 -14 oz variety. I'm more of a fish and chicken guy these day
Yep, ended up doing the same, little or no red meat, reduced sugar and no alcohol. I am going to be so lean sometime soon my ky kids won't recognize me.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:52 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

They may possibly still do it. I think there is still on restaurant in town that does it.

Absolutely stupid IMHO.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 5:55 am

They may possibly still do it. I think there is still on restaurant in town that does it.

Absolutely stupid IMHO.
But the world is full of people who do stupid things, like jump out of a a perfectly serviceable aeroplane under an oversized handkerchief, totally nuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.