Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

daft car buying questions

daft car buying questions

Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all
Default daft car buying questions

just planning way ahead to our arrival schedule (nothing else to do whilst we wait for medicals!)

how long does the car buying process take when buying say a 2 year old from a dealer? can you drive away that day? a week later?

also anyone had dealings with O'Reagans Hyundai in Halifax? what was experience?

what is the process?

sorry if these are basic questions......
Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:10 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: daft car buying questions

In BC you can drive away as soon as all the paperwork is complete. In most cases, under 2hrs.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Danny B
In BC you can drive away as soon as all the paperwork is complete. In most cases, under 2hrs.
thats kind of what we are hoping for in NS.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

In Ontario I believe it all depends on if the MOT office is open to get the transfer of ownership. That could mean if you bought on a Saturday you might have to wait till Monday.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 9:06 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty much the same in Nova Scotia. The dealer can issue a temporary plate and will do the paper work for you.
O'Reagans is one of the major dealers in Halifax. They have several franchises and would doubtless be able to have you on your way in no time.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

We purchased from Hyundai in Vancouver and could have driven it away that day, but we had to get a draft from the bank, and it was the end of the day, and a Friday.
So the Monday morning we went to HSBC, got a draft instantly, drove to garage and drove away with new car.

The guy was there from Autoplan to sort insurance out at same time. Critical piece of info...take your no claims evidence (if you have no claims) with you, in the wiki on here it tells you the format, as you can get discount. I had 9 years protected no claims from UK and got 43% off. Cost of insurance for a year with the discount was still a whopping $2800 for the year.....ouch!!!!!!! Oh we paid a bit more than average because we paid a one off policy to replace the car with market value if it was written off in the next two years (minus depreciation)...or something like that. Am assured it goes down by a big jump next year

Last edited by ducktastic; Dec 13th 2010 at 3:41 am. Reason: get my facts straight
Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:36 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Absolutely true, but I don't think it's sensible to. Take your time, test drive several alternatives, don't be pressured into doing a deal that day. If you don make a decision I'd suggest arranging pick up a day or 2 later, then the stealership won't rush the PDI, or have you waiting hours for the insurance guy, or the finance guy, or the licencing process.

Avoid buyers remorse by taking your time and not trying to do everything in a couple of hours.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

We contacted O'Reagans Hyundai in Halifax who have been very helpful.
temp plates can be organised by them for our new car, they have advised that we would be best to allow around 3 days to get everything organised.
so we will hire a car on arrival whilst choosing our new vehicle and looking at prospective property close-up.

O'Reagans couldnt have been more helpful ;-)
Old Dec 18th 2010, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heading-west
We contacted O'Reagans Hyundai in Halifax who have been very helpful.
temp plates can be organised by them for our new car, they have advised that we would be best to allow around 3 days to get everything organised.
so we will hire a car on arrival whilst choosing our new vehicle and looking at prospective property close-up.

O'Reagans couldnt have been more helpful ;-)
We found this with Destination Hyundai in Vancouver...they were a refreshing change from the usual car dealerships
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

kiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant future

Second hand cars are quite expensive here.
Check the new price it wont be a lot more, do remember to add 15% tax HST (also on used cars).
If looking at new try outside the HRM as Orgeagans and Steele have a bit of a monopoly here, or is it a cartel? Anyway they make you pay.
Another thought find out about warranty as even with dealers it is buyer beware. Its like buying privet but at a higher price
Old Jan 10th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably as most people have no credit history you have to pay insurance upfront?

Are credit cards accepted for insurance?

TIA guys!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:55 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Presumably as most people have no credit history you have to pay insurance upfront?

Are credit cards accepted for insurance?

TIA guys!
Car insurance can be paid by installments (Although there might be a % added onto the price for this). Credit cards can be used to pay either the installments or full price.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Car insurance can be paid by installments (Although there might be a % added onto the price for this). Credit cards can be used to pay either the installments or full price.
Sorry, I should've been more specific. I'm hoping to be in Canada in July. I'll be buying a car very early on and was expecting to have to pay the whole lot up front as I was expecting to not get credit to pay for the insurance via installments. Persumably because I don't have any credit history in Canada, this'll be the only way to do it?

Thanks!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 12:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
Sorry, I should've been more specific. I'm hoping to be in Canada in July. I'll be buying a car very early on and was expecting to have to pay the whole lot up front as I was expecting to not get credit to pay for the insurance via installments. Persumably because I don't have any credit history in Canada, this'll be the only way to do it?

Thanks!
Well, if you have a credit card, you can use that to pay installments which gets around the problem. Assuming you have a credit card of course.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Well, if you have a credit card, you can use that to pay installments which gets around the problem. Assuming you have a credit card of course.
I surely do.

Thanks for the replies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.