copyright question

Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute
Default copyright question

Hi

just wondered if anyone knew the answer to this? I want to print part of a Kipling poem in an advert I am putting in a magazine. Am I allowed to do this? Is it in the public domain?
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:52 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: copyright question

Originally Posted by Louisecooke
Hi

just wondered "if" anyone knew the answer to this? I want to print part of a Kipling poem in an advert I am putting in a magazine. Am I allowed to do this? Is it in the public domain?

Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:20 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a grey area."Quotes" are sometimes ok, covered by fair usage I think, but if it's for an ad - hard to say.

Give this lot a quick email -

The Kipling Society,
You can contact the Hon. Secretary by email at
[email protected].
Old Oct 30th 2009, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that, it's actually for an obit, not really an ad as such, so hopefully will be OK. And no it wasn't 'If'
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:32 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for that, it's actually for an obit, not really an ad as such, so hopefully will be OK. And no it wasn't 'If'
If it's just appearing the once and you credit Kipling then I can't see anyone suing over it.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:34 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
If it's just appearing the once and you credit Kipling then I can't see anyone suing over it.
Especially as it's clearly not for any commercial gain.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

just wondered if anyone knew the answer to this? I want to print part of a Kipling poem in an advert I am putting in a magazine. Am I allowed to do this? Is it in the public domain?
When did he die? I can't be bothered to look that up, copyright only survives for a certain period after the deceased death. That's the reason that Shakespeare and all those dead composers are everywhere.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 7:12 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

I read 'Kipling ... advert' quickly and thought this would be a thread about the apple pies. Way to disappoint me.

Wikipedia says that Kipling died in 1936. And everything on Wikipedia is true.

Copyright varies from one place to another, so an accurate answer will depend on where you intend to publish.

In Canada, copyright is life plus 50 years, so Kipling's copyrights expired at the end of 1986. In the UK, Kipling's copyrights might have been revived by the 1995 Regulations, but would in any event have expired again at the end of 2006.

Last edited by cornmatthew; Oct 31st 2009 at 7:20 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you everyone, I guess I am safe then
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

I received a lovely pen and ink Christmas card one year with a man with a log on his shoulder in front of a fire. The next year I scanned it in and added our company name down the log - we do flooring and I thought it could look like a roll of carpet. I even sent it back to the woman who sent it to me (without realising) only for her to call me and tell me that I had broken copyright laws! It was an original drawing of her fathers who was a well known artist who had exhibited at the Royal Academy etc. Fortunately she thought it was hilarious and said that her father would of loved it!

Did I feel stupid or what
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice

In the UK, copyright was 80 years after the death of the author. However, if you are quoting for non-commercial purposes and citing the source (and it's not going to be on every billboard in town) then you should be covered.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

In the UK, copyright was 80 years after the death of the author. However, if you are quoting for non-commercial purposes and citing the source (and it's not going to be on every billboard in town) then you should be covered.
That's interesting to know - although I don't think he had been dead as long as that. Would of been fine if I hadn't sent it to her - she said she dinned out on the story so I think I was very lucky!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:49 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

The easy way to figure out if something is in copyright or not is to ask, was it published and author died before Steamboat Willy was made, or after. If before then it's fine, if after then it's in copyright. Copyright laws always get revised when Steamboat Willy is due to become copyright free.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

before Steamboat Willy was made, or after.
I understand what you are saying but who was Steamboat Willy! And why are all copyright cases measured against him? (your answer needs to be less than 500 words 12 point and not include pictures...)
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate holt
I understand what you are saying but who was Steamboat Willy! And why are all copyright cases measured against him? (your answer needs to be less than 500 words 12 point and not include pictures...)
Steam Boat Willy was the first Disney cartoon released starring Mickey Mouse. Disney don't want to lose the copyright.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.