Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Could you survive on ?????? in the U.K.

Could you survive on ?????? in the U.K.

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:55 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Could you survive on ?????? in the U.K.

This is nothing to do with immigration but was curious to know the answer to this question....

This question is asked a lot in regards to living in Canada but I wondered what the answer would be in reverse.

The question is if you were living in the U.K. on £1900 a month could you survive?

This is what me and my partner earn together a month, we don't have kids, but we do have a mortgage which is £600 per month (one bed flat), and obviously including car, council tax, bills etc....

I am just being curious

OC

I didnt want this here I wanted it the maple leaf how do you move it, help

Last edited by or4ngecrush; Aug 23rd 2007 at 8:02 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:11 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could you survive on ?????? in the U.K.

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Your wish is my command
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sue
Your wish is my command
he he cheers xxxx

I love wishes
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

This is nothing to do with immigration but was curious to know the answer to this question....

This question is asked a lot in regards to living in Canada but I wondered what the answer would be in reverse.

The question is if you were living in the U.K. on £1900 a month could you survive?

This is what me and my partner earn together a month, we don't have kids, but we do have a mortgage which is £600 per month (one bed flat), and obviously including car, council tax, bills etc....

I am just being curious

OC

only just,
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

I am just being curious

OC

Um, I know you live in Edinburgh so you might want to indicate how much Council Tax/water is up here! Because that would be a big chunk of your disposable income.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Beebop
Um, I know you live in Edinburgh so you might want to indicate how much Council Tax/water is up here! Because that would be a big chunk of your disposable income.
Council Tax £120 per month

and car parking (which I don't pay now but look like I may have to soon) as they keep extending zones

Peripheral and Extension area - zones 5 to 8 and S1-S4 and N1 to N5:

* £80 for 12 months
* £41 for 6 months
* £21 for 3 months.

Last edited by or4ngecrush; Aug 23rd 2007 at 8:20 pm. Reason: adding parking prices
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:22 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

You could send one of the moderators, such as Biiiiink, a private message and ask them to move the thread for you.

In my overzealous desire to help you, I clicked on the "Report This Thread" button (the exclamation mark near the bottom left hand corner of the screen, next to the Karma button).

When you click that button, it brings up a text box in which you can explain to the mods why you want them to attend to a particular thread.

I had already clicked the "Send" button, and it was too late to retract my action, when I noticed a warning that the "Report This Thread" feature was to be used only to alert mods to offensive threads, spam, etc.

Anyway, my mistake notwithstanding, the mods will be notified that there is something fishy about your thread. When one of them gets a chance, I'm sure they'll investigate, see my request, and move your thread.

Sorry, since I have never lived in the UK, I cannot contribute usefully to the fundamental topic of your post.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Pre tax or take home?
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:23 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I used to only get 800 pounds take home a month, out of that 435 pounds went to childcare, I had help with the rent and and council tax but I still had to pay a portion towards it and then the new family credit came out which made life a little easier (about ten pounds a month). The worst months were school holiday months when I had to pay 150 pounds a week for child care. I think you can survive on whatever you get, the luxuries just get fewer.

My Mum used to save her leftovers up for us, so when we went to visit we had ready meals to bring home, that really helped some weeks.

When my now hubby moved in with us the 1st thing he did was go and buy a new telly - mine was a bit ancient but it was colour He went into the 1st shop, saw what he wanted and bought it - he spent 1000.00 pounds just like that, I had to go out the shop and sit down I felt so sick and worried about the amount of money he spent 'just like that'.

I'm still conservative with money and try not to think about his spending habits but we do ok and only use the credit cards to get a credit rating.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Pre tax or take home?
take home, the £1900 is after tax
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I used to only get 800 pounds take home a month.
Yeah thats what I get
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
You could send one of the moderators, such as Biiiiink, a private message and ask them to move the thread for you.

In my overzealous desire to help you, I clicked on the "Report This Thread" button (the exclamation mark near the bottom left hand corner of the screen, next to the Karma button).

When you click that button, it brings up a text box in which you can explain to the mods why you want them to attend to a particular thread.

I had already clicked the "Send" button, and it was too late to retract my action, when I noticed a warning that the "Report This Thread" feature was to be used only to alert mods to offensive threads, spam, etc.

Anyway, my mistake notwithstanding, the mods will be notified that there is something fishy about your thread. When one of them gets a chance, I'm sure they'll investigate, see my request, and move your thread.

Sorry, since I have never lived in the UK, I cannot contribute usefully to the fundamental topic of your post.
Thanks Judy, Sue moved it for me
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

take home, the £1900 is after tax
One car, no kids, £720 housing costs, should be doable.

Heck, thats what we get by on now with two kids and two cars
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:52 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Survive on that - yes.

Thrive, as in holidays and all the other kinds of luxuries we like, nope. Or with a hell of a lot of planning and budgeting

Mrs M x
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
One car, no kids, £720 housing costs, should be doable.

Heck, thats what we get by on now with two kids and two cars
The reason why I'm asking is that I'm waying up the costs between here and the move to Canada (Halifax) and we don't end up with anything left over after the bills, so I was just wondering.

I don't go out at all and I don't have credit cards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.