Corned beef hash

Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of
Default Corned beef hash

Well I just HAD to have some yesterday, so I made a huge pot of it and keep having it fried up crispy with a puddle of ketchup - yummy!

This morning I put it on my update on Facebook and those of my friends from 'daaaarn saaarf' haven't heard of it. Is corned beef hash just a northern thing, like peas pudding?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corned beef hash

Originally Posted by Spritzer
Well I just HAD to have some yesterday, so I made a huge pot of it and keep having it fried up crispy with a puddle of ketchup - yummy!

This morning I put it on my update on Facebook and those of my friends from 'daaaarn saaarf' haven't heard of it. Is corned beef hash just a northern thing, like peas pudding?

I'd never had it nor neard of it til meeting my ex who was Derbys born, Yorks bred.... but fried? Nah. Kind of glooped together - corned beef, onions, diced cooked spuds, an oxo cube and then served with ketchup.
nb it's pease pudding. Don't ask me why!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fionamw
I'd never had it nor neard of it til meeting my ex who was Derbys born, Yorks bred.... but fried? Nah. Kind of glooped together - corned beef, onions, diced cooked spuds, an oxo cube and then served with ketchup.
nb it's pease pudding. Don't ask me why!
No Oxo - but sage for us!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:24 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from the south - both parents Eastend born and bred, growing up I was given that awful dollop of pease pudding next to my yummy bit of ham and mash, I feel the same about butter beans - there are just some things that shouldn't be placed on a plate. As for corned beef hash - yummy, I still make it myself - possibly to a different method, I dunno, I just do what my mum does. Boiled the spuds, then fry together with onion and corned beef, add tinned tomatoes and sometimes eggs too. Season to taste. I actually bought a couple of tins of corned beef yesterday to have in my cupboard to make this delicacy
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I'm from the south - both parents Eastend born and bred, growing up I was given that awful dollop of pease pudding next to my yummy bit of ham and mash, I feel the same about butter beans - there are just some things that shouldn't be placed on a plate. As for corned beef hash - yummy, I still make it myself - possibly to a different method, I dunno, I just do what my mum does. Boiled the spuds, then fry together with onion and corned beef, add tinned tomatoes and sometimes eggs too. Season to taste. I actually bought a couple of tins of corned beef yesterday to have in my cupboard to make this delicacy
Chop onion and fry well
Add sage

Boil and mash tatties - add a little milk and butter and some s + p
OR
USE NEW POTS and just chop them up a bit

Chop corned beef into cubes
Stir into mash/pots a bit but don't break it up too much.

Make into pattie shapes and fry till crisp both sides.
Yum!

Bet you make some sooner than planned!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Yorkshire born and bred.
I grew up on Corned beef hash.

Thow diced onion and diced potatoes into a pan.
Cover with water, boil until pots no longer crunchy.
Add diced corned beef.
Pepper to season.
And serve with doorsteps of proper bread and real butter.....yummy.

Only thing better is eating it the next day, it improves the flavours.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spritzer
Chop onion and fry well
Add sage

Boil and mash tatties - add a little milk and butter and some s + p
OR
USE NEW POTS and just chop them up a bit

Chop corned beef into cubes
Stir into mash/pots a bit but don't break it up too much.

Make into pattie shapes and fry till crisp both sides.
Yum!

Bet you make some sooner than planned!
We used to have it this way too, but my mum called them Corned beef fritters.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 9:10 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

My family receipe for Corned Beef Hash is basically to boil up some spuds, chop up the corned beef into cubs and them mash the whole lot together and stick it back into the oven until its gets a crispy crust...........yum yum
Old Jul 18th 2009, 9:16 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I am from Scotland and we cooked corned beef hash both here and back home. I carmalise my onions before mixing through. I also add half a can of baked beans in tomato sauce - I used to tell my kids it was cowboy pie
Old Jul 18th 2009, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp
I'm Yorkshire born and bred.
I grew up on Corned beef hash.

Thow diced onion and diced potatoes into a pan.
Cover with water, boil until pots no longer crunchy.
Add diced corned beef.
Pepper to season.
And serve with doorsteps of proper bread and real butter.....yummy.

Only thing better is eating it the next day, it improves the flavours.
Never any left! This sounds like my ex's recipe (oxo was obviously an add-on!) .... oh & we didn't eat the b&b doorsteps, but I remember his mum & dad in Brid always having b&b with everything so maybe that's a Yorkshire thing.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 11:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of it, never tried it, but it sounds awful. Although I must admit I'm probably not the right person to answer this as my mum's cooking basically involved microwaving frozen pizza's.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 4:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My mom used to make that when I was a kid, and we were in California but never did like it, and still dont like it.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:01 am
Banned

MMM_TO is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up on the stuff, bloody lazy parents. Yuck
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MMM_TO

Each to their own. You couldn't make it in a microwave or buy it in a shop (I think ) so lazy's a relative term!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MMM_TO
The very fact that most of us that grew up eating corned beef hash come from traditionally poorer (in times past) areas of the UK shows that it was born out of lack of funds for more exotic fayre not laziness I think.

But whatever, there is still nothing better on a cold winters day, so most of us continue to eat it even though we can afford not too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.