daddy long legs

Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:37 am
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: daddy long legs

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Only if you get the trajectory right.
That was bad ......... I had to read it three times before I got it!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:11 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thank god, thought I was the only one being invaded every night by (minimum) 5 daddy (jenny) long legs. Bugs scare the p*** out of me in general, especially the corking HUGE spiders that have been invading our house of late

As for those fruit flies or midges or whatever they are, not scared of them but hate 'em! I know what you h_henry means, they always seem to find my wine glass & then have the nerve to take a dip in my chardonay without permission!
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:20 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Not a Daddy Longlegs, but in the last few weeks we've had loads of these Black Widows hanging (arf) around outside our house.
Sorry for the bad photo, but I didn't want to get too close to it

Daddy Longlegs are known as Pholcus Phalangioides in Bristol
Aren't they supposed to be the most poisoness creature in the world?
Attached Thumbnails daddy long legs-black-widow.jpg  
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:23 pm
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bleech
Not a Daddy Longlegs, but in the last few weeks we've had loads of these Black Widows hanging (arf) around outside our house.

Spiders and bugs don't bother me too much, but that looks horrible!!

Did you mean that Daddy longlegs are poisonous or poisonless?........
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:30 pm

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IceMaiden
Spiders and bugs don't bother me too much, but that looks horrible!!

Did you mean that Daddy longlegs are poisonous or poisonless?........
Errr umm I meant poisoness, it's like poisonous, but worse
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:53 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Yech.. think you got the poisonessess mixed up, thought Black Widows are the poisonessest spiders in North America, only out-done by the Australian Redback (are they called red-back??) ugh ugh ugh, spiders are the most hideous creatures God (or whoever created this place) ever thought up! <insert puky smiley here>

P.S English teachers please do not read this thread
Old Sep 21st 2006, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Daedra
Yech.. think you got the poisonessess mixed up, thought Black Widows are the poisonessest spiders in North America, only out-done by the Australian Redback (are they called red-back??) ugh ugh ugh, spiders are the most hideous creatures God (or whoever created this place) ever thought up! <insert puky smiley here>

In the Okanagan we have to watch out for the Brown Recluse or Hobo (arf) spider. When it bites you it infects you with a sort of skin eating desease, not nice. I was going to post some pictures, but they're pretty grim, open at your own risk

http://thefuntimesguide.com/movablet...wnrecluse.html
Old Sep 21st 2006, 1:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It that the bug that we call a thousand legger here in the NE of the US?

Originally Posted by dentaltech
am i the only one or have hundreds of daddy long legs invaded your home in the uk.

it is driving me mad
Old Sep 21st 2006, 1:36 pm
Senile Member

In the Okanagan we have to watch out for the Brown Recluse or Hobo (arf) spider. When it bites you it infects you with a sort of skin eating desease, not nice. I was going to post some pictures, but they're pretty grim, open at your own risk

http://thefuntimesguide.com/movablet...wnrecluse.html
:scared: I'm gonna have nightmares about spiders biting me & my body parts falling off... ick! Why'd I look?! *lol*

Last edited by Daedra; Sep 21st 2006 at 1:51 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 1:48 pm
Senile Member

Not sure Rete, I always called them Daddy Long Legs in Canada too... here's a photo of the CA equivalent... they are technically "Crane Flies" but still look like horribly big clumsy flying spiders to me and they always come straight at me (but as you may have guessed, I'm a bit of an archnophobe ) attaching photo of Canadian version.

Found this article on the web, seems there is a population explosion in the UK of the little critters:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...nclimate20.xml
Attached Thumbnails daddy long legs-adult.jpg  
Old Sep 21st 2006, 2:03 pm
End of the line

:scared: I'm gonna have nightmares about spiders biting me & my body parts falling off... ick! Why'd I look?! *lol*

I didn't look! I'm not an arachnophobe but......... I want to be able to sleep at night
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

That's a myth I'm afraid.
It refers to the harvestman, a spider-like creepy-crawly with long dangly legs and a small body which are known as "daddy-long-legs" in North America.

Check out THIS link for more info.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

At brunch with our Australian next door neighbours t'other day we got talking about things that can kill you (& really the lack of them in NL) and Tony said, 'Oh we found a redback spider in some of our garden furniture we brought over from Oz'....fortunately in response to our concerned/incredulous/petrified looks as we contemplated a plague of deadly spiders invading our rocky and pleasant island....he continued 'it was very dead!' Phew!
Old Sep 21st 2006, 6:41 pm
Senile Member

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
At brunch with our Australian next door neighbours t'other day we got talking about things that can kill you (& really the lack of them in NL) and Tony said, 'Oh we found a redback spider in some of our garden furniture we brought over from Oz'....fortunately in response to our concerned/incredulous/petrified looks as we contemplated a plague of deadly spiders invading our rocky and pleasant island....he continued 'it was very dead!' Phew!
*LOL* I'm glad THAT had a happy ending... tell the truth, I've been getting heeby jeebies all afternoon feeling like something creepy crawly is on me... gonna have a (too bad they dont have one of white wine!) and chill myself out
Old Sep 21st 2006, 8:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure Rete, I always called them Daddy Long Legs in Canada too... here's a photo of the CA equivalent... they are technically "Crane Flies" but still look like horribly big clumsy flying spiders to me and they always come straight at me (but as you may have guessed, I'm a bit of an archnophobe ) attaching photo of Canadian version.

Found this article on the web, seems there is a population explosion in the UK of the little critters:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...nclimate20.xml

I call that a Daddy Long Legs too. My husband...who is also a Brit...says Daddy Long Legs are spiders...the ones with the tiny bodies and loooooong legs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.