Deactivating FB

Old Nov 22nd 2018, 3:07 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deactivating FB

I have just done it and it feels really weird. I have been thinking it through for months now and I was almost scared to do it. Now I feel odd, 10 years of wasting my time on in and I think I need a week without it and then I will see.
I am so sick and tired of passive agressive memes. I would actually just love to get rid of most people but that would offend everyone so its easier to just deactivate it all.
Wish me luck. Anyone else done this? How did you get on?
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deactivating FB

It's such a useful tool for me for keeping in touch with friends and family all around the world and seeing what they're up to, how their kids are growing up, etc, that I don't think I could.

But I am quite ruthless, I don't accept many friends requests (my rule is if I wouldn't send them a Christmas card or have a cup of tea with them, they aren't my FB friend!) and the minute anybody puts anything political on their feed (particularly if they support Britain First, Brexit or Trump) I either block their posts (so I don't have to see anything they've posted, but they don't know) or unfriend them.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 3:24 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's such a useful tool for me for keeping in touch with friends and family all around the world and seeing what they're up to, how their kids are growing up, etc, that I don't think I could.

But I am quite ruthless, I don't accept many friends requests (my rule is if I wouldn't send them a Christmas card or have a cup of tea with them, they aren't my FB friend!) and the minute anybody puts anything political on their feed (particularly if they support Britain First, Brexit or Trump) I either block their posts (so I don't have to see anything they've posted, but they don't know) or unfriend them.
Maybe if I return to it I will do that too.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 3:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

When it started up I was on Facebook for 1 day and started getting messages from people I didn't know and shut it down right then.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 4:14 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I deactivated in 2011 and haven't looked back. The first few weeks were hard, and then I discovered reddit.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 4:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

I'm much the same - I have mine locked down so unless I give you a direct link to my FB profile you will never find me. I keep mine very private - I share little, I write and post little; my photos are set to specific people and nobody is allowed to 'tag' me. I don't 'do' friend requests or the suggested 'people you might know' - if a friend has their page set to allow anyone to see their friends or their posts are set to public or 'friends of friends' then I tend to limit any interaction with them down even further... or suggest to them they might want to tighten up their FB preferences for privacy.

I use it mainly to keep in touch with family and friends who are spread throughout the world... it allows me to see glimpses of their lives... and to 'talk' to my sisters in real time via messenger video.

However, if someone hasn't contacted me in more than 2 years I quietly drop them. After the stroke and my birthday came and went without a single comment from a few people, I decided if they didn't care enough to wish me well then I didn't need them around any longer.. and quietly unfriended them.

I tend to unfollow many - particularly those who post endless photos of what they have eaten / cooked complete with the 'oh aren't I amazing' type of comments and the recipe I don't mind once in a while but a couple of family members in the UK were posting every single meal, plus desserts / cakes - every singel day. Too much! Those that share endless stupidities are also unfollowed - why do some people feel that everyone will be interested in 6 memes or 'inspirational quotes' or similar that they saw at 4am which is meaningless to the rest of us?

I do find that FB Purity is very handy for keeping a lot of FB's crap off your page https://www.fbpurity.com/
For anyone who gets messages or requests out of the blue and wants it to stop - it's ALL down to your FB privacy settings

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 22nd 2018 at 4:31 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont even see posts from people on my friends list, I interact with them so infrequently. I see mostly my aquarium groups, and other groups I belong to that migrated away from forums and onto FB.

You can also unfollow people so you dont see their posts but they remain on your list so no weird, why did you remove me questions.

I rarely add anyone to mine, dont add co-workers, dont add managers, dont add random people off the internet etc. I also use a variation of my name but not my real name so unless you know what name I am using, I am hard to find. No picture of me on FB, profile pic is generic. I dont want potential or current employers to have the ability to find me. I dont put in my city location, phone or anything like that.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 22nd 2018 at 4:41 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 5:28 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve unfollowed so many people! Even really good friends because I get tired of the amount that they post.

I’d love to come off FB but my mum uses it to see my photos (she doesn’t have a smart phone otherwise I would send them to her).

i also love some of the history pages on there and some of the articles and one of my recent favourites ‘angry people in newspapers’
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I’ve unfollowed so many people! Even really good friends because I get tired of the amount that they post.

I’d love to come off FB but my mum uses it to see my photos (she doesn’t have a smart phone otherwise I would send them to her).

i also love some of the history pages on there and some of the articles and one of my recent favourites ‘angry people in newspapers’

I find FB was more useful once the "friends" are silenced...lol
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 5:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Never had an account but I saw the occasional page for prospective tenants and I occasionally look up people from my past and their FB pages come up.

The number of 'friends' some people have

Maybe I should sign up for the satisfaction of unfriending people. Take that, moron.

I always enjoyed writing letters and getting them back. So email does that now.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I'm much the same - I have mine locked down so unless I give you a direct link to my FB profile you will never find me. I keep mine very private - I share little, I write and post little; my photos are set to specific people and nobody is allowed to 'tag' me. I don't 'do' friend requests or the suggested 'people you might know' - if a friend has their page set to allow anyone to see their friends or their posts are set to public or 'friends of friends' then I tend to limit any interaction with them down even further... or suggest to them they might want to tighten up their FB preferences for privacy.

I use it mainly to keep in touch with family and friends who are spread throughout the world... it allows me to see glimpses of their lives... and to 'talk' to my sisters in real time via messenger video.

I do find that FB Purity is very handy for keeping a lot of FB's crap off your page https://www.fbpurity.com/
For anyone who gets messages or requests out of the blue and wants it to stop - it's ALL down to your FB privacy settings
This seems like a lot of work etc for a social media site that is supposed to help you keep in contact.

A week or so ago, I was at my footie teams post game debrief (i.e pints at the local pub) and the topic of Facebook came up (after we'd talked about Brexit, Alan Partridge, the ability to start your car in 3rd gear, best method of cross country skiing, best ratio of IBU's to $, why do so many people in Vermont drive Subaru's. Basically of the 12 of us (all over 35) and generally middle class white collar guys with backgrounds from the UK, Canada, Nepal, Italy, and Korea, only one has a Facebook account that he uses. Most found it be too intrusive, and digging up people we'd forgotten about etc. If I haven't thought about a person since high school there was a reason for it.

My wife has an account and she shows me pictures my brother posts etc but to me the signal to noise ratio is too high.

I've purged people from my Linkedin account who post drivel or too much.

I prefer to just send photos and updates via email or via an actual one on one conversation etc to those nearest and dearest rather than the 'look at me, I"m wonderful' persona of most Facebook postings.

The takeup on Facebook by tweens is declining but they are becoming adopters of Snapchat and Twitter which make Facebook look deep.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 7:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
This seems like a lot of work etc for a social media site that is supposed to help you keep in contact.

A week or so ago, I was at my footie teams post game debrief (i.e pints at the local pub) and the topic of Facebook came up (after we'd talked about Brexit, Alan Partridge, the ability to start your car in 3rd gear, best method of cross country skiing, best ratio of IBU's to $, why do so many people in Vermont drive Subaru's. Basically of the 12 of us (all over 35) and generally middle class white collar guys with backgrounds from the UK, Canada, Nepal, Italy, and Korea, only one has a Facebook account that he uses. Most found it be too intrusive, and digging up people we'd forgotten about etc. If I haven't thought about a person since high school there was a reason for it.

My wife has an account and she shows me pictures my brother posts etc but to me the signal to noise ratio is too high.

I've purged people from my Linkedin account who post drivel or too much.

I prefer to just send photos and updates via email or via an actual one on one conversation etc to those nearest and dearest rather than the 'look at me, I"m wonderful' persona of most Facebook postings.

The takeup on Facebook by tweens is declining but they are becoming adopters of Snapchat and Twitter which make Facebook look deep.
Not at all. I work in Social Media - if you know what you are doing it takes a couple of minutes to set up your preferences and privacy settings.. once set, they can be left.

I am 'friends with' and keep in contact with those I wish to have contact with, rather than the hundreds of complete strangers or minor acquaintances that many millennials seem to have as 'friends' on FB - I don't need people to look me up, I'm perfectly content with those I already have

Each to their own. It serves it's purpose for many.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 7:57 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I have just done it and it feels really weird. I have been thinking it through for months now and I was almost scared to do it. Now I feel odd, 10 years of wasting my time on in and I think I need a week without it and then I will see.
I am so sick and tired of passive agressive memes. I would actually just love to get rid of most people but that would offend everyone so its easier to just deactivate it all.
Wish me luck. Anyone else done this? How did you get on?
^^^^^ This 1000x. Did it myself years ago due to the posts seemingly seeking self congratulation and oh poor you, tpogther with you look awesome
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 9:01 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I like FB

i don’t often read or add to my own timeline I mostly use it to see all the grand kid pics and days outcthey have

80% of my Facebook use is local Groups, I am in several groups including an Ajax neighbourhood group, hobby groups, a healtht heart group and others. That’s the way to use the social media thangy
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 9:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I like facebook well enough, I derive mild amusement from it and that's enough for me. I could do without the adverts for neo-fascist groups but, I suppose, it's mildly interesting to see what the cradles are up to. I do find it a bit odd that so many people prepare a post and then put it on both facebook and Instagram, the audience can't be that different and it's twice the faff, but hey-ho, it's a free-ish country they don't try to make me do it.

"Deactivating" seems a bit odd too. If you're not interested just don't go into it. I manage to do that with physical places of worship and websites about trains almost every day without it being worthy of announcement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.