Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Crap thread, just really excited!!!!!

Crap thread, just really excited!!!!!

Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:00 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crap thread, just really excited!!!!!

Aside from RICH's reommendation, have just spoken to a friend who has one for her Husky - she said it took no longer then a week to train him using one of those things - although it's the one where you run a wire below ground, same principle though.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 4:11 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Been thinking of getting a zapper if we end up moving out to Alix, chows are the same as Pyr's though, as in I want it, I'll get it, even if I get zapped to get it, but again some folks have success.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 10:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a dog zapper but have never been able to bring myself to zap the dog. (Nor the children). My understanding of the invisible fences is that they work alright day-to-day but, as mentioned above, if the dog is excited enough it will run through the fence and then it's a bother to get it back. The moment when the dog is excited is likely the moment you least want it to escape so I think the idea's an expensive non-starter.

I note the idea of getting a donkey instead and am reminded that they're brilliant escape artists. One day the neighbour jumped in his truck and gave chase to the escaped donkey. Not having thought to grab a halter he had to improvise, using a chain that was in the truck as a lead and his belt as a collar. A man looks quite ridiculous with one hand holding a chain to a donkey and the other holding his trousers up.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 12:17 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Just down the road from here, there's a guy who owns a zebra.

He told me that he really doesn't trust it (it's kept in a cage) and that, given the chance, "it'd kill" him with ease. He also went on to say that, a couple of years ago, it escaped and he had to chase/track it using his truck and wits. Apparently during the chase it jumped from a bridge down "a good few feet" into a stream without sustaining any injuries. On foot he tracked the zebra up the river. He paused his story to point out to me that he, himself, "always looks like he's just had at least 6 beers". Then he went on to explain that he had to ask a couple, fishing, "have you seen a zebra run by?"

He did eventually manage to catch it, I think armed with a vet with a tranquillizer gun.

Back on thread, so far so good with our dog and her zapper. She just gets the occasional buzz and we're certain it's been way more beneficial than harmful...

Originally Posted by dbd33
I note the idea of getting a donkey instead and am reminded that they're brilliant escape artists. One day the neighbour jumped in his truck and gave chase to the escaped donkey. Not having thought to grab a halter he had to improvise, using a chain that was in the truck as a lead and his belt as a collar. A man looks quite ridiculous with one hand holding a chain to a donkey and the other holding his trousers up.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:35 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Er, when you get the sheep, won't the Pyr be in the same field as the sheep?? Our friends have 3 who live with the sheep. Your problem could be keeping Cash away from the sheep if he wants to be with Duke all the time.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:40 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

by the time the sheep get here the gates will be secured so he can't get in there (and nor can the coyotes!)
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
by the time the sheep get here the gates will be secured so he can't get in there (and nor can the coyotes!)
How big are those gates going to be then??
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:40 pm
Sawdust making harpy

They are the 5 bar gates and I think each one of the psir is 8ft long.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
They are the 5 bar gates and I think each one of the psir is 8ft long.
Sorry I missed the post about Cash going missing and returning Duke. I suppose you've thought of getting Duke back when you have the sheep and him living in the field with them. From what I've seen around here those gates might keep Cash out but not the coyotes. So I suppose it's figuring out how to keep Cash away.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Sorry I missed the post about Cash going missing and returning Duke. I suppose you've thought of getting Duke back when you have the sheep and him living in the field with them. From what I've seen around here those gates might keep Cash out but not the coyotes. So I suppose it's figuring out how to keep Cash away.
Our Springer (who looks a lot like yours by the way!) responds really well to the radio fence (or zapping collar as it is known in the family). Perhaps you could let Duke roam free and just contain Cash with the collar. Spaniels are particularly responsive because they are complete wimps - ours weighs in excess of 65lbs and the max we have ever set the collar for is for an 8lb dog. Mostly we just set it to beep - but after a very short time he got to know where his boundaries are.