Costco

Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costco

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Have you not heard of their sanctions for such deceit? It involves half an hour in the stocks and rotten fruit in the car park.
Is that you in the stocks Bristol?
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Is that you in the stocks Bristol?
It might have been from that angle.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Regarding the membership fee....if you aren't satisfied with it Costco will give you a full refund. I have executive membership...the annual refund they send me more than covers the membership fee.
Same here, our rebate covers membership fee. Often buy in bulk on discount. Dog food goes on sale, we buy a years worth at something like 25% off (investments wont get close on that return). Costco is 30km trip and shopping carefully saves a bundle. We find some things cheaper some not, even for the same price, the return policy is of value to me.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:50 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

I go to Costco about four times a year and stock up on meat, cheese, non perishables and have a look at their current seasonal offerings. Our experience is that their meat can't be beat for quality; their selection of deli stuff is fun to try, wide range of Christmas goodies, summer garden plants are very good value.

Oh and their returns policy is amazing. We bought a jet washer about six years ago; only used it a couple of times each year but it just gave up the ghost this year. A friend told me to take it back (!) I wouldn't have thought about returning it but took the advice and hauled it back with instruction book and receipt (which I had stapled to the instruction book). They refunded the whole cost without question - apparently the key to returns is the instruction book - not receipt - they wouldn't have refunded without the book!

J
Old Oct 24th 2016, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Using today's prices, and an average fill of 31 liters once per month, looks like using Costco for gas would be about $6 per month cheaper. $1.10 & $1.15 for the gas prices.

Now the closest store is 30km away, so not worth it and there would be no savings, so its not a feasible option, just wanted to see if there was any significant savings.

Originally Posted by not2old
agree.

illusion for sure

I have been to Costco on a walk through recently with someone that has a membership. I did the comparative shopping list against what all is available locally in my area. Costco for quality or price on a full shopping cart of what we buy in groceries could not compare to my locals with price match.

And yes, we have a year supply of bog paper on special/price match to Costco Canada that is 23% cheaper from my local Canadian owned stores

On the Costco Gasoline price, well I suppose a yearly membership might be a break even, then again my closest Costco gas station is 12KM from my house.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Oct 24th 2016 at 7:04 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 1:25 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Using today's prices, and an average fill of 31 liters once per month, looks like using Costco for gas would be about $6 per month cheaper. $1.10 & $1.15 for the gas prices.

Now the closest store is 30km away, so not worth it and there would be no savings, so its not a feasible option, just wanted to see if there was any significant savings.
Costco gas is usually the same or a cent more than gas at the reserve and since the reserve is closer I go there. Plus they pump the gas for you at the reserve.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 2:41 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I got 'Free' citizenship photos today in Costco! I went in and there was a 'back in 15 mins sign' so I wandered around for ten and looked at sinks! Went back and a small queue had formed....I joined it, and eventually they found the camera, which was locked in a safe that nobody had the code for...we were kept informed during the wait, provided with drinks and snacks...told we were 'awesome' (with awesome regularity) and then all the passport people (lots) and citizen people (just me) got our photos taken at no charge....this is certainly good marketing.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You didn't know that because my not liking Petro-Canada is such a lame topic for a thread that I haven't made one.
Oh I must protest I need to know more about this. Will any brand of wallet jam the pump like this or is that also a limiting factor? I need answers damn it!

Also if you could do a thread on your top 5 petrol stations and their location that would be grand
Old Oct 25th 2016, 11:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Oh I must protest I need to know more about this. Will any brand of wallet jam the pump like this or is that also a limiting factor? I need answers damn it!

Also if you could do a thread on your top 5 petrol stations and their location that would be grand
The wallet deployed is branded SAP. SAP make accounting and supply chain software rather than wallets, this one was a giveaway at their booth at some trade show or other. My acquisition of the wallet didn’t indicate a particular interest in SAP products but a willingness to engage in trade show trinket trading. Our firm’s superior gimmick (of which I truly bought 20,000 from Prikesh(sp?) Jani) who used to sit on the next stall at the Yard) was easily traded for all manner of bric-a-brac such as USB powered fans and lights, t shirts and leather goods. I was also offered a turn throwing balls at the dunk tank but that was several days into that show and, after complaints, the stripper on the plank was no longer nearly naked; it seemed somehow a waste of time to throw balls and dunk someone who was wearing a wet suit. I did trade one for a go at the cowboy themed booth where you had to hit a see-saw with a giant hammer to propel a rubber chicken into a pot in order to win a stuffed toy (I didn’t get a stuffed toy as that firm fixed their stuffed toy giveaway so you only won if you worked for a firm on their list of desirable prospects).

The effectiveness of the wallet for pump jamming doubtless depends on the content, I can’t elucidate on that as the wallet is in the car and I’ve taken my coat off now. It is, of course, stuffed with ultra-premium charge cards, membership cards for elite clubs and licenses to perform activities only feasible if you’re fabulously fit, there’s some blood and guts on it. It’s the Kamloops model.

Last edited by dbd33; Oct 25th 2016 at 11:53 am.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 11:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I don’t have a top five favourite petrol stations! I have a vague idea that petrol is cheap at Costco but I haven’t bother computing how many minutes of queuing up for cheap petrol with the engine running wipes out the saving. I expect Bristol could tell you if you supplied the size of the engine, recent compression readings and the ambient temperature. (Speaking of Bristol, there are no gimmicks at the Costco check out, people put your goods in the cart as quickly as is humanly possible. I recently remarked of a work project that to get it done we’d have to work like the Costco check out people and was understood).

I naively drifted along knowing only that if I wasn’t near the station where the Thalidomide victim works I didn’t much mind except that I didn’t want petrol from Petro-Can due to the broken pumps. Nor Canadian Tyre, all round shitty corporation also with broken pumps. I had a vague preference for independent stations such as Beaver (without having checked the meaning of “independent”) when my wife pointed out that the difference between the 89 cents near home and the 105 cents near work is quite a lot on a tank. (I haven’t paid attention to fuel consumption since they stopped labelling in gallons as it’s too much of a faff to convert the litres to get to mpg and I’m going to drive the car anyway). I now fill up near home and, since the “always less than a buck” station has pump catches it works out very well.

hth.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 11:57 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Costco isn't for poor people. You have to be able to spend a lot of money in one go (on industrial-scale quantities of Coors Light, judging by the people from Ottawa that frequent my local store).

The meat is certainly good. We buy bits of beef that look like something that should be dangling from a horse. It gets cut up and frozen. We get many meals out of one bit.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 1:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvy
The meat is certainly good. We buy bits of beef that look like something that should be dangling from a horse. It gets cut up and frozen. We get many meals out of one bit.
Writing as someone who frequently observes bits dangling from horses, I hope that's not the case.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 1:59 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I haven’t paid attention to fuel consumption since they stopped labelling in gallons as it’s too much of a faff to convert the litres to get to mpg and I’m going to drive the car anyway.
much the same.

I generally put $20 worth in at a time, reset the trip clock to see approx the distance the $20 takes me. With our 2002 Ford Escape doing mostly local commuting, no highway driving, It generally gets 140km average on the $20.

With all the back & forth twice per day to my FIL (nine traffic lights each way) plus his several monthly appointments, we do average 1500km/mth. So its approx a $200 gas bill that I do not want or need to spend on him that could go towards better things.

Said to my wife we should replace the heavy duty 3 litre SUV with a smart car to save the gas money, she won't go for it.

I now fill up near home and, since the “always less than a buck” station has pump catches it works out very well.
same here, support local owned small gas station

Last edited by not2old; Oct 25th 2016 at 2:07 pm. Reason: edited
Old Oct 25th 2016, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
much the same.

I generally put $20 worth in at a time, reset the trip clock to see approx the distance the $20 takes me. With our 2002 Ford Escape doing mostly local commuting, no highway driving, It generally gets 140km average on the $20.

With all the back & forth twice per day to my FIL (nine traffic lights) plus his appointments, we do average 1500km/mth. So its approx a $200 gas bill that I do not want or need to spend on him that could go towards better things.

Said to my wife we should replace the heavy duty 3 litre SUV with a smart car to save the gas money, she won't go for it.

same here, support local owned small gas station
The air temperature seems to make a much bigger difference than I realised it would. Using the litres/100km thing that the car measures in the summer was just over 9 litres (8 litres on a very long, hot journey), and I am already up to nearly 11litres/100 km. Got to well over 12 litres last winter.

I despair. The fact that I even know this, let alone post about it is nearly as depressing as the dark evenings.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Costco was great for me, when living in the back-of-nowhere, working silly & weird hours full-time even further into the bonw, & providing for a family of 5. A once a month shop, space to store bulk purchases (big house, humongous freezer, 2 fridges) was worthwhile, even with a 2 hour round trip.

The prices/guarantee on non foodstuff were excellent too, I'm sure they still are.

Now that I live alone in an apartment & work mostly from home, in a town with 5 supermarkets, a wholesaler open to the public & a farmers' market (in the summer) within walking distance, it's not worth it to me. Petrol is consistently cheaper at local station, although Costco petrol is the cheapest in the town it's located in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.