British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The Daily Outrage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/daily-outrage-905924/)

Siouxie Nov 19th 2017 6:06 pm

Re: The Daily Outrage

Not outraged but decidedly p'd off.

Driving to meet a friend for dinner last night, an idiot cut across and in front of us to stop himself running into the car in front, at speed. He forcefully hit our (redneck type) truck pushing us into the central meridian.

Initially we thought there was very little damage, but when we went to pull away it became obvious that there was something wrong with the steering. The hard hit to the central meridian appears to have sheered something (tie rod or similar) as the wheel is completely out of alignment and skew-wiff. (it looks like it's turning left and splayed out)

Luckily it wasn't far to go back so we limped home on the side roads, very slowly, with the truck veering from side to side.

No garages open today so have had to rent a Uhaul (it's cheaper than hiring a car, $99 for 5 days as opposed to $244 for the same for a car) and will try to get it to a local garage in the next day or so. Really hoping it's nothing more serious as it could end up being a write off and a new vehicle wasn't on the financial cards for quite a while yet.

Oh - and the other driver doesn't want to go through insurers!

Partially discharged Nov 19th 2017 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12385471)

Driving to meet a friend for dinner last night, an idiot cut across and in front of us to stop himself running into the car in front, at speed. He forcefully hit our (redneck type) truck pushing us into the central meridian.

Initially we thought there was very little damage, but when we went to pull away it became obvious that there was something wrong with the steering. The hard hit to the central meridian appears to have sheered something (tie rod or similar) as the wheel is completely out of alignment and skew-wiff. (it looks like it's turning left and splayed out)

Luckily it wasn't far to go back so we limped home on the side roads, very slowly, with the truck veering from side to side.

No garages open today so have had to rent a Uhaul (it's cheaper than hiring a car, $99 for 5 days as opposed to $244 for the same for a car) and will try to get it to a local garage in the next day or so. Really hoping it's nothing more serious as it could end up being a write off and a new vehicle wasn't on the financial cards for quite a while yet.

Sorry to hear of this. Do they have insurance? and if so, they've probably got a large premium already.

Years ago I was the victim of a hit and run on the way to Vermont to go skiing in the Adirondacks. The police officer said 'I'm not from here and the odds are the driver had no license, no insurance and was drunk.' Charming. The guy was never caught but the police officer drove me around to some bars looking for a car with dents and paint marks from my car with no luck.

DandNHill Nov 19th 2017 9:13 pm

This summer my son was rear ended. Buddy didn’t want to go through insurance. After a month of giving us the run around we called the insurance and had them deal with it.

Siouxie Nov 19th 2017 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12385564)
Sorry to hear of this. Do they have insurance? and if so, they've probably got a large premium already.

Years ago I was the victim of a hit and run on the way to Vermont to go skiing in the Adirondacks. The police officer said 'I'm not from here and the odds are the driver had no license, no insurance and was drunk.' Charming. The guy was never caught but the police officer drove me around to some bars looking for a car with dents and paint marks from my car with no luck.

Sorry to hear your tale too! He says he has, he's a student .. I suspect this isn't his first accident and he doesn't want the increased premiums.

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 12385570)
This summer my son was rear ended. Buddy didn’t want to go through insurance. After a month of giving us the run around we called the insurance and had them deal with it.

Yes, I think it may come to that too. He's been calling incessantly and offering money, despite being told that until there's an estimate, no settlement figure can be reached. He's being very pushy.

caretaker Nov 19th 2017 9:29 pm

3 Kings brought hash, hard liquor, and cake.

spouse of scouse Nov 19th 2017 9:36 pm

I'm outraged that my Catholic husband wasn't outraged when he saw this, instead of laughing and saying 'brilliant!'.

Being denied the chance to be outraged at him being outraged is outrageous.

BristolUK Nov 19th 2017 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12385581)
3 Kings brought hash, hard liquor, and cake.

One of Private Eye's cards:

BristolUK Dec 7th 2017 12:33 pm

Philip Hammond causes storm with remarks about disabled workers

“It is almost certainly the case that by increasing participation in the workforce, including far higher levels of participation by marginal groups and very high levels of engagement in the workforce, for example of disabled people – something we should be extremely proud of – may have had an impact on overall productivity measurements.”

Anna Bird, the director of policy and research at Scope, said: “These comments are totally unacceptable and derogatory. They fundamentally undermine the government’s policy to get more disabled people into work, and the ambition set out by the prime minister just a week ago.”

bats Dec 7th 2017 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12395378)

Yeah, those disabled people, it just slows you down having to make allowances for them. Ugh, and some of them look a bit funny too, puts you right off.

withabix Dec 7th 2017 7:50 pm

Tough titty.

Not his choice - has he provided his insurance details?

Besides....doesn't your neck hurt? :rofl:

Siouxie Dec 8th 2017 1:45 am

Originally Posted by withabix (Post 12395676)
Tough titty.

Not his choice - has he provided his insurance details?

Besides....doesn't your neck hurt? :rofl:

It all got sorted, thanks :)