D - Day June 6 1944

Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute
Default D - Day June 6 1944

Are there any other old timers who remember this day? I was 10 yrs old and remember coming home from school and listening to the BBC at 6 p.m and heard of the horrific casualties on both sides.
A neighbour had a son who was there and they eventually received a telegram indicating that he was missing in action;- presumed dead His mother would not accept this and for years went down to the railway station to meet every train coming in from the south; we lived in the NE.. Sadly to say, he never returned, like so many others.

My father had volunteered for the Merchant Marines, but was rejected because his job was essential to the war effort.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:31 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D - Day June 6 1944

Originally Posted by Largo
Are there any other old timers who remember this day? I was 10 yrs old and remember coming home from school and listening to the BBC at 6 p.m and heard of the horrific casualties on both sides.
A neighbour had a son who was there and they eventually received a telegram indicating that he was missing in action;- presumed dead His mother would not accept this and for years went down to the railway station to meet every train coming in from the south; we lived in the NE.. Sadly to say, he never returned, like so many others.

My father had volunteered for the Merchant Marines, but was rejected because his job was essential to the war effort.
I'm not old enough to remember it first hand, a mere 61, but my wife's family has a summer house on Omaha Beach, which we've visited almost every summer since 1970. We will retire to another place about 20 km from there which was also severely affected by those events.

I'm well aware of what went down that day.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 7th 2011 at 1:33 am.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:38 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This is Omaha.
Attached Thumbnails D - Day June 6 1944-img_0501.jpg  
Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Looks so calm and peaceful now. What a change this must have been.

If I remember correctly, Omaha Beach was defended by the U.S. , Juno Beach by the Canadians, and Sword Beach by the Brits as well as Gold Beach , the latter, specifically by the 50 th. Northumbrian Division, to which my neighbour's son belonged

Last edited by Largo; Jun 7th 2011 at 2:16 am.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:20 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

May 28/29 was the 29th anniversary of the battle of Goose Green. Hard to believe it was nearly 30 years ago, it seems like yesterday. Casualties much lower than the Normandy beach landings, but equally devastating for the families.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:23 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't quite 2 years old when D-Day took place. My father was in the Sicily landings in 1943, continuing up the Italian mainland and was killed at The Battle of Monte Cassino in 1944. I never met him.
On days like today I think of him and the millions of other young men killed during that time.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:14 am
recycled member

peas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond reputepeas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I wasn't quite 2 years old when D-Day took place. My father was in the Sicily landings in 1943, continuing up the Italian mainland and was killed at The Battle of Monte Cassino in 1944. I never met him.
On days like today I think of him and the millions of other young men killed during that time.
That is so very sad, Auld Yin.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peas
That is so very sad, Auld Yin.
I too,sympathize .

I am very sad that so few people recognize the importance of this event.

Had this not happened , do you know where you would might have been now?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:27 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I am also (far) too young to remember the war. However, I have been to most of the beaches, the battle sites, and the cemeteries in Normandy.

It is very sobering. So many young lives lost. You can't help but think we have learned very little from it.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am also (far) too young to remember the war. However, I have been to most of the beaches, the battle sites, and the cemeteries in Normandy.

It is very sobering. So many young lives lost. You can't help but think we have learned very little from it.
Agreed, when will we ever learn ?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute

I visited Omaha beach about 5 years ago, the atmosphere as one neared the beach was almost tangible. Such great sadness at the loss of many, many lives. One of my favourite songs is "The fields of France" where young Willy MacBrides grave is visited, the song encapsuales the dedication, bravery and purpose of so many, and yet also the futility of each war. As Joan Baez sings "When will we ever Learn, when will we ever learn?"
I will remember, and I will teach my children also to remember..
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:32 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Largo
Looks so calm and peaceful now. What a change this must have been.

If I remember correctly, Omaha Beach was defended by the U.S. , Juno Beach by the Canadians, and Sword Beach by the Brits as well as Gold Beach , the latter, specifically by the 50 th. Northumbrian Division, to which my neighbour's son belonged
The yanks Attacked the beach the Gerries were the defenders
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
The yanks Attacked the beach the Gerries were the defenders

I think we got that.....

Last edited by macadian; Jun 7th 2011 at 12:38 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:19 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
I think we got that.....
pity the op didn't know that
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:44 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Aww that is so sad.

My dad was wounded in the war. He never, ever spoke about it, until about five years before he died, when he started to talk about it almost daily, what played on his mind was the men he had shot during his time in France. He was really affected by it.

Its all so sad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.