Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Crossing border from US to Canada - COVID test

Crossing border from US to Canada - COVID test

Old Mar 6th 2022, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Lappy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Crossing border from US to Canada - COVID test

Hi. Can any of you lovely people help me with a travel question please?

I am a Canadian citizen currently living in the Uk and have booked a vacation to the US and Canada. I will be flying into Atlanta (having taken a PCR approved test the day before the flight) and then flying to Seattle 4 days later. I will then be driving into Vancouver, Canada.

My question is, where is the best place to get tested to be able to cross the border into Canada?

I’ve been looking online for the answer, but it’s a bit confusing!

would appreciate any help and advice ❤️
Old Mar 6th 2022, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crossing border from US to Canada - COVID test

I’m driving into the US tomorrow and back on Wednesday- I’ve booked a free Rapid ID test (NAAT) at a Walgreens tomorrow afternoon on the way south - this is good for 72 hours so will be fine for my return on Wednesday. I’ve gone through this process twice before - has taken between 30 minutes and 2 hours to receive the results back ( they state up to 24 hours) which I’ve then entered into the ArriveCAN app. Molecular tests such as NAAT or PCR must be done within 72 hours of flight or land entry, but antigen, which is now acceptable has a shorter acceptable timescale - the previous day or day of travel.
I notice you say you have a PCR test booked? I’ve only ever had an antigen test to enter the US which is cheaper and meets the requirements (unless It’s state dependent?)

Last edited by Twitcher1958; Mar 6th 2022 at 1:38 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2022, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! We have an online test booked here on the UK which will get us into the US. It’s just an antigen test I think (the nasal swab one) which you carry out online and they send you the results immediately via email. We used this last year to get to Vegas and it worked well.

After an internal flight we need to cross the land border to Canada. So, if we pop into a Walgreens we can get the test for free? How do they send the results?

Old Mar 6th 2022, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lappy
Thanks! We have an online test booked here on the UK which will get us into the US. It’s just an antigen test I think (the nasal swab one) which you carry out online and they send you the results immediately via email. We used this last year to get to Vegas and it worked well.

After an internal flight we need to cross the land border to Canada. So, if we pop into a Walgreens we can get the test for free? How do they send the results?
You'll need to book an appointment - in my experience it varies from 3-7 days before when booking opens for a particular day. Look at Walgreens Covid testing - you’re looking for locations that do the Rapid ID NAAT tests, marked in red on their map - just put in the location you’ll be and it will present you with a selection local to there. Use your US hotel address. You’ll get a confirmation to the email address you provide and that’s where the results are sent also.

My advice would be to check now as to how far in advance you can book so you’re prepared on the day itself and know what to do. This test result is only valid for 72 hours before crossing the border.
Old Mar 6th 2022, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! I just looked on the Walgreens website and it look like there are plenty of options in Seattle. It looks like we will have to pay $129 for each test, as we are not US citizens. They are booking a week or so ahead at the moment, so will leave it until we can book with them. Thanks again you have been very helpful 👍

Old Mar 6th 2022, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you! I just looked on the Walgreens website and it look like there are plenty of options in Seattle. It looks like we will have to pay $129 for each test, as we are not US citizens. They are booking a week or so ahead at the moment, so will leave it until we can book with them. Thanks again you have been very helpful 👍
I’m not a US citizen either and I’ve never paid. Let me have a check at Seattle
Old Mar 6th 2022, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I’ve just looked at the Walgreens site, put in Seattle in the ‘showing services near’ box and ticking red Rapid Diagnostic Test. If I then select one of the locations below that, I have to tick another Rapid Diagnostic test and it gives me appointment time. Click on one then it takes me to Terms and Conditions - tick - then personal details.
Nowhere am I asked about being a US citizen.
Old Mar 6th 2022, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Sounds good and will give it a go. Thanks so much 👍
Old Mar 6th 2022, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sounds good and will give it a go. Thanks so much 👍
Were you looking at a different site?
Old Mar 6th 2022, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

I was looking at the same site, but I looked under the ‘FAQs’ about pricing and saw this…
  • Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW, results in less than 24 hours): $129
Old Mar 6th 2022, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was looking at the same site, but I looked under the ‘FAQs’ about pricing and saw this…
  • Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW, results in less than 24 hours): $129
I’ve never noticed that but wasn’t asked for payment in October or January. On the first page, it just mentions the test being drive-thru and free for ages 3+.
Old Mar 6th 2022, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

That was lucky! I suppose I will find out when I get there 🤣
Old Mar 6th 2022, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

The NAAT has both cost and time benefits - it’s free but can be done up to 72 hours before your flight or crossing the border. So you can get it done early, then enter your (hopefully) negative test into the app and relax for the rest of your time away.
Old Mar 7th 2022, 4:29 pm
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute

That was lucky! I suppose I will find out when I get there 🤣
Anticipating a transit myself later this month, checked with Walgreens in Bellingham yesterday who told me that they were currently out of test kits so might be worth a phone call before you rely on a particular pharmacy - also to make sure they will provide the test as their web site indicates you need to be a US Citizen etc.
Do let the forum know how it works out and which pharmacy you used.
Old Mar 7th 2022, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

You can make an appointment online at your chosen Walgreens so that is guaranteed. I don’t think you have to be a US citizen to use the service, you just need to pay $129 per person for the test and then upload the result into ArriveCAN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.