Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Decent children's shoe shop in Calgary

Decent children's shoe shop in Calgary

Old Apr 7th 2009, 1:56 pm
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of
Default Decent children's shoe shop in Calgary

Hi all, does Calgary have its own version of our good ole Clarks? My daughter has outgrown all her shoes so needs a measure and a new pair (or two).

Thanks in advance.

The Ross Family
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent children's shoe shop in Calgary

Checkmate shoes in Willowpark near South Centre has a Clarks distributor.

There's also one in Dalhousie.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:07 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where people go for decent kids shoes here, I really don't. I have not seen 'proper' shoes for kids in any of the shoe shops, not sure about the department stores though. I'm so glad mine is now a teen so all important bone development in her feet is about done, I'd be having a nightmare here as she was always a nightmare to fit shoes before - one time we came out of our shoe store and went and bought jellies as the sales assistant said - well nothing we have is fitting her, you may as well get some jellies from Woolies and come back in a month or so

Anyhoo - good luck on your search.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

There is a decent kids shoe shop in Market Mall - can't remember the name of it though

Helpful, as usual!

MrsDV
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:27 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Seek out the Shoe chain 'Soft Moc' as they sell Clarkes. According to their website they have two locations in Calgary: http://www.softmoc.com/ca/locations_calg.asp

Prepare to be shocked at the prices. More expensive than the UK!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

I've never had a problem getting decent kids shoes here.The Shoe Company sells Oshkosh and Striderite for little kids - which mine are. Walmart sells Dr Scholl's brand of kids shoes - which are actually great and very good value. Also, can't remember the name of it but there is a kiddies shoe shop in Market Mall...What I have never seen here is Clarke's children's range - a shame as it is great value...BUT...there are others that are as good - in my experience anyway!!Happy shoppingLisa
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Checkmate shoes in Willowpark near South Centre has a Clarks distributor.

There's also one in Dalhousie.
I don't think the one at Willowpark sells kids' shoes though. I haven't seen any childrens' shoes in any of the shops here which sell Clarks shoes, only adult shoes.

I miss Clarks too for their measuring service. I think you can get childrens' feet measured in the department stores - Sears, Bay etc.

We had my older son's feet measured in a sports store in Whitefish, when we went down into the States. The lad who measured them told me the shoes "were fine". When we got home, I realised the shoes were actually three sizes bigger than the ones he had been wearing and were miles too big for him. Needless to say, I don't just take the sales person's word for it now and always check them myself too.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by leepee
I've never had a problem getting decent kids shoes here.The Shoe Company sells Oshkosh and Striderite for little kids - which mine are. Walmart sells Dr Scholl's brand of kids shoes - which are actually great and very good value. Also, can't remember the name of it but there is a kiddies shoe shop in Market Mall...What I have never seen here is Clarke's children's range - a shame as it is great value...BUT...there are others that are as good - in my experience anyway!!Happy shoppingLisa
We have used The Shoe Company too and they do have a decent range of childrens' shoes. There is one of those at Shawnessy so not too far away.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Softmocs is good but I don't think they sell Clarkes kids range....I have been told that Clarkes simply don't bother selling that range abroad??
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

IMO Clarkes are not the best anyhow - not once did my daughter fit the cheaper branded Clarkes - saying that she never ever fitted the mega money Startrite either - always Elefanten and usually only the boots

Softmoc only sell adult shoes. (around here anyway). Just put the little ones in flip flops - loads cheaper
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

I've yet to even find anything to measure my kids feet with!! We just have to try them all on and hope (& trust) that my kids tell me they feel alright.

It was a real bugbear with me when i first came here too but I've come to the conclusion that measuring children's feet correctly is not a big deal here.

They spend 3/4 of the year in snow boots or hockey skates and the other 1/4 in flip flops or sandals. They change into casual indoor plimsoles at school so there just isn't a vast amount of the year when they would wear a proper pair of real leather shoes.

There is a nice shoe shop in Southcentre Mall (Brown's i think) where i bought my son his very first pair of real shoes but they still didn't have a measuring service. They had to hunt around for a measure and then the girl didn't really know what she was doing with it!

I do miss Clarkes but after nearly 3 years here, i don't think my children's feet are suffering!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:01 pm
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

Thanks all, I now have a few places to try.

The Ross Family
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Most Payless Shoes Stores have measuring devices:

as it happens I was at Southcentre this morning and got some trainers for my 3 year old. The nice assistant measured his feet properly and we found a pair of Lightening McQween shoes that fit him for 19.99.

Kids don't seem to wear formal shoes over here.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

The Shoe Company always measure feet - if they don't, just ask...I just never go on Saturday 'cos frankly that is when the 'kids' are working rather than the regular staff!!!
L
Old Apr 7th 2009, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't this just go to show that Brits are being ripped off with the whole "fitting is so important for the development of their feet" debate. I have not seen any Canadians walking around with flippers for feet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.