Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Cooking Turkey from frozen?

Cooking Turkey from frozen?

Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cooking Turkey from frozen?

I know everyone has their preferred methods of preparation/cooking but what about cooking from frozen?

I thought it was a no-no to cook unthawed poultry

Last Xmas Superstore/Loblaws advertised Butterball Turkeys at a silly price and I bought one, even though I had the one for xmas already.

Or rather, they sold out but made their own equivalent available for the same price.

I cooked it earlier this year and it was easily the best Turkey I have ever cooked - better than my mum's too, but sshhhh.

I was so impressed that when the offer came around again I bought another. It was Butterball this time.

But the label says to cook from frozen. It actually says not to thaw.

Anyone done it?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:40 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking Turkey from frozen?

we just used the exact same one, and also for xmas last year, tasted fab, didnt dry out and nice and easy

Like you, was a bit worried as had always seen they should be thawed out, but this one is specific in that you have to cook from frozen
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I know everyone has their preferred methods of preparation/cooking but what about cooking from frozen?

I thought it was a no-no to cook unthawed poultry

Last Xmas Superstore/Loblaws advertised Butterball Turkeys at a silly price and I bought one, even though I had the one for xmas already.

Or rather, they sold out but made their own equivalent available for the same price.

I cooked it earlier this year and it was easily the best Turkey I have ever cooked - better than my mum's too, but sshhhh.

I was so impressed that when the offer came around again I bought another. It was Butterball this time.

But the label says to cook from frozen. It actually says not to thaw.

Anyone done it?
I've no idea, but what could possibly be the problem?

I await enlightenment.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've no idea, but what could possibly be the problem?
Well that's weird.

Back before t'internet I was always aware of newspaper/magazine articles and TV progs stressing the importance of thawing properly.

The net is full of sites saying how it should be done and why it needs to be done.

Out of curiosity I searched about cooking from frozen and there are loads of sites about how it's okay to do that too.

If I search on healthy consumption of chips and beer, I wonder if I'll find loads of sites saying that's okay too.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

the_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud of

We cooked from frozen last Christmas and it was easily the best turkey ever, moist and delicious! We'll be doing it again this year for sure!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well that's weird.

Back before t'internet I was always aware of newspaper/magazine articles and TV progs stressing the importance of thawing properly.

The net is full of sites saying how it should be done and why it needs to be done.

Out of curiosity I searched about cooking from frozen and there are loads of sites about how it's okay to do that too.

If I search on healthy consumption of chips and beer, I wonder if I'll find loads of sites saying that's okay too.
We BBQ turkey and cooking from frozen the outside would cook and burn before the inside had thawed or cooked. If poultry is not cooked right through it can give you the squits or worse.

A turkey done on the BBQ is way better than in an oven.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
We BBQ turkey and cooking from frozen the outside would cook and burn before the inside had thawed or cooked. If poultry is not cooked right through it can give you the squits or worse.

A turkey done on the BBQ is way better than in an oven.
No argument there. If you're doing a BBQ it'd be really dodgy.

How big a beer can do you need?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:20 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

The best turkey I ever ate was cooked 'Southern style' by friends from Louisiana and Texas. It was deep-fried in a cauldron of boiling oil.

Now THAT was a moist turkey.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:21 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
How big a beer can do you need?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
The best turkey I ever ate was cooked 'Southern style' by friends from Louisiana and Texas. It was deep-fried in a cauldron of boiling oil.

*** Should you decide to deep fry a turkey, please defrost in first. Time spent in hospital with third degree burns is not a good thing. ***
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

I enjoyed one of those. The hosts didn't have a back yard so they cooked it on the pavement, sidewalk to them, in Brooklyn. It drew a crowd.