Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Daily Mail - interesting article - moving to Canada

Daily Mail - interesting article - moving to Canada

Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:05 am
Just Joined

loulougarthorpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Daily Mail - interesting article - moving to Canada

I saw this on the Daily Mail website. It says Canada is no.6 in the Top 10 Overseas Retirement locations.

Dream retirement destinations: Top ten revealed | Mail Online

There is a good section about 'Tips for Retiring Abroad'. Quite good tips for anyone who is just moving over there...

Ten tips for retiring abroad
1) Get an estimate of your state pension here.
2) Seek independent financial advice before you move.
3) Tell HM Revenue and Customs that you are moving overseas. This allows them to let you know of any UK tax liability you may have even though you are living overseas, and more importantly can allow any UK pension you have to be paid gross (no tax deducted) and taxed in your country of residence – if the country you live in has a double taxation agreement with the UK.
4) Check what reciprocal agreements are in place with the destination country regarding your UK state pension and other social security benefits.
5) Find out about your welfare rights while abroad.
6) Keep an eye on exchange rates.
7) Check the cost of healthcare in the country you are thinking of moving to, and consider some form of medical insurance.
8) If you decide to keep your property in the UK you will need to let your mortgage provider and insurance company know if it will be rented or remain empty.
9) Do your homework on the cost of living in the country you want to move to.
10) Notify utility companies, financial institutions and your local council when you are leaving. Contact the electoral register, and arrange for mail forwarding via the Post Office.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:12 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daily Mail - interesting article - moving to Canada

Originally Posted by loulougarthorpe
I saw this on the Daily Mail website. It says Canada is no.6 in the Top 10 Overseas Retirement locations.

There is a good section about 'Tips for Retiring Abroad'. Quite good tips for anyone who is just moving over there...

3) Tell HM Revenue and Customs that you are moving overseas. This allows them to let you know of any UK tax liability you may have even though you are living overseas, and more importantly can allow any UK pension you have to be paid gross (no tax deducted) and taxed in your country of residence – if the country you live in has a double taxation agreement with the UK.
4) Check what reciprocal agreements are in place with the destination country regarding your UK state pension and other social security benefits.
7) Check the cost of healthcare in the country you are thinking of moving to, and consider some form of medical insurance.
8) If you decide to keep your property in the UK you will need to let your mortgage provider and insurance company know if it will be rented or remain empty.
10) Notify utility companies, financial institutions and your local council when you are leaving. Contact the electoral register, and arrange for mail forwarding via the Post Office.
All good advice, however the bit about pensions being paid gros of tax might be a bit misleading. There are certain governmant pensions, notably civil service pensions that MUST be taxed in the UK, so cannot be paid gross, oherwise everything seems to be as it should.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

No mention of the need for visas...

Do they mean retirement as in a series of holidays so as not to overstay visitor visas?
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:58 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
No mention of the need for visas...

Do they mean retirement as in a series of holidays so as not to overstay visitor visas?
It's a generalised list as it was part of an article on the top 10 overseas retirement locations, so it wasn't Canada specific, it even includes the USA.

Here is the full article..

and no, there is no mention of needing a visa..
Old Aug 5th 2014, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

The survey seems to have asked people where their would like to retire to. So the respondents answering Canada or USA probably haven't considered that they would need a visa to be able to move, they're just at the 'that would be nice!' stage. The Daily Mail checklist should probably have included 'find out if you require a visa to move there' lol
Old Aug 5th 2014, 4:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A visa?
What on earth for?
Surely - Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary - covers such inconveniences.

Old Aug 5th 2014, 4:51 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There are certain governmant pensions, notably civil service pensions that MUST be taxed in the UK, so cannot be paid gross,
I didn't know this. Do you have any background/links?
Old Aug 5th 2014, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Hertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I get a British civil service pension and a British police pension. Both are paid gross.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 7:13 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Spain first? LOL'd
Old Aug 5th 2014, 7:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Spain first? LOL'd
Why? It's sunny, it's in the EU, it's easy to go home for domestic obligations and, if you want them, there are lots of English speakers there.

Canada strikes me as a bizarre choice, presumably people thinking of Canada have relatives there.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 7:22 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
there are lots of English speakers there.
Quite. Not sure I'd be that fussed on retiring to a place full of 50-60 something ex-cab drivers.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

If the natives don't wanna stay here when they retire, shouldn't that set off alarm bells?
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loulougarthorpe

Did they read the wiki I wonder?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...gistics-Canada
Departure To Do List (UK to Canada) : British Expat Wiki
Old Aug 5th 2014, 10:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
... There are certain governmant pensions, notably civil service pensions that MUST be taxed in the UK, so cannot be paid gross....
Originally Posted by JonboyE
Originally Posted by Hertha
I get a British civil service pension and a British police pension. Both are paid gross.
The UK tax office is aware I'm not UK resident - I did the form to get gross interest paid on money in the bank after my house sale.

The department paying my pension informed me that the pension was taxable even though not resident.

However, it doesn't matter as the amount is lower than the personal allowance, so there's no tax anyway.

I also get a small annuity and the tax office has issued two tax codes so that both CS pension and annuity can be paid gross.

Since the tax office knows I'm not UK resident but is still issuing tax codes in this fashion, it does suggest that UK source pension of this type is still subject to UK tax.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 11:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

From the tax treaty (which is superior to national law):

Article 17

1. Pensions arising in a Contracting State and paid to a resident of the other Contracting State who is the beneficial owner thereof shall be taxable only in that other State.

3. For the purposes of this Convention, the term "pension" includes any payment under a superannuation, pension or retirement plan, Armed Forces retirement pay, war veterans pensions and allowances, and any payment under a sickness, accident or disability plan, as well as any payment made under the social security legislation in a Contracting State ...

My bolding. I don't see any exception for a Civil Service pension.

In fact, Article 18 goes on to say:

Government Services

1. (a) Remuneration, other than a pension, paid by a Contracting State or a political subdivision or a local authority thereof to any individual in respect of services rendered to that State or subdivision or local authority thereof shall be taxable only in that State.

If I am mistaken, I was hoping someone would save me some time and effort by directing me to a source.

Last edited by JonboyE; Aug 5th 2014 at 11:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.