Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Costco - worth the hype?

Costco - worth the hype?

Old Jul 7th 2019, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Lion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond reputeLion Heart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Costco - worth the hype?

Hi guys

Wondering if there are any Costco shoppers here? We are thinking of joining the Halifax Costco, but the annual membership is around $50 from memory.

Is it actually worth it? Is stuff actually cheaper there??
Old Jul 7th 2019, 12:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costco - worth the hype?

I don't know about Halifax, but I was a member of Costco in New York and yes, it is will worth the membership fee if you buy in bulk. Their meats and fish were especially good and well priced as were the frozen products. If you wear glasses, buy prescription meds, need large appliances, then those things along make it worthwhile, IMHO. Their refund policy can't be beat. It all depends on your needs and buying habits.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 12:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been but there has been the occasional thread and from the examples given it's always seemed to me that observational shopping (paying attention to flyers and having an awareness of how often great offers come around) coupled with a selection of the rival supermarkets convenient to home, work and other activities, works out cheaper.

You know, do your main shopping at one store but if half a dozen items are half the cost that week in a different store and you can drop by on your way home from work or combine it with another appointment, then do so. Huge savings can be made if you're able to do that.

People do believe they get their Costco membership fee back several times over and it's recommended for prescriptions - but no membership needed for that.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 1:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion Heart
Hi guys

Wondering if there are any Costco shoppers here? We are thinking of joining the Halifax Costco, but the annual membership is around $50 from memory.

Is it actually worth it? Is stuff actually cheaper there??
I have been a Costco member for over 20 years. For me yes it is well worth the membership. I have just received a cheque from Costco which covers my Exec. Membership fee many times. Also if you are not happy they will refund your membership.

You cannot beat Costco’s refund policy. Return goods anytime, no questions asked. Apart from electronics, which have a 3 months return policy, but Costco also give you an extra 1 year guarantee.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 1:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes.
+1
Old Jul 7th 2019, 2:47 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck

+1
plus another +1
Old Jul 7th 2019, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am pretty sure the 3 x Costcos where I live have installed something that when you walk through the main entrance it turns most people into shopping zombies and removes any common sense or etiquette associated with shopping.

They are all laid out pretty much the same as you walk in the photo processing is just off to the right and along with the optical section. The entrance forces you to either go down this lane or you can veer left where all the on sale stuff is and slightly to the right are the big screen TV's and other electronics. the entrance can be sometimes a bottle neck as shoppers wait for their other halves/family members or stop to inspect the coupons they are given at the entrance. Of course they all have to park their carts in such a way as you can't get past and are taken aback if you ask them to move their cart as you cant get past and you have rudely interrupted them reading about the $4 off the spring rolls.

The aisles are fairly big so think of them as a road and perhaps walk down them as you would drive a car ie on the right. Do not zig zag like the bloody moron who drives the car into and out of lanes without signalling or checking if its safe to do so.
Yes I understand the ketchup might be on the left hand side but couldn't you grab it on the way back down the aisle. Those extra steps aren't gonna kill you. Don't park the cart at an angle in the middle of the aisle so others can't get past especially if you are shopping in another aisle and you abandoned your cart. Have a plan and check all aisles out rather than just a few and then when at the checkout you don't need to send one of your kids to find the ketchup.

Heres a hint the 75" TV will not fit in a regular cart so look at getting one of the flat orange coloured ones that don't have sides on them. When waiting in line at the check outs have the membership card in your hand ready along with your debit/mastercard rather than searching for it in the black hole you call a handbag when you reach the checkout. No they don't accept VISA at the Canadian Costco;s.

Other than that Have A Nice Day.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We've never been, but we have friends who swear they are cheaper and that they get good deals.

At the same time we have other friends who don't think Costco is worth the membership fee for them, but are quite happy to go along with a friend every 3 or 4 months and pick up bulk dry goods like toilet paper, paper towels, etc. One of those friends loves Costco's hot dogs, and will go with her friend just so she can buy a hot dog with trimmings at the cook-out stall.

Like Bristol, we think we get better deals by using the flyers ...... what's the point of saving money on buying something that you would not ordinarily buy just because it's on sale a Costco that week????
Old Jul 7th 2019, 4:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I am pretty sure the 3 x Costcos where I live have installed something that when you walk through the main entrance it turns most people into shopping zombies and removes any common sense or etiquette associated with shopping.

They are all laid out pretty much the same as you walk in the photo processing is just off to the right and along with the optical section. The entrance forces you to either go down this lane or you can veer left where all the on sale stuff is and slightly to the right are the big screen TV's and other electronics. the entrance can be sometimes a bottle neck as shoppers wait for their other halves/family members or stop to inspect the coupons they are given at the entrance. Of course they all have to park their carts in such a way as you can't get past and are taken aback if you ask them to move their cart as you cant get past and you have rudely interrupted them reading about the $4 off the spring rolls.

The aisles are fairly big so think of them as a road and perhaps walk down them as you would drive a car ie on the right. Do not zig zag like the bloody moron who drives the car into and out of lanes without signalling or checking if its safe to do so.
Yes I understand the ketchup might be on the left hand side but couldn't you grab it on the way back down the aisle. Those extra steps aren't gonna kill you. Don't park the cart at an angle in the middle of the aisle so others can't get past especially if you are shopping in another aisle and you abandoned your cart. Have a plan and check all aisles out rather than just a few and then when at the checkout you don't need to send one of your kids to find the ketchup.

Heres a hint the 75" TV will not fit in a regular cart so look at getting one of the flat orange coloured ones that don't have sides on them. When waiting in line at the check outs have the membership card in your hand ready along with your debit/mastercard rather than searching for it in the black hole you call a handbag when you reach the checkout. No they don't accept VISA at the Canadian Costco;s.

Other than that Have A Nice Day.

Rants R U lately!
Old Jul 7th 2019, 4:33 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

My Cost-co membership is linked to the UK, I got it just because my mother wanted it - for some reason there, you have to be in a certain profession to get a membership, which at the time I was and she wasnt.

I didn't think much of UK Cost-Co and would only go to the Milton Keynes one, once in every couple of months. Prices were expensive and not good value compared to Tesco, Asda etc.

Fast forward to now and I am so pleased I have it. It is still linked to the UK so that my mother can use but if she didn't, I would transfer m membership here so I can purchase stuff on their online website and have my partner added to my account.

Cheese is much more better value in Cost-co than any other grocery store, I can buy eggs in bulk and I love their rotisserie chickens. Their produce (spinach, fruit etc.) is usually pretty good although I do sometimes go to Superstore for this.

I am probably in there once a week and when I go to the USA, I go into their Cost-co's as well.

Worth the $50 a year (although I pay about £45 for my card and my mothers)

Last edited by beckiwoo; Jul 7th 2019 at 4:39 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 4:37 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have been a Costco member for over 20 years. For me yes it is well worth the membership. I have just received a cheque from Costco which covers my Exec. Membership fee many times. Also if you are not happy they will refund your membership.
Ive seen people many times using these cheques to pay for their purchases. Is that with the membership or with the credit card thats linked to Cost-co?
Old Jul 7th 2019, 4:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Ive seen people many times using these cheques to pay for their purchases. Is that with the membership or with the credit card thats linked to Cost-co?
It’s with the membership, plus if you have a Costco credit card you will receive an additional cheque from the CC company.

I used my cheque for approx $50 purchase, I was given cash for the remainder of the cheque’s value.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If your budget per month is high enough then yes it's worth it in my view.

If you have a small monthly budget not really worth it as you end up with so few items when on a limited budget.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 5:18 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on your circumstances.

Almost every Aussie here in Seattle (because obviously every single one is in the FB group I joined ) said it's the place to go, so last week when we wanted to see TVs before buying we went and joined up. It was useful in that we saw the TVs and got some advice but we don't have a car and knew it wouldn't fit in an Uber, and delivery was estimated at 7-10 days, so we came home and ordered one on Amazon - had it within 2. We did buy a stick vac but prices were comparable to Amazon so I'm not sure we justified the membership, and we're hardly likely to shop there for food when everything is packaged to feed a small army. And TBH most of it not stuff we eat.

So for us no, definitely not worth the hype.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.