Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Crossing US border - auto/health insurance cover ?

Crossing US border - auto/health insurance cover ?

Old Oct 17th 2010, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future
Default Crossing US border - auto/health insurance cover ?

Hi

how does this work when you cross for a day trip as against a proper holiday ?

if you plan to travel regularly do you need one of those "all year travel policies" to cover such trips ?

with the best will in the world accidents can happen so best to know the coverage issues
Old Oct 17th 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing US border - auto/health insurance cover ?

Some Provinces do provide limited coverage such as NS when you cross the US border, NB for instance...this is not so.

Here is a link to check provincial coverage:

http://www.healthquotes.ca/MSI-Nova-Scotia.aspx
Old Oct 17th 2010, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Neidpath is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 2008orbust
Hi

how does this work when you cross for a day trip as against a proper holiday ?

if you plan to travel regularly do you need one of those "all year travel policies" to cover such trips ?

with the best will in the world accidents can happen so best to know the coverage issues
I live in South West Ontario so travel across to Michigan frequently. I have a yearly medical only travel insurance policy, just recently renewed ( I think it was around $90 for the year) which covers both me and my husband. I use the website www.insuremytrip.ca. My auto insurance also covers me in the USA - I think that may be standard ( but not sure!)
Old Oct 17th 2010, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future

great answers - i'm thinking of Ontario

thanks for the info

i'll check the US cover with the Auto insurance
Old Oct 17th 2010, 3:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In BC our auto insurance is also valid in the US so no extra is needed. BCAA coverage is also good down south.

Provincial health insurance is also valid in the US but only up to the limit of costs in BC. So, if the MSP will pay a hospital in BC $1,000 to set a broken leg then this is all they will pay a US hospital. As most US hospitals charge waaaay more you are left with a bill for the balance.

Medical only travel insurance is not expensive. You would be foolish to cross the border without it.

Edited to add: most company extended health a benefit schemes include out of province medical cover so this is worth checking.

Last edited by JonboyE; Oct 17th 2010 at 4:06 pm.